Speakers for Fatman iTube Carbon??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Fatman iTube Carbon and would really appreciate views on which speakers would compliment the system. I intend to place the speakers on a bookshelf (floorstanding not an option) at the end of a 7m x 4m living room and would like them to retain the warm tones produced by the iTube, and be capable of dealing with the kid's rock/pop collection. As a first stab, I'm looking at auditioning the Tangent Evo's and Eltax Monitor III's, any thoughts?. My budget is around the £125 mark, £150 absolute tops.

Any advice/opinion greatly appreciated.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's a big room to fill with little speakers, so it's vital you pick a class-leading speaker. It's also going to be crucial you isolate them from the bookshelf and don't push them hard against a wall - both of which could create a dull, boomy sound rather than room-filling warm tones you're after.

I'd look at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s - list price £150, but available for less, Tangent Mercury F1 Customs (£110) and Q Acoustics 1020i (£130). The latter are particularly good for scale at this price-level.

Don't forget decent speaker cable - QED Silver Anniversary XT at £5.50/m should do the trick.

And that isolation I mentioned - these little Award-winners should do the trick, or used halved squash balls for an even cheaper solution.

A

Anonymous

Yus, the Monitor IIIs, cheap as chips and great though they are, will not be happy sitting on a shelf, despite the fact that they have a downwards firing port. They really want to be on stands.

A

Anonymous

I understood that more sensitive ones would get more from the relativley low output Fatman amp - eg Monitor Audio BS2s at 90db rather than Diamond 9.1s at only 86.

Am I wrong?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

[quote user="shonamh"]I understood that more sensitive ones would get more from the relativley low output Fatman amp - eg Monitor Audio BS2s at 90db rather than Diamond 9.1s at only 86.

Am I wrong?

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, you are correct. It is more logical to use higher sensitivity speakers on a valve amplifier which produces less power, thus the 9.1s might not be for you if you listen to music loud. That said, the speakers that come packaged usually are around 85-86db@1w@1m.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know what other speakers would do a good job of the fatman amp - I fancied some wee Quads, but I think they're better suited to higher powered amps...
I also have an old pair of floorstanding TDLs - think they're RTD3s which I could dig out the attic - any thoughts?
thanks

A

Anonymous

D'oh...
they're RTL2s... sound ok though but if I remember rightly a tweeter has gone, and the cost to replace that is probably not worth it . Any thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts