Speakers choice for start of Hi-Fi upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have enough of mini systems, not being to hear our cds anymore.

Well an old Sony blew and we are left with a mini samsung...great for the radio...

Anyway, I have decide to start buying slowly in order to build a system in the next couple of months. Tight buget as cannot ask the famillyt to spend more than 1,000 Euros altogether.

I have been buying Hi-Fi magazines from various countries while in aiports and went through a lot.

Spend my last week in three shops listening to various elements.

I want to start buying some music (no Home cinema) speakers.

Mainly to listen in our dining root/kitchen. Smal enough (15/20 square meters)

Ideally I would like to use them with our mini system (I will new set of cables) until I can buy an amp and cd player.

So here are my thoughts/opinions so far:

Speaker:

1. smaller ones like B&W 686, Focal 705V

2. bookselves ones like B&W 685, Focal 706V, Kehf iQ10, Cabasse MT30

Amp/CD player:

1. NAD C315 or C316 and Rotel RA04SE

2. Cyrus

Please any opinions/thoughts/advice are very welcome espcially for experience on the various combinaisons

Choice and ability to listened is limited for me.

A French man in Ireland

Comments:

I really like the B&W 686 + Cyrus combinaison, but also a lot the NAD C316 and Kehf iQ10

Did not like the Diamonds 10.1 with a Yamaha Multi Usage while they were good with the NAD C316

Did not like the B&W 686 +

Listened to Monitor Audio Bronze 2(??) + Marantz..was expecting more bass than 686 which was the case, but overall definition not too great. But I am sure the amp could make a difference.

A

Anonymous

I can confirm the 685/RA04-SE is a good combo, although i decided to buy a NAD C326 over the Rotel for my 685s; seemed a better match. I also agree with your not liking Diamond 10.1s; I have no idea how they got a 5* review in this magazine! You might need the extra power of the RA04-SE or C326 over the C315/C316 to drive the 685s though.

I don't have any experience of the cyrus CDP, but i've never heard a bad word about any of their products.

Hope that helps!

A

Anonymous

Thanks jls20 for your reply. I take everything on board.

No chance to listen to the Kehf iQ10/30 by any chance?

Cheers

Chris

A

Anonymous

Finally I will have to work the other way round as a great offer on NAD 315 and cd NAD C515 came along and was great for the budget plan.

So where to go now on speakers:

1. B&W 686, Focal 705V, KEF iQ10

2. B&W 685, Focal 706V, Kehf iQ30, Cabasse MT30
For what you told me previously I understand the B&W 686 should be an ok match.

Anyone tested the configuration?

Thanks

Chris

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD combo with the likes of the B&W 685s on good stands or even possibly the new Monitor Audio BX2's would be a superb combo IMO

The NAD is plenty powerful enough to run those speakers and they'll be a better set-up than having the B&W 686's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. will check the Monitor Audio as well.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts