Speakers for micro hifi

Jfil

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I am trying to search some 2nd hand speakers for my bedroom system (Denon Ceol Piccolo DRA-N5 system) to replace supplied speakers. I would like a wider soundstage and deeper bass. I have been considering the following speakers:

Cambride Audio SX-50 - 90€

Wharfedale diamond 220 -160€

Mordaunt Short 902i - 50€

Taking in consideration the price which one would you recommend/best match for Denon? Thanks

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Jfil said:
I am trying to search some 2nd hand speakers for my bedroom system (Denon Ceol Piccolo DRA-N5 system) to replace supplied speakers. I would like a wider soundstage and deeper bass. I have been considering the following speakers:

Taking in consideration the price which one would you recommend/best match for Denon? Thanks

I have the CA SX-50s with a Denon M40 system. They match well and the overall sound is very good. I cannot comment on the others, but what I can add is that my speakers are forced into a corner position which is far from ideal, but there is no bass boom. This speaker would certainly appear a good option for you.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Jfil said:
Thanks! What do you think about soundstage and stereo separation?

That will be as much about where you stick them as anything else. For example if they're two feet apart each side of the unit on a shelf, don't expect much of either, no matter what you buy.

K

keeper of the quays

Buy the mordaunt short 902i..i have a pair somewhere! Have used them with denon rcd100 sounds fab..used same amp/cd/tuner with tannoy f1 custom (which I also own) 902i were equal to tannoys...very good speakers indeed.50 euros? That's a steal..

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
[quoqte=NJB]

Jfil said:

I have the CA SX-50s with a Denon M40 system. They match well and the overall sound is very good. I cannot comment on the others, but what I can add is that my speakers are forced into a corner position which is far from ideal, but there is no bass boom. This speaker would certainly appear a good option for you.

[/quote]

+1 for the Cambridge Audios

Jfil

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have listened to MS 902i and didn't like the sound, too bright. The Cambridge seems to have a balanced sound. I didn't had a chance to try wharfedale 220. Are they worth the extra price?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Jfil said:
I have listened to MS 902i and didn't like the sound, too bright. The Cambridge seems to have a balanced sound. I didn't had a chance to try wharfedale 220. Are they worth the extra price?

They are not bad for only £139 what they do well they do very well.
But they are on the end of a very good amp.
They have a bit more pressence than the q acoustics 2020i but the q acoustics sound more natural and thats to my ears and my house/room.

Personally i think youll like them but please try listen for yourself

Jfil

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have tested Wharfedale 220 and CA x50 in the same receiver in a shop. The sound from the Wharfedale's seemed more detailed but it lacked bass, and I think they are much more harder to drive. Do you have the same opinion?

Dom

My brother uses the MS 902i's and I think they are brilliant. They sound a slightly broken next to the Mezzo 6 but still hold there own, with depth, scale, detail, bass, treble and width. Just a distorted less clear sound.

K

keeper of the quays

DomCheetham said:
My brother uses the MS 902i's and I think they are brilliant. They sound a slightly broken next to the Mezzo 6 but still hold there own, with depth, scale, detail, bass, treble and width. Just a distorted less clear sound.

think I suggested these fine pair of speakers in a earlier post..i have a pair (in the loft) and I agree! Great speakers..look funky too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts