Speakers, stands + cables being delivered tomorrow for my Yamaha as-500... Help!? Banana plugs?

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, i have a delivery coming tomorrow, though i'm slightly confused when it comes to the speaker cables...

obviously i could connect the cable straight into the amp + and - each side, though i am getting banana plugs, do i have to unscrew or take any caps off in order for these to fit?

Here's a picture of the back pane of the as500...

http://homeavdirect.co.uk/media/shop/var/variation_extra_image/197.jpg?v=1287228455

A

Anonymous

It fits the banana plugs but it was designed for the spade/bare wire connection. As you can see the actual screw part has a small hole facing out, I widened this with a screwdriver and the plugs fit perfectly going directly into it.

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Great, thanks...

Yeah i noticed in the manual under 'connecting via banana plug) it says - except for Asia, U.K and Europe...

So the metal holes on each terminal, just widen them using a screwdriver? I just don't like the thought of having to do that to a brand new amplifier!

Will there be much difference in sound quality by using banana cables, as opposed to just bare wires?

John Duncan

No sound difference no. but easier to manage. On my yamaha AV amp, I just pushed the banana plugs in hard, it breaks the 'seal' over the sockets (which are like that in the UK to comply with a stupid health and safety law).

matthewpiano

The sockets have insets in them. Use a small screwdriver that fits snugly into the sockets. Push the end of the screwdriver in and then pull it back out again, bringing the insets with it. Be gentle and don't push the screwdriver too far. It can require a few attempts and some patience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts