Denon DM40 but which speakers?

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Currently in the market for a budget decent sounding micro system. Since i read the new denon dm40 supports flac it ticks all the right boxes for me. I am just a bit confused as to which speakers would pair well with it. Im looking at the q acoustics 2020i, already have a set of these in my cinema set up which i think they sound great. Other speakers im considering are the wharfedale 220s and dali zensor 1s. My nearest richer sounds is a bit far from me to go and demo them, if anyone has any good advice I would love to hear to help me make a decision.

Just found this deal http://exceptional-av.co.uk/denon-dm40-w-wharfe-diamond-220-speakers.html

Seems like a bargain for a new system with pretty newish speakers.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Old Mission 731 or 732 'second hand' sound good with the Denons - we have the 38dab in our house.

Don't get too ambitious with your speaker choice these things are not designed to 'shake da house'

50watt to 70watts max handling @8ohm will work well with that system.

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys forall the suggestions I am looking at those speakers mentioned in the post. I think I have narrowed it down to either q acoustics 2020i, have these in my cinema set up at front and they sound amazing. They should sound better for music through the denon dm40 i would imagine though. The other speakers I am thinking about are the wharfedale 220s. Cant find any reviews of the Denon DM40 yet but going by its history should be a decent sounding system.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
FYI, we will be publishing our review of the Denon D-M40 online this Friday, and it will be in the October issue of the magazine. We tested it with Denon's own speakers, and tried it with some others too including the Q Acoustics 3010 at £140. The results might surprise you
wink_smile.gif

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Read the review and probably purchase it with denons own speakers. I cant seem to find anywhere which sells it with the Denon speakers. SC-M40 are the ones to go with the Dm40 I believe.

bob the gambler

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi, newbie here - the DM40 sounds fantastic and I'd like to get it with the Denon speakers but I am struggling a bit trying to figure out which ones are meant to be best. Denon's website says it's the SCM40's but I cant find anywhere that sells those seperately, and most places are selling the DM40 paired with the Q acoustics, or with Denon SCF109's. I'm probably being a bit dim, and sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but which ones were used in the review - the SCM40's or the SCF109's? and if it was the SCM40's does anyone know where I can get them, or even better the whole system in one box?

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can get receiver and speakers together... Just in two boxes! :)

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/denon-d-m40-sc-m40-speakers

bob the gambler

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for replying, and the link. I thought that would be the case but after checking the usual suspects (Richer Sounds, Amazon, Super Fi etc) and googling I cant find anywhere that sells the Denon SCM 40 speakers either with the system or seperately. Its strange, I'd have thought they'd be widely available, at least as much as the system itself. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could post a link to where I could get them. I'm not so keen on pairing it with a different set, I'm sure this will sound ridiculous but its mainly for completeness sake

Otherwise, given it is available almost everywhere with the Q Acoustics 3020s, could anyone comment on whether it sounds better with those - there's very little difference in price.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

jjbomber

bob the gambler said:
Thanks for replying, and the link. I thought that would be the case but after checking the usual suspects (Richer Sounds, Amazon, Super Fi etc) and googling I cant find anywhere that sells the Denon SCM 40 speakers either with the system or seperately.

John Lewis

robdmarsh

Just to throw another opinion out there, I personally do not like Wharfedale Diamond 220s and found them to be a pretty uninvolving speaker. I bought them for the Marantz m-cr603 which is brilliant, but the 220s just sounded mediocre. In the end I kept my own speakers, which are old Celestion 3mkii and a cracking match for the Marantz. In fact, these old speakers are so good, I think I'd have to move to something like Rega rs1 or Monitor Audio rx1 to get better sound, something I'm thinking of doing because I think I can get the Marantz to sound even better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts