Speaker upgrade - heresy???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Yes, I KNOW it goes against all the received wisdom, but some of us need to site secondary system speakers on bookshelves! Can anyone suggest some small-but-perfectly-formed boxes that will make an Onkyo CS515 sound even better - AND are happy to sit on shelves against walls...?? Budget around £100-200. Thanking you kindly.

A

Anonymous

i had a pair of Mordaunt Short MS902i's that i was very happy with and are well within your budget. WHFSAV has also given these speakers great reviews.
If you are planning to put them on a bookshelf make sure you leave enough room behind the rear port!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The MS speakers are indeed a fantastic five-star buy, though they are on the party-animal side of the sonic spectrum, so aren't to everyone's tastes.

They and five other pairs of £100-£150 speakers are tested in our current, December issue - the winner of that test is the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom, which are excellent for the money.

I'd also consider the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s - like the Mordaunt-Shorts, these are five-star stunners for £150, but have a gentler tone than the MSs.

Finally, consider the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s (£200) - the Onkyo is more than capable of driving these pricier speakers, and you'll be rewarded with another step up in refinement, detail and drive from the cheaper speakers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, there's a pair of the little ALR Jordan Entry S speakers, designed for use close to walls, for sale here, or you could try little speakers such as the Cambridge Audio S30 or Tangent Evo.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, Clare - I was tempted by the Tannoys after the reading the review, but then went on to read that they required decent stands and a bit of space. Hence my request for advice on speakers that would sound good on shelves.

TRENDING THREADS