Speakers to match Rega Planet 2000 and Arcam A85

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I have bought an Arcam A85 to go with my Rega Planet 2000, but now my Mordaunt Short 902is are decidedly the weakest link in my system (I previously had a cheap Marantz PM4200 from an earlier system).

What speakers would you recommend to go with this setup? I'm on a budget but would be able to stretch to £500–600 eventually, and I'm open to buy ex demo / second-hand / on Ebay in principle.

My living situation is transient at the moment, so I can't say much about the space, but I think standmounters will be appropriate.

A few months ago, I heard the Arcam A32 with Proacs (Response 1SC and D15) and was smitten, so Proacs are definitely on the list. However, on my budget I would be limited to the Studio 110s. Has anyone got those with Arcam amplification? How does that combination work? I would be very interested in trying them out!

What other options should I consider?

I listen mostly to classical music, but also to some jazz and some other stuff.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I'd be a sinner if I didn't suggest ATC SCM11. Out of the budget but you might find some on offer or used. I can believe that they suit classical very well being very neutral.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Igglebert. I'll think on them. They sure are ugly though.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

The less expensive (relatively!) Sonus Faber Concertinos are excellent with that mix of music, as is any SF speaker. They don't come up often secondhand, which says a lot.

A

Anonymous

Rega r3 floorstanders! very dinky for floorstanders and would sound good with your amp/cd.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps try something like Monitor Audio RS6. They seemed ok with an A38. I had Studio 110's and they sounded a bit light weight with arcam amplifiers/systems, eventually settled on cyrus. Just depends how you like your sound and you may well disagree.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Or if ProAc float your boat, see if you can stretch to (or find ex-dem) the Tablette 8 Reference Signature, which are astonishing.

John, do you think the Tablettes are better than the Studios? I haven't heard them, but they seem very small.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all for the suggestions; I'll look them up.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I would still like to hear from those of you who run Arcam amplification with Proac speakers. Anyone?

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

i have an a65 linked to a p80...biwired through tablette 2000s ...had this set up about 5 years the definition is superb but it still lacks bass for me...the addition of the p80 helped but didnt solve...tom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts