Speakers - Ditton 44 / modern equivalent?

juggan66

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,I'm a new member looking for some advice. I have browsed posts on this forum for a few years and always found it very helpful and informative. I love music and would describe myself as a budget hi-fi hobbyist. I want to pursue the best sound I can but I'm not prepared to spend thousands to get it!I'm looking to replace my speakers. Currently running a pair of Acoustic Solutions AV105 floorstanders (3½ way 2xBass + Mid + Tweeter, 42Hz-20KHz, 150w RMS/230w Max) biwired from a Technics SU VZ320 amp (40w per channel) and have been for 10 or more years. Whilst happy with this budget setup in the past (amp £50 second hand, speakers £200 new), my needs have changed and the speakers are now 1) just too big physically, and 2) not so good at the generally lower volumes I enjoy my music nowadays! My budget is £100-£150.I have seen and heard someone's Ditton 44s recently (do not recall the amp setup I'm afraid) and physically they look the perfect size/shape for me (they look gorgeous too which I know is a relatively minor point but still, they are lovely). I like the proper 3 way design of Bass/Mid/Tweeter rather than the "3 way" speakers you see advertised on Ebay which are actually 2 way just with 2 x Bass dirvers! The range was excellent and there was a good amount of bass. My concern was a percieved lack of clarity in the bass as compared to more modern speakers, not an issue for guitar based music (which was what he played for me) but might make more modern electronic music (think D&B) sound a little mushy. Also being an older speaker, there is obviously no biwiring capability. I know the jury is out on the effectiveness of this unless you go the full hog and bi amp with external crossovers but I personally heard a noticiable improvement in clarity when biwiring my existing floorstanders.So I have three questions:Is there a modern alternative to the Ditton 44s? A proper 3 way speaker, similar size and shape but with slightly more modern tech and biwirable?Alternatively, are the concerns I've outlined above immaterial? Can you reassure me that something a set of Ditton 44s would suit me fine (next problem is finding some within my budget but that's a separate topic)?Am I going down the wrong track completely? In which case, please advise!The room is medium sized (6m x 3.5m). I have some 30cm high shelves either side of the fireplace about 2m apart that I want to put the speakers on so a 60/70cm high speaker would put the tweeter around ear level (assuming the tweeter is at the top) with my listening position in the middle 3m back from the speakers.I should add that my music tastes range from 60s/70s guitar music through 80s/90s Indie/Madchester through to more modern Trip Hop/Drum & Bass. My sources are a Garrard DD450 turntable and a generic Sony CD player.I should also add that my next step is probably an amp upgrade but I think I want to get the speakers right first and then match the new amp to them.Any help or advice you could offer would be very gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

juggan66

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I should add that I did type all that in proper paragraphs but it seems to have become merged into one when posting and I don't seem to be able to change it. Apologies if that makes it difficult to read!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You sure like em big.

For your budget you'll stay firmly in the risky vintage zone to achieve anything like what you're hearing now and use to.

That said a search around the s/h market may net you a pair of TDL or the older PMC's models. (slim transmission line designs).

If the sub/small speaker route is out of the question.

If you can audition do - good luck with your search anyway.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you should be looking at a pair of Goodmans Magnum K / K2. I have had both and they are brilliant. Proper 3 way with a 12 inch bass driver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts