B&W mix n match?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was all set for the B&W MT30 pack with an Onkyo 606. Floor standing speakers wont fit at the front, and any boxy speakers will struggle to slip in with the tv on the tiny available cabinet space I have (negligable room either side of tv, including wall options, due to a window/fireplace).

Besides, I loved the PV1.

Then I started to get curious.

I wanted more grunt from the centre speaker, as I felt the MT1's sacrificed some quality here (£ goes to the sub in the package?).

I dabbled with the B&W 6 series 62 centre, which I could mount on a shelf above the tv (albeit in the corner of the room). It sounded better in my demo, but I'm wondering if it will upset the balance long term?

My questions are really: what's the best way to upgrade this system's centre speaker for more clout (clarity and presence rather than sheer volume)? Any other options/makes? Is the 62 the best way? I couldn't go any bigger! I don't think I could do the complete 6 series front and MT1's rear (like the Prof) as the boxes would dominate, and the 46" tv leaves no room for anything beyond the compact style types.

I'm also wavering on the 875 too, just to further ramp up the credit crunch!

Opinions valued, please, preferably from experts here who have had the benefit of actually hearing lots of centres, and mix and match systems. I know what is good in its own right, but what is best for balance and delivery in my proposed line up?

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation, except I already have an Onkyo 875 (Highly recommended). Looking to buy some speakers in the next couple of weeks.

I have heard from others that the centre speaker could have been better. So would also like to hear some expert opinions on the above post, I would also like to know if the KEF3005se with the PV1 would be better than the MT30 speakers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="SAP7"]I dabbled with the B&W 6 series 62 centre, which I could mount on a shelf above the tv (albeit in the corner of the room). It sounded better in my demo, but I'm wondering if it will upset the balance long term?[/quote]
Trust your ears - if it sounded better to you, that's a good start! Might be worth seeing if you can get a home trial of this centre and an extra M1 so you can swap them about at home and see what you think after a week or so. A decent dealer will let you do this (normally, you'll pay for everything and then get a refund for whichever component you bring back).

A

Anonymous

I know it sounded good... question is are there better combos?

Demo at home isn't an easy option, as I'd have to build a shelf in the corner to take the 62. If I went with the MT1 I'd have a real mess to clear up after!

Need to get it right 1st time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts