Speaker Upgrade - Compact Designs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so sure the neighbours would vote for the CM1's.
lmao.gif
They thunder a little too well.

The Harbeth's are brighter, leaner and with more presence in the upper midrange. They will appeal to those listening at lower volumes in smaller rooms.

Few pointers. IME CM1 sounds best with solid core cables. You get sound a class above with their B&W FS700/CM stands, fastened down and on spikes. They don't react to bi-wiring, the stock links are excellent and there is no need replacing them with wire links.

Enjoy the experience and learn from it, not just shop worrying about buying the wrong speakers.

:cheer:

T

the record spot

Thanks Vladimir, but I've been at this game for a while now. :)

I'm sticking with my multi-strand OFC cables, single wired, which are better than the Audioquest Type IV I ditched back in 2010. I still have the Type IV, but never use it. The difference was so small as to be negligible. They need to perform with my setup, not the other way around really. Thanks for the tips though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:

I'm sticking with my multi-strand OFC cables, single wired, which are better than the Audioquest Type IV I ditched back in 2010. I still have the Type IV, but never use it. The difference was so small as to be negligible. They need to perform with my setup, not the other way around really. Thanks for the tips though.

Good man. I trust your judgment.

T

the record spot

Diamond Joe said:
I've always had a soft spot for the Dali Mentor Menuets in cherry, gorgeous little speakers. Could be worth a listen, I'm guessing they're still available.

They probably are, just not locally alas!

T

the record spot

Vladimir said:
the record spot said:

Good man. I trust your judgment.

No worries; apologies too for the abrupt tone of my earlier reply Vladimir. Re-reading it, I think it comes across that way, albeit unintentional. Cheers again.

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're after a small bookshelf speaker with a big sound, Leema Xero's are great little speakers.
Great PRAT and can follow a baseline although do not go that deep as they're only dinky little boxes.

T

the record spot

Yeah they looked like great little speakers. Bit Marmite in terms of design, not as attractive with that big logo stuck at the bottom, but otherwise they'd have been a good option. If they'd been available locally...!

T

the record spot

Got the B&W CM1s home. Not completely sure they're a big upgrade. This is the demo pair and should be well run in. They sound somewhat boomy in my room, and that's with the foam bungs in place. A little bit too 'hifi' as well I suspect. Not convinced, but will give them a fair run.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
Got the B&W CM1s home. Not completely sure they're a big upgrade. This is the demo pair and should be well run in. They sound somewhat boomy in my room, and that's with the foam bungs in place. A little bit too 'hifi' as well I suspect. Not convinced, but will give them a fair run.

They are boomy, some of the worst bass I have heard, targetted at a certain market no doubt., its a pity because the midrange and high freq, seemed very good. Also not easy to drive.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd second Dave's suggestion of the Martin Logan Motion 15s.

I have the Neat Iotas and like them very much, but I don't think they'd give you that extra bit you want.

Matt

T

the record spot

BigH said:
the record spot said:

They are boomy, some of the worst bass I have heard, targetted at a certain market no doubt., its a pity because the midrange and high freq, seemed very good. Also not easy to drive.

No problems driving them here. Pretty easy load for the Onkyo. Don't sound too bad now they've been used for a few hours. Suspect they hadn't been used for a while and just needed to loosen up a bit. Still not a big gulf between them and the DC4 though!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, Harbeth P3ES are a great choice. Easy to drive (although lowish efficiency), nice tight bass, superb transparency and just all round great speakers. Sort of wish I had tried a pair ages ago.

I did not go with a pair in the end after borrowing some for a short while a week back as I went for some Rega R9s (another story) but the Harbeths were 2nd on the list, probably with a small subwoofer in my room.

As an ATC fan, and possibly fan boy, the Harbeths are probably the only small speaker I would really recommend as great overall speakers, although the little Harbeths probably suit more peoples listening preferences IME.

T

the record spot

Aye, they're in the list! As are some Spendor boxes. The S3/5R2 is on the radar too.

T

the record spot

Too tall I think. need to check.

Edit: yes, 37cm tall. 28cm deep. Too big.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
These are some nice, smooth compact speakers, and I noticed they are now selling them outside Japan.

http://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/product/hifi-and-consumer/fostex-gx100ma-hifi-speaker-dark-brown/

The MID controller is interesting. It's something I'd want to try out at home, because fiddling with it at an audio store made it a little hard to see how effective it could be.

I wonder what the price is. Going by most Fostex products sold overseas they'll probably at least double the price, which is a shame.

The limited edition is even nice, but much pricier.

http://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/product/fostex-hifi-speakers/fostex-gx100-limited-bookshelf-speakers/

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
More than the sensitivity, I think it will be an issue of them not being very widely distributed in the UK so it might be completely impractical to audition them, and they may have an outrageous mark up. I only know the Japanese pricing, which suits the quality of the speaker, but if they double the price, then it might be much harder to consider them.

T

the record spot

Which ones? My Pioneers are 83db - no issues on that score. Sound good, well controlled. The Fostex ones are 82db, so this wouldn't be a problem for the Onkyo.

TRENDING THREADS