Speakers position in an attic

manufelices

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I need help to place my speakers in an attic. The measurements are 5x3.2 meters. The highest area of the room measures 2.5 meters. They are currently located in the part of the room with the lowest ceiling. The listening point is forming an equilateral triangle and behind, there are about 1.5 meters. Is it correct or is there a tip or position to take into account?

Thanks a lot!!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Positioned right with respect to the sloping ceiling. Your present arrangment will have lesser ceiling reflections than with a even ceiling.

You also have a equilateral listening triangle which again is bang on.

Now iam assuming that you are sitting with your back 1.5m from the rear wall. There is a 2:1 ratio I read sometime back. They mentioned having the back wall at 1/3rd the depth of the room from the listening position. You are almost there too, maybe just have to increase rear wall distance by 20cms to 170 cms :)

I think your setup is spot on with respect to the room and your seating distance in most aspects. If you are still having issues, it could be with your speakers proximity to their rear wall.

Are you having any issues as of now

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I find you have to experiment, some spaeakers are designed to go close to the wall, others need space around them. Some should be straight ahead, others angle in or aimed at the listener.

What speakers do you have?

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Because we cannot be in the room with you it's very difficult to recommend anything.
I would contact your speaker brand for some advice regards your room accoustics.
Also experiment with a friend or family member in the room with you, you can sit in your listening spot and get a friend to move the speakers around until your happy with what you hear.

manufelices

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot! After some experiments, I have found the right position. I had problems with the reverberations but now are solved with bass traps and some acoustics panels. The speakers are a pair of standmounted MA BR2, that I will upgrade. The next question is: floorstandig or standmounted? I have some models in mind and I’ve tested all four, but not in an attic:

- MA Silver 200

- Tannoy XT6F

- Q-acoustics Concept 40

- Focal Aria 906 (standmounted)

Any suggestion?

manufelices

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
My concern is the total volume of the room (attic). The lowest point of the ceiling is just behind the speakers (71 cm) and the highest behind the listening point (2.5 m)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
manufelices said:
My concern is the total volume of the room (attic). The lowest point of the ceiling is just behind the speakers (71 cm) and the highest behind the listening point (2.5 m)

1.5 MTR behind the speakers . The ceiling height of 71 cms should not be a issue with concept 40's . Though I cannot comment on the other speakers. Though I have only 40 CMS behind the concept 40's in my setup. They are quite close to my TV cabinet and even with this restriction, the available volume seems to be sufficient to not boom.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts