Question Speakers for NAD 316 BEE v2

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
Hi

I got NAD 316 BEE V2 & Triangle Borea BR03

Would Focal Aria 906 or Dynaudio M20 be better to replace Triangle's.

currently:
1. Sounds Stage is fantastic especially vocals
2. Bass for Dance/Electro music is more than good enough (I tune up bass on amp EQ but still)
3. Guitars / cymbals are great and detailed

I just feel multiple songs / genres still are unenjoyable, tiring (is this called they are not musical?)- often as if along the song there was a Pneumatic Jackhammer at work. Rumbling.

More detail:
I used to have Floor-standing Canton GLE 470 and 100+ watt Onkyo 8150 in big apartment/living room.
I could listen for long time enjoying sound. I would get tired only after long session due to high volume.

Now living in a small flat I only got space for smaller stand-mount speakers:
1. I experimented with location/position of speakers.
2. I tried to replace my CA DAC MAgic 100 with another DAC felt no different
3. I replaced 25 Watt CA AXA 25 with NAD - better sound especially bass, more enjoyable but still not perfect still feel jackhammer.
4. I used to have Dali Spector but needing bit more bass Triangle was an upgrade

Source is Tidal from MacBook Air > DAC Magic 100 > AMP > Speaker

Last edited:

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I read online that:

Dynaudio are Warm & need power
Focal Aria 906 are bright & need less power

Prefering warmth - can you tell me if NAD 316 v2 (40 Watts and 90Watts dynamicly) be "ok" for some time to pair with Dynaudio Emit 20? I don't know how much significance 40Watts vs say 100Watts would have. I don't need to go loud - opposite I would like to get best sound at low volumes.

I read online that:

Prefering warmth - can you tell me if NAD 316 v2 (40 Watts and 90Watts dynamicly) be "ok" for some time to pair with Dynaudio Emit 20? I don't know how much significance 40Watts vs say 100Watts would have. I don't need to go loud - opposite I would like to get best sound at low volumes.
unfortunately best sound at low volume will require quite efficient speakers.....

Reactions: dommaku2
I read online that:

What is actually wrong with your NAD/Triangle combination?

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
1. Sounds Stage is fantastic especially vocals
2. Bass for Dance/Electro music is more than good enough (I tune up bass on amp EQ but still)
3. Guitars / cymbals are great and detailed

I just feel multiple songs / genres still are unenjoyable, tiring (is this called they are not musical?)- often as if along the song there was a Pneumatic Jackhammer at work. Rumbling.

More detail:
I used to have Floor-standing Canton GLE 470 and 100+ watt Onkyo 8150 in big apartment/living room.
I could listen for long time enjoying sound. I would get tired only after long session due to high volume.

Now living in a small flat I only got space for smaller stand-mount speakers:

1. I experimented with location/position of speakers.
2. I tried to replace my CA DAC MAgic 100 with another DAC felt no different
3. I replaced 25 Watt CA AXA 25 with NAD - better sound especially bass, more enjoyable but still not
perfect still feel jackhammer.
4. I used to have Dali Spector but needing bit more bass Triangle was an upgrade

Source is Tidal from MacBook Air > DAC Magic 100 > AMP > Speaker

Last edited:

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The Focals are 3.5 db more sensitive than the Dnaudio. So your amplifier would have to be outputting roughly twice as much power to achieve the same volume level with the Dynaudio as it would the Focal.

However how well either of these speakers work with your room and your ear are another matter. Only you can judge that, but it also depends on what’s wrong with what you have now which could just be a room related issue.

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
This is the room and speaker set up in case somone has advice on accustical aspect of the room

Attachments

• tempImagekOpsko.jpg
    tempImagekOpsko.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 20
This is the room and speaker set up in case somone has advice on accustical aspect of the room
The MA Silver 100 are a upgrade over the B4s. I was unsure of the amp power output. They should be fine, but as these newer Monitor Auduos dip to 4.5 ohms, it's worth bearing that in mind.

Looking at the your photo, dedicated stands are a far better than using chairs. Some don't realise what a difference proper stands make.

Literally, buy stands first and you'll hear the improvement. Probably won't cure all your systems ills but an fairly substantial improvement nonetheless, something like these.

Reactions: dommaku2

RJW232

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
Try listening to the songs that don't sound good on another set. Maybe it's just bad recordings. Especially considering the three positives points you mention.

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
The MA Silver 100 are a upgrade over the B4s. I was unsure of the amp power output. They should be fine, but as these newer Monitor Auduos dip to 4.5 ohms, it's worth bearing that in mind.

Looking at the your photo, dedicated stands are a far better than using chairs. Some don't realise what a difference proper stands make.

Literally, buy stands first and you'll hear the improvement. Probably won't cure all your systems ills but an fairly substantial improvement nonetheless, something like these.
Thanks given fair price I will definitely consider stands and test MA checking compatibility with amp.

manicm

pl

I added detials further in the forum but now added same to the top

Ah I read it now, by jackhammer you mean the bass is a bit overpowering, or treble too?

Stands may tighten up the bass, especially if the chairs are not stable, before getting new stands though, do you have a couple of stable square tables? These are often better than budget stands.

If that doesn't help then I would look at other speakers or amp. Earlier NAD amps like yours had a slightly boosted bass I found.

Also, maybe you shouldn't have given up on your Dalis , as they work well closer to back walls, and may well have given you the bass you want.

Reactions: WayneKerr

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
Ah I read it now, by jackhammer you mean the bass is a bit overpowering, or treble too?

Stands may tighten up the bass, especially if the chairs are not stable, before getting new stands though, do you have a couple of stable square tables? These are often better than budget stands.

If that doesn't help then I would look at other speakers or amp. Earlier NAD amps like yours had a slightly boosted bass I found.

Also, maybe you shouldn't have given up on your Dalis , as they work well closer to back walls, and may well have given you the bass you want.
True Dali's bass was better when close to wall but they were roughtly half the size of Triangles and could not generate enough for dance/electro - not dynamic enough.

I am not sure what is going on - The key point is siloed elements are good but they don't come toghether to create music that is enjoyable enough. Can't get my head round what is root cause and if it's to do with bass/treble.

I will check stable tables but FYI I have tried to put 20 KG (each) dumbells on top of speakers to make chairs more stable. I am not sure if that really helped.

Last edited:

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
Guys on another forum recommended to apply filters to Equaliser dedicated to Triangle Borea so to get better sound. I am attempting to apply that first and see if this helps.

Reactions: Al ears
Guys on another forum recommended to apply filters to Equaliser dedicated to Triangle Borea so to get better sound. I am attempting to apply that first and see if this helps.

if they don't work for you without adjustment sell them on. No idea what those filters refer to by the way...
The DacMagic doesn't have this facility does it?

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
if they don't work for you without adjustment sell them on. No idea what those filters refer to by the way...
The DacMagic doesn't have this facility does it?
If you use SoundSource software for MacOS there is an option to load text file with the specified config that was tested to improve sound quality. I will give it a go.
DACMagic does not have an EQ

Last edited:
I tired the filters for EQ - It does makes things better - less of the unpleasant "sshhh" and rumbling I would say.
If it sounds like 'ssss' on "s" lyrics that sounds like sibilance. Usually get that with poor matching, whether it's speaker to amp, speaker cables. The rumbling could be very deep bass... those older NADs were very bassy.

It sounds like you need to tweak something. I'd say get speaker stands first. They're designed to balance the overall presentation. What you'll probably find is a tighter bass, controlled treble and slightly more 3D to the soundstage.

Reactions: manicm

dommaku2

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
thanks!
After thought - If I would fix speakers to stand that means for less space in the room and possibly my kid would break them. I really need to have flexible solution i.e. bookshelf for morning FM radio and "chairs or some better version of chairs + EQ" for audio session in the evening.

If I still find lack of musicality I will look for speakers ideally that work with NAD 316 and can to extend possible tolerate my "non fixed stand " set up -

Can I just place speaker on the stand without fixing them permanently so it's flexible to take them off at ease? :)

thanks!
After thought - If I would fix speakers to stand that means for less space in the room and possibly my kid would break them. I really need to have flexible solution i.e. bookshelf for morning FM radio and "chairs or some better version of chairs + EQ" for audio session in the evening.

If I still find lack of musicality I will look for speakers ideally that work with NAD 316 and can to extend possible tolerate my "non fixed stand " set up -

Can I just place speaker on the stand without fixing them permanently so it's flexible to take them off at ease? :)
Firstly, speaker stands take up no more room than a small floorstander. All stands come with spikes fixed to the base of the stand, and you use a blob of Blutak, holds the speaker firmly. So it'll be secure and if you lift the stand up you can move them around. They are semi-permanent, safe and moveable if you want to place them in a different area.

I had a 11-year old when I first purchased standmounts. She's now 20 and not one incident.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts