Speakers for NR905 - novice. advice please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post and till last thursday I had no idea about amps/receivers etc.

Went to the sevenoaks shop last weekend and my wife fell in love with plasma TV and wanted it immediately. By impulse I bought panasonic 42" plasma over weekend and am doing research on hi-fi seperates. currently i am planning to build HI-FI first and go for hd/brd player in next 6 months. I did a research and found NR905 has network connectivity and would like to go for the model (yet to sort out the over heating issue with fixing fan). What I am still confused at the moment is which speakers set I should go for (well atleast for audition). I havent fixed a budget but hey if it sounds good I am ready to buy it.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee advice on some speakers
emotion-42.gif

awaiting for replies for this post!!

A

Anonymous

If you don't want to spend PMC money, Dali Ikon 6 - 5.1 setup are lovely. I bought a set and am very happy with them.

http://www.dali.dk/uk/

What do you think Andrew?

A

Anonymous

Hahahah, be honest! They're not going to be as good as yours, but seriously, what do you REALLY think?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, no - they're very good indeed
emotion-13.gif

But it's just that the Onkyos are capable of delivering even more when used with very very serious speakers. And a package such as the GB1s/DB1+M-C/DB1+s, with either the PMC sub or - to keep the price down - a third-party model, would really sing.

A

Anonymous

Must be one hell of an amp.

Thanks for being nice to me about my speakers!
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

does anybody do pmc as package? how much would it cost?

I see creative sells dali at 2800 quid.

My room size is 15'10" X 11'. It is a perfet threater type room with no corners cut.

does the room size matters as well?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, what do you think of the Monitor Audio RS6 speakers to go with the Onkyo 905? And sorry to be dumb but what does PMC mean (as used in this thread). Pre XXX ?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. Although I have already bought them (£600)(!!) I'm guessing from your response there might be something better?...

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="michaelsaffron"]I'm guessing from your response there might be something better?...[/quote]

There is allways something better, but it mainly comes down to budjet and personal choice. I have KEF IQ9's,IQ3's and a IQ6c which personally I love but maybe someone like Mr Everard may not.

A

Anonymous

Hi, yes I am finding this out- it's frustrating that there never seems to be an end to this game- always something better/ more money....!

While your there, what's your opinion on a decent CD player and is SACD important/ does it automatically feature on a player?

A

Anonymous

Guys

I am in a different league of game!! am trying to find a stockist in UK for NR905 and I cant find one who can give me a decent demo!!! if you come across any stockist please give me a buzz on this forum

BTW michael how is your NR905 with RS6??? (grrrrrrrrrr...... envy on you if you have got 905)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="leads"]
does anybody do pmc as package? how much would it cost?

[/quote]

Any PMC dealer will be able to advise you - see here for dealer list.

A pair of GB1s is £1145, a pair of DB1+ speakers £675 and the DB1+M-C centre is £375. Add those together and you have £2195. Add on a sub such as the Velodyne CHT-10R (£360), or even MJ Acoustics' Reference 100 (£475) and you're still under the cost of the Dali package.

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm, I paid £1950 for a pair of Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders, a pair of Dali Ikon On-Walls, a Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Centre and Dali Ikon Sub.

I have to say, I think that is not at all bad, wouldn't you say?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes fine - I was just going by the price he quoted. Mind you, if you wanted a full 7.1 PMC system you would have to add on another pair of DB1+ speakers, so that would up the price a bit.

A

Anonymous

I've used a couple of my KEF KHT2005.1 eggs for the rear centre channel but although I've set my amp into 6.1 mode, there are no DVDs that I own that contain a Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES soundtrack to take advantage of them. I'm just matrixing the effects channels across the back.

Why is there no 6.1 / 7.1 material on DVD? Is this a region issue?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="leads"]
Guys

I am in a different league of game!! am trying to find a stockist in UK for NR905 and I cant find one who can give me a decent demo!!! if you come across any stockist please give me a buzz on this forum

BTW michael how is your NR905 with RS6??? (grrrrrrrrrr...... envy on you if you have got 905)
[/quote]

well...errr...umm the 905 hasn't actually being delivered yet...I have beingn staring at my nice speakers and a gaping hole in my AV rack for well over a month now...beer helps...

A

Anonymous

Hmm,

I have booked an audition on PMC speakers with 875 to start with (but am going to buy 905) on saturday. talked with creative people and found that they dont even have 875 for demo and am stuck between nowhere to get an audition on dali speakers.

but if I go for PMC speakers I have an eerie feeling that my wallet is gonna get ripped off!!!

Andrew! Any other speaker ideas please? Seems like I have all the time in the world to audition every best speakers in the market while waiting for the stocks to arrive!!

A

Anonymous

I'm picking up my 875 tomorrow
emotion-2.gif
, going to audition it with the Monitor Audio Silver RS6AV speakers.

A

Anonymous

You could always look at the B&W ranges. 600 series and above that the CM series. CMs have been around for a while but look really well made. You'd just have to see if you like the sound. Similar money to the Dalis.

Really annoyed me having nowhere to audition any of this gear. At least I will when it come to upgrading the DVD player.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="leads"]
but if I go for PMC speakers I have an eerie feeling that my wallet is gonna get ripped off!!!

[/quote]

IMHO PMCs anything but a rip-off - they offer a very high standard of performance for sensible money.

A

Anonymous

All right,

I am literally tired now (while writing this message).

We first auditioned PMC setup (recomended by andrew) and didnt liked it (sorry andrew). On the same day the guy worked out various combinations for us with sunfire and xenon ones and we rejected them as well. What we liked was the velodyne subs (they are fantastic)

Second audition on Dali and they are good (not as good sub as velodyne) but overall they were good. We kept dali as second option and were searching for first option still.

Third audition was in a kingdom of far far away (nottingham) with B&W 683s and they were stunning but the PV1 subs let us down. We finally decided we would go for velodyne subs. but cant decide on front and rears.

Fourth on focal chorus (name unheard and the product itself is bit uninteresting) which had a very harsh mid tones and rejected it straight away.

Fifth on B&W 800 series. We liked it but decided that we cant afford it and finally felt that we will be going with 683 as front one as of now.

My question is as all the speakers (floor standers and rears) are having max amplifier input of 150-200W then why to by a 905 which is outputting 220W per channel. Where is the speaker?? what is the usage of high wattage then?

Still confused whether to go for 683s as fronts or people!!!!!!!!! do you have any alternative ideas??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts