Speakers for focusrite 2i2

wito

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
ey folks i want to upgrade my sound for my pc, currently i have the logitech x540 but they are not good enough anymore i have a focusrite 2i2 1st gen sound card and i want to pair some speakers with it, im looking at a pair of Mission LX-2 or Q Acoustics 3020 or something to a budget of 300€, but i dont know if that soundcard can handle them or even if its compatible :) anyone can help me? :D

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
And welcolm to the forum.

If I undestand you correctly, you are using your 2i2 as a usb dac with your computer.

The 2i2 has line level ouputs on balanced 6.35mm jack plug. These are ideal for plugging directly into a pair of active or powered speakers, the speakers you mention are passive types and will need an amplifier.

Given the budget, active or powered speakers will give you the best value. Decide whether you need a volume control on the speaker or if you are comfortable using the volume in your computer music player.

If the latter is the case a pair of studio type speakers such as the JBL LS305, the Presonus Eris 5 or the Yamaha HS5s should all be within reach.

A lot depends on where you live and what is available in your market.

wito

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
ive looked up those jbl ls305 they sound super awesome

but im a bit affraid that they dont have enough bass for my taste,

the yahama hs5s look way too flat for me and the krk rokit 5 sound overboosted in bass :D

davedotco said:

If I undestand you correctly, you are using your 2i2 as a usb dac with your computer.

The 2i2 has line level ouputs on balanced 6.35mm jack plug. These are ideal for plugging directly into a pair of active or powered speakers, the speakers you mention are passive types and will need an amplifier.

Given the budget, active or powered speakers will give you the best value. Decide whether you need a volume control on the speaker or if you are comfortable using the volume in your computer music player.

If the latter is the case a pair of studio type speakers such as the JBL LS305, the Presonus Eris 5 or the Yamaha HS5s should all be within reach.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
wito said:

the yahama hs5s look way too flat for me and the krk rokit 5 sound overboosted in bass :D

davedotco said:

Have you heard any of the models I mentioned? I ask because, quite simply, all three of them have far more punch and presence in the bass than the hi-fi models you mention.

I have never been a fan of the Rokit models, but if the price is acceptable, the Yamahas are the most potent of the speakers mentioned. If funds are available, move up to the HS7s.

wito

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
i can get the jbl for 279€ and the hs7 for 390 and hs5 for 320

so it looks like i go for the jbl

actually never heard any of them, and its almost impossible for me to get my hands on them before buying them

davedotco said:
wito said:

davedotco said:

Have you heard any of the models I mentioned? I ask because, quite simply, all three of them have far more punch and presence in the bass than the hi-fi models you mention.

I have never been a fan of the Rokit models, but if the price is acceptable, the Yamahas are the most potent of the speakers mentioned. If funds are available, move up to the HS7s.

wito

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
lol a friend of mine had the JBLs so i got a chance to listen to them, im definitely getting them :)

and a last question, is there a difference in TRS to XLR cables? or should i just go for TRS to TRS?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
wito said:
lol a friend of mine had the JBLs so i got a chance to listen to them, im definitely getting them :)

and a last question, is there a difference in TRS to XLR cables? or should i just go for TRS to TRS?

They are both balanced connections so either will be fine, since you have, 3 pole jacks (Tip, Ring Sleeve) on your dac, jack to jack or jack to XLR will both work. I would go jack to jack, personal preference and probably slightly cheaper, but it really does not matter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts