speakers

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Any idea what's coursing one of my new diamond 220 speaker to distort and do like a deep echo like rattle when playing certain songs that have a deep stringed echo bass line in. I changed around the speakers and it does not happen on the other speaker. Only two songs I noticed this problem on is sign o the times (Prince) and a seasick Steve track.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like a voicecoil rubbing at extremes of travel, might be miss-aligned so under warrantee, might be overdriven at somepoint so chargeable. if it is new and not overdriven, return it for exchange.

If that is not possible and it only happens at extremes you can try the following, very carefully. Play the offending track and apply light pressure to the edges of the bass cone, not the surround, and see what happens. Star with top, then bottom, left right etc and see if you can alter the amount of distortion. This should change quite noticeably.

See if you can find a point where light pressure removes the problem altogether, this may or may not be possible. If you can not get rid of the distortion you will need to replace the bass driver.

If you can get rid of the problem, you need to remove the bass driver and fit 'shims' between the bass driver frame and the baffle. Careful positioning of the shims combined with careful adjustment pf the tightness of the fixing bolts may, gently, twist the frame of the speaker and move the coil back into allignment.

I have done this many times but it is not easy for the inexperienced, be careful.

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Cheers it was the plastic surround that holds the driver in place to the baffle. It's vibrating. The bolt holes are slack and don't tighten enuff

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
cal said:
Cheers it was the plastic surround that holds the driver in place to the baffle. It's vibrating. The bolt holes are slack and don't tighten enuff

Eminently fixable but if it looks difficult, ask for replacements.

TRENDING THREADS