Speakers - mix n match?

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to buy some speakers and have seen things like the B&W MT30 (now discontinued), Dali fazer etc.

What's the general concensus about a mix-n-match approach - i.e. get sub woofer from another company for example? Do shops sell like this, or is it one big bundle and you end up paying for 2 sub woofers?

thanks

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
As far as I am aware most speakers can be purchased individually.

A general rule of thumb is to have your main speakers from the same range, as their drivers will be tonally and timbre matched to ensure they integrate well together. Subwoofers on the other hand can integrate well with a much wider range of speakers.

If you are really budget limited though, and planning an upgrade path, replace the front three speakers for identical/same range models, then change the surrounds at a later date.Though personally, I prefer to wait, save up, and do it in one hit!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977 said:
If you are really budget limited though, and planning an upgrade path, replace the front three speakers for identical/same range models, then change the surrounds at a later date.Though personally, I prefer to wait, save up, and do it in one hit!

If it's for home cinema I personally wouldn't worry about the surrounds not matching (I don't in fact, my surrounds are a totally different brand to the fronts), but you definitely need to ensure the front three match. If it's surround sound music though you probably want to have the lot matching.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts