Speakers upgrade for Arcam alpha 8/8P combo on a Vinyl system

Pesky

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently running a Thorens 125 MK I, with a SME III arm and an Ortofon super OM 30, in a Arcam alpha 8/8P combo.
The system is vinyl exclusive and I have a pair of B&W 602 S2 speakers. One is facing a tweeter problem so maybe a time for the long waiting upgrade.

Any recommendations on a budget a little over 500$/€ would be appreciated.
I listen to jazz almost exclusively.

Hi,

I am currently running a Thorens 125 MK I, with a SME III arm and an Ortofon super OM 30, in a Arcam alpha 8/8P combo.
The system is vinyl exclusive and I have a pair of B&W 602 S2 speakers. One is facing a tweeter problem so maybe a time for the long waiting upgrade.

Any recommendations on a budget a little over 500$/€ would be appreciated.
I listen to jazz almost exclusively.
Wharfedale 12.2 or Mission QX2 are good but no idea what these cost where you are

Thanks for the suggestions. I am located in Portugal.
I have to opportunity to get a good deal on the Wharfedale 12.3, within the budget. Will be a safe option?
I would say so if you want floorstanding speakers.
I thought you were looking for standmounts....
you will be lucky to find the PMC DB1 speakers for your budget but they are good.

Pesky

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
I would say so if you want floorstanding speakers.
I thought you were looking for standmounts....
you will be lucky to find the PMC DB1 speakers for your budget but they are good.

I appreciate the input. No closed options regarding standmounts or floorstanding.
B&W S2 keep showing on *bay - 602 or 603 within the 200-300£ range. Maybe an option.
However, I keep reading that B&W and Arcam alpha are not a great match, I was considering some changes...

PMC DB1 speakers are a bit up in the budget
I can get the Wharfedale 12.3 local, around 500€

I appreciate the input. No closed options regarding standmounts or floorstanding.
B&W S2 keep showing on *bay - 602 or 603 within the 200-300£ range. Maybe an option.
However, I keep reading that B&W and Arcam alpha are not a great match, I was considering some changes...

PMC DB1 speakers are a bit up in the budget
I can get the Wharfedale 12.3 local, around 500€
can you audition them first?

D

Deleted member 160668

I have in the past owned I Alpha 9 gear. I had B&W 602 S2 / 601 S2 / PMC DB1i's all on these.

The DB1's will be the best IME. If you can pick up a pair you won't go wrong. Make sure you treat them to some decent stands, your ears will thank you. The DB1's now represent excellent vfm for what they sell for, they are little crackers and I love them.

I have in the past owned I Alpha 9 gear. I had B&W 602 S2 / 601 S2 / PMC DB1i's all on these.

The DB1's will be the best IME. If you can pick up a pair you won't go wrong. Make sure you treat them to some decent stands, your ears will thank you. The DB1's now represent excellent vfm for what they sell for, they are little crackers and I love them.
Yeah I was smitten by the DB1i back in 2008. With the Harbeth P3 and Amphion Argon 1, the DB1s are some of my fav small monitors. Great with any Arc amp.

I don't think he's likely to get them and decent stands for his budget unfortunately.....

D

Deleted member 160668

I don't think he's likely to get them and decent stands for his budget unfortunately.....
€700 should be enough, assuming they sell for same equivalent in OP's country.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts