Speakers for Rega Brio R

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got about £500 - £600 to spend on speaker upgrade (due to spending a lot less n TT upgrade :bounce: )

Current speakers MA BX2

Short list (from reviews and forum hunting)

MA RX2

Kef R100

Kef Q300

Rega RS1

Any advice welcome

Andy

I think you'll need to identify the deficiences of the BX2, as this could be transferred to the RX1s. Can't comment on the Brio-R, but from others this amp seems to be fairly flexible when it comes to speaker matching.

Try and locate a couple of dealers.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Andy,

I have recently demoed R100, Dyn X12 & Rega RS3 to replace my RS1

RS1 are lovely little speakers and match well with the Brio R, only upgraded as needed a bigger speaker in my new lounge.

The R100 & Dyn X12 are superb speakers as are the RS3 - the RS3 just did it for me, they sounded the most musical, but I am not saying thet are better than the KEF or Dyn but in my system they sounded the best and presented thereselves to be the most musical and enjoyable.

If your budget is £800 you have a lot of choice? Totem Mite?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Andy

I think you'll need to identify the deficiences of the BX2, as this could be transferred to the RX1s. Can't comment on the Brio-R, but from others this amp seems to be fairly flexible when it comes to speaker matching.

Feel at times bass boomy (about 6" from wall can't move, tried the bungs but didn't like the sound with them in)

Will be visiting Music Matters in Leamington in the week and also have Frank Harvey in Coventry ( although loathe to go there as I was ignored the last time i went in)

Just feel I could get more clarity from a step up, will be demoing so if the £500 to 600 pound mark shows no improvement will wait till more cash

available.

A

Anonymous

stevebrock said:
Andy,

I have recently demoed R100, Dyn X12 & Rega RS3 to replace my RS1

RS1 are lovely little speakers and match well with the Brio R, only upgraded as needed a bigger speaker in my new lounge.

The R100 & Dyn X12 are superb speakers as are the RS3 - the RS3 just did it for me, they sounded the most musical, but I am not saying thet are better than the KEF or Dyn but in my system they sounded the best and presented thereselves to be the most musical and enjoyable.

If your budget is £800 you have a lot of choice? Totem Mite?

Budget £600 max so rs3 out of it unless I decide to wait after demos cheers anyway

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I used to have BX2s, they were ok for the money - The RX1 have the same charcater!

The KEF R100 are a step up for definate - hey you could save yourself a bit of cash - demo the RS1, they are a quality speaker and the BX2 are a long way behind!

andybeau said:
plastic penguin said:
Andy

Feel at times bass boomy (about 6" from wall can't move, tried the bungs but didn't like the sound with them in)

Will be visiting Music Matters in Leamington in the week and also have Frank Harvey in Coventry ( although loathe to go there as I was ignored the last time i went in)

Just feel I could get more clarity from a step up, will be demoing so if the £500 to 600 pound mark shows no improvement will wait till more cash

available.

That's not surprising. Most ported speaker 6" from the wall will demonstrate some LF deficiences. You'll either need sealed speakers such as ATC or Spendor or spend a little extra on dedicated wall-mounted speakers.

*EDIT* Just seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/totem-dreamcatcher-in-premium-maple-/190853445832?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2c6fc078c8

The Arros are very flexible with positioning, these should be a match in that area.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
andybeau said:
plastic penguin said:
Andy

available.

That's not surprising. Most ported speaker 6" from the wall will demonstrate some LF deficiences. You'll either need sealed speakers such as ATC or Spendor or spend a little extra on dedicated wall-mounted speakers.

*EDIT* Just seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/totem-dreamcatcher-in-premium-maple-/190853445832?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2c6fc078c8

The Arros are very flexible with positioning, these should be a match in that area.

Cheers for that. Do you think they are worth a punt bying blind? won't hold you to it :p

I know 6" is lose but have to keep the Boss happy if I was still single......those were the days..

A

Anonymous

stevebrock said:
I used to have BX2s, they were ok for the money - The RX1 have the same charcater!

The KEF R100 are a step up for definate - hey you could save yourself a bit of cash - demo the RS1, they are a quality speaker and the BX2 are a long way behind!

Cheers Steve quite like the look of the rs1

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Andy,

Never buy a speaker blind, at least get a demo at the dealers demo room! Better still get them on demo at home, if you build a rapport with your local hifi dealer then this pays off for future potential purchases.

Most dealers will let you borrow their demo speakers as long as you leave card details.

I had a problem with boom, demoed some Neat Motive 3 in the dealers demo room, got them home and regretted it, they sounded a different speaker, after talking to them about my dissapointment they let me take some RS1 home, BINGO - problem solved no boomy bass and they sounded ace!

A

Anonymous

Ref Rega RS1

The RS1 has an unusually even bass response for a small loudspeaker. It allows them to be mounted directly onto the wall, or alternatively to be placed on shelves or stands. This allows the user greater flexibility in positioning than is normal

Would this solve my problem are they as good/better/indifferent compared to the totem dreamcatcher highlighted by PP

Cheers, looking forward to the demos

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The RS! are NOT fussy with placement, they are rear ported but still sound great up against a wall - they also work well on wall brackets.

My RS1 are now part of my AV set up and perform rear duties with ease.

In paino gloss black they look the part too!

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Rather than spending hundreds of pounds on speakers that may or may not be better, why not just spend £25 on some rockwool slabs and make bass traps? Put 10cm depth of it behind each speaker and see what difference it makes.

If it gets rid of the boom (it is highly likely that it will) then find some fabric that matches your room and cover it up and either sit it upright on the floor or hang it on the wall. Lots of neutral fabrics around that will blend into a room or you could just use a curtain fabric to match what you have.

In the unlikely event that it doesn't improve the bass, you can insulate your loft with it.

A

Anonymous

MakkaPakka said:
Rather than spending hundreds of pounds on speakers that may or may not be better, why not just spend £25 on some rockwool slabs and make bass traps? Put 10cm depth of it behind each speaker and see what difference it makes.

If it gets rid of the boom (it is highly likely that it will) then find some fabric that matches your room and cover it up and either sit it upright on the floor or hang it on the wall. Lots of neutral fabrics around that will blend into a room or you could just use a curtain fabric to match what you have.

In the unlikely event that it doesn't improve the bass, you can insulate your loft with it.

will try that always up for money saving suggestions cheers B&Q tomorrow then if the Boss thinks thats ok of course :roll:

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Ordinarily I'd say don't buy without hearing, but the Totems, if they don't appeal you won't lose any money. Also they are £1200 new.

Sounds like they are worth a punt then, cheers

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have heard the Dremacatchers when I was waiting for my cart to be fittted - they were lovely maybe a bit bass light but might be what your looking for as well as the RS1

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Even if proper bass traps are out of the question, anything you can do in corners to 'soften' behind the speakers will improve bass.

Try sticking cushions/pillows/duvet/sofa seats or anything else soft you have in a pile behind the speakers/rear corners as a test. Corners are to bass what kryptonite is to Superman.

My wife was very unhappy when I bought a couple of bass traps (GIK 244 in off white) but when they were hung up on the wall behind speakers they blended into the room. She took one look at them ready to have a good whinge, realised they really weren't that bad and walked out of the room without a word. Obviously I took that as a green light and proceeded to start a DIY project of putting together the biggest bass traps possible.

womble72

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I went from monitor audio Bx2 to a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers (almost new, mint condition £300) and I have found my perfect small speakers. I love my little Totems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts