Speaker wire question.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello folks,

I would like to ask something, maby its a foolish question but I am new to this and I really dont know what to do.

I recently bought some dali's zensor 1 for my room and since I didnt have any wires I bought some wires too.

The model is the Taga Harmony TAVC-10C. My amp is an old marantz Pm350. The problem is that the wire is too thick for the amplifier and the speakers too. So I had to strip down the wire and NOT use some of the strings. Is there any loss in quality when using less strings? I could really need your help.

Thanks in advance,

Max.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you strip and insulate properly, no problem.

If you dont do the above and have stray copper, you could likely ...

Why not just buy some cheap speaker cable of the correct size?

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I did not know anything about speaker wires. I just listened to the seller.

I was carefully cut the plastic cover and did not cut any strands but I did exclude plenty of them by stretching them down to the cable so that it would be thinner.

The wire is the Taga Harmony TAVC 10C.

Am I good to go or am I just lossing sound quality?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
maxpain said:
You mean I could hard the speakers too?

So what I do? Buy a thinner wire?

Reading through this thread I would say buy a set of leads that are already terminated (have plugs at each end).

Safer. No offense.

shadders

Hi,

Are your speaker or amplifier connections a hand screw type with the post having a hole through it in the vertical orientation?

I usually strip the cable back, and split the strands into 3 collections twisted together.

One collection goes through the hole in the speaker post. The other two, one goes to the left, the other to the right, and all three meet at the top, where you then twist the three together.

Then screw the speaker post connection as tight as possible, once complete, cut the excess off.

Does this help?

Regards,

Shadders.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
If I do that doesent nean that I have to use all the strings on the amplifier end too?

The amp could never fit all those strings in the hole, the wire is just too thick

shadders

maxpain said:
If I do that doesent nean that I have to use all the strings on the amplifier end too?

The amp could never fit all those strings in the hole, the wire is just too thick
Hi,

You can make the central collection smaller, so more strands go to the left and right.

If this is still a problem, which does seem odd, most binding posts are sufficiently large, then cutting some strands atnthe base of the insulation will notmbe a problem.

I would try and modify the collections thickness cirst.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

Hi,

I just checked the amplifier, and can see the speaker connection type. I would try and get as many strands into the connector as possible, and cut back to the insulation those not used.

Alternatively, maybe purchase a new amplifier, you may benefit.

Regards,

Shadders.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
It may be a silly question but... Did you unscrew the connectors on both amp and speakers? Or are you trying to fit the cable where ordinarily banana plugs would go?
I have succesfully connect the speakers to the amplifier the right way. But in doing so I have used less strings from the wire.

insider9

maxpain said:
insider9 said:
It may be a silly question but... Did you unscrew the connectors on both amp and speakers? Or are you trying to fit the cable where ordinarily banana plugs would go?
I have succesfully connect the speakers to the amplifier the right way. But in doing so I have used less strings from the wire.
Yes, I understood that. I was only checking. I wouldn't suggest leaving bare wire around terminals. It may be dangerous if you ever accidentally touched them.

Would you be able to have them terminated with banana plugs? That would not only be safer but undoubtedly give you better results as opposed to what you have now.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
maxpain said:
insider9 said:
Yes, I understood that. I was only checking. I wouldn't suggest leaving bare wire around terminals. It may be dangerous if you ever accidentally touched them.

Would you be able to have them terminated with banana plugs? That would not only be safer but undoubtedly give you better results as opposed to what you have now.
The dalis could be conntected with banana plubs but the amplifier does not seem to have that kind of connection, just the choles for the cable.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
A cable debate is one thing and I've seen enough of those to know I'm on neither one side or the other, but if the wire simply won't fit in the hole then there is no point forcing the matter......an old girlfriend once told me I'd never get it into that hole........sure I took it as a challenge but, d'ye'know what........wait a sec, which forum am I on? Mm, excuse me..........

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
How does it sound the way it is.if you like it there's no problems

There is if he's got spare strands flying around the back of the amp. The most sensible suggestion so far has been to go get some different wire that fits the amp's spring connectors. Not that alternative suggestions have been wrong, but it's fairly clear to see the guy hasn't got a clue what he's doing so he's probably best just using thinner wire rather than cutting back the 'strings' and hoping he doesn't short the amp out.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
maxpain said:
I did not know anything about speaker wires. I just listened to the seller.

I was carefully cut the plastic cover and did not cut any strands but I did exclude plenty of them by stretching them down to the cable so that it would be thinner.

The wire is the Taga Harmony TAVC 10C.

Am I good to go or am I just lossing sound quality?
Yes, it'll be fine.

That's a better solution than having a cable that is much thinner than what you can fit into your terminals.

Enjoy your system and don't worry for one moment about your cables.

You are of course welcome to try other cables - especially if you can do it on a no cost basis - eg mail order or 2nd hand at a price where you can sell on for a modest profit (to cover postage costs).

You may find that different cables make a difference (worth paying any money for) to your ears in your system, or they may not.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
seemorebtts said:

There is if he's got spare strands flying around the back of the amp. The most sensible suggestion so far has been to go get some different wire that fits the amp's spring connectors. Not that alternative suggestions have been wrong, but it's fairly clear to see the guy hasn't got a clue what he's doing so he's probably best just using thinner wire rather than cutting back the 'strings' and hoping he doesn't short the amp out.
I do not have spare strands flying around the back of the amp. I carefully placed them down the cable material and put tape around it so that there are no strings going around other than those are inside the amplifier. I did the same with the speaker end of the cables.

What I want to know is that if I am going to lose sound quality if I use less strings.

Cheers.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
maxpain said:
MajorFubar said:
seemorebtts said:

I do not have spare strands flying around the back of the amp. I carefully placed them down the cable material and put tape around it so that there are no strings going around other than those are inside the amplifier. I did the same with the speaker end of the cables.

What I want to know is that if I am going to lose sound quality if I use less strings.

Cheers. 
so does it sound ok or are you having problems

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts