Speakers for Unison Research Unico amp & Unico CD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody! Which speakers to choose for my Unison Research combo? I am thinking of Diapason Adamantes III or Martin Logan smaller hybrids. Any opinions?

A

Anonymous

I am sorry, rest of my system : WireWorld Polaris 5 speaker cable (2x2,5m), WireWorld Silver Eclipse 5ý RCA (0,5m), WireWorld Aurora 5ý (2m) power cords and (currently) Martin Logan Mosaic hybrid floorstanders (magnetostatic not electrostatic). There you go.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I never heard the Adamantes or Martin Logan as they are not to my taste. My friend is using Kharma Ceramique with his Unison research and the system produced a sweet, valve like sound but no mean lacking in bass or details.

Other than that may be try some ProAc 140 or PMC FB+

A

Anonymous

Hi,Cyberbob
I really think you should try a pair of Sonus faber concertino (£1150 inc stands) with the setup you have mentioned.
They sound magical and they look gorgeous.
In case your wondering my system is Cyrus cd8x,Unison research seconda,Sonus faber concertino (gloss black).
One thing i found them lacking in is transparency,but they still sound excellent.
Try a dem. Bye

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Or possibly some of the Opera Linea Callas speakers, which are very much in the same mold as the Sonus Fabers. Like Diapason, they share a UK distributor with Unison Research, in the form of UKD, and the company tends to range products that work well together. For the same reason, the Final speaker range might be worth a look, too...

A

Anonymous

Andrew, what do you think about cable choice for Unison combo? Your personal opinion, please. Sorry for bother You.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Cyberbob"]Andrew, what do you think about cable choice for Unison combo? Your personal opinion, please. Sorry for bother You.[/quote]

Never found a CD player/amp combo that didn't work well with Chord Co cables. Have a listen and decide which one is worth buying - I'd be looking at Chorus 2 or thereabouts, plus Odyssey or Epic speaker cable

A

Anonymous

Burhan,

I tried both of them and older is better than new model (my opinion). Sorry. I want something better. Money is not issue but I don't want to spend sky high money. About 3000 Euros.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, You get me wrong. I am very happy with my cables. What I asked You is opinion about my cable choice, of course if you audition them. These cables are very expensive. Sorry.

A

Anonymous

Btw, I listened to Chord Co. cables, Signature IC and Signature speaker cable and I found them very, very calm for my Combo. Very nice cables but...too calm.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I tend to think differently about pairing the Unico with Italian speakers like Sonus Faber and Opera...I would avoid doing that. If I may generalise, Italian speakers tend to be on the warm side, and pairing the Unico (especially with the stock tubes) with them would result in a sound that as one member pointed out above, lacks transparency. Currently I have the Amperex 7316 in my Unico, which has so much better clarity, transparency and tautness compared to the stock tubes.

A

Anonymous

Hifikrazy,

Yes I know that, that's why I have this cables and (currently) Martin Logan's "Mosaic" magnetostatic speakers. I like their sound, but...I would like to try ML's new model "Source" which has electrostatic panel. Can You tell me the rest of your equipment?

A

Anonymous

Btw, stock tubes are "Electro Harmonix" Made in Russia, correct if I am wrong. Next replace will be I think NOS tubes made by TELEFUNKEN.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Why don't you join us? We need a bit of emotive touch here.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Cyberbob, click on my nick and you'll see my system listed in my bio. Stock tubes are Jan Philips 5814a. I haven't tried the Telefunken but I hear they're pretty good too.

A

Anonymous

Very nice setup, if you have money, replace Qed speaker cables with better one and enjoy !!! I mean, nice cables but your system deserves better. The reason why I bought Unico CD (approx 1500 £ ) is just styling...what to say...nice emotive sound, not the most subltle of machines. For me and my ears, nice Italian combo. Check my bio.

By!

Btw, I checked again stock tubes: Unico Amp - Electro Harmonix
Unico CD - Philips 5814a

Enjoy !

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Strange, my amp has the Philips 5814a as stock tubes instead. I have tried the Electro Harmonix as well, and found them better than the Philips. For new production tubes, the JJ is also quite good. As for NOS tubes, I didn't like the RCA Clear Top, but I love the Amperex Bugleboy 7316 I'm currently using.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts