Speaker upgrade advice.

Nick B

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone. I am new here and would be grateful for your views and advice.
I have Thorens td150 with ortofon 2m blue, a marantz pm4001 amp, and Accoustic Research 22 bx speakers professionally refoamed by previous owner 10 yrs ago.
It all sounds pretty balanced to me although a bit base light at times at low volume.
I think I should invest in some new speakers. I won't be changing the turntable as it was a gift from my wife so it's a keeper. The amp seems good hence my focus on the speakers.
And that's where I get lost. I listen to jazz, blues and rock.
Could you please offer any advice about the speakers you think would work well with my TT and amp. I don't want to spend tons of money so would put £500 as my budget. I would like to stay with stand mounting speakers.
Also if I did this, would it give me a noticeable improvement in sound?
Thank you in advance for your help with this.
Nick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

if your going second hand world your oyster you just have to be patient for for thing to turn up

Reactions: Nick B
There's a nice pair of Acoustic Energy AE300 here for £449 that should suit very well.

I am assuming you already have stands.....

Nick B

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
There's a nice pair of Acoustic Energy AE300 here for £449 that should suit very well.

I am assuming you already have stands.....
Yes Al ears stands are no probs. Thanks for the pointer, I will find out more about those. My only worry is that they are white. I have got used to black speakers with the ARs. A bit lame I know, but sometimes I listen with my eyes open lol.

Nick B

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Just a word of caution. Modern speakers will sound totally different to your ARs. Depending on what you prefer it may end up being a downgrade.
Wow now that's something I haven't considered insider9. Thanks. It raises the importance of auditioning. Problem is that dealers won't have my TT and amp. Maybe I can get an in house audition. Is that something dealers would do do you think?

Yes, home demos can be arranged with most dealers. I'm a big fan of older speakers but they are a completely different breed to modern ones. I'd suggest a home demo but don't be surprised if new speakers will highlight things about your system you're not aware of. This usually triggers upgraditis :D
Most dealers may do home demos. All pretty irrelevant in today's situation. Don't rush into things and wait until you can actually visit a dealer.
At this time I cannot understand why so many want to upgrade when you cannot act audition, at least in the UK that is.
Sit tight .

Unusual speakers, are you in the U.S.? Probably not as you quote Pounds.
Leftfield advice, simply buy a suitable small subwoofer to supplement your AR's

D

Deleted member 116933

Wow now that's something I haven't considered insider9. Thanks. It raises the importance of auditioning. Problem is that dealers won't have my TT and amp. Maybe I can get an in house audition. Is that something dealers would do do you think?

This is total true and many don’t think of it. People tend to think tech has moved on. But in my experience I’ve been pretty disappointed ( when buying new). Old school brands such as mission ( before they went bust) the 700 series would give 5-800quid a serious run for there money to day and you could pick up 701s for about ton! 703s ( oh man some memories with those) for a couple of hundred . Mission 783s, for people replacing those they’d be looking a very tidy sum indeed just to match them let alone exceed. New is certainly not always upgrade. But it is possible but more than I think you have Allocated I would think.

Heck for your budget second hand if your patient you could find some very nice kef reference speakers. Some on the big E right now. The only problem being your amp might not drive them all that well.

If you can find some that aren’t damaged with push in tweeter and the like. I’d be looking for some mission 780s these partnered very well with Marantz back in the day, What hi fi had them paired with a pm7200, a switchable class A design (a very nice find in it own right) I know I have one and it’s not going any where.

Another model would be b&w 603s. Monster speakers but hard to find decent nick but they do come up every so often.

Maybe kef first/second gen q series

All sounded lovely on Marantz

I still use baby 700s on the pm7200.

That’s where I’d start

Edit at the price your looking at, dealer might be reluctant to let you take the speakers home. Just make sure they have a good refund policy.

Reactions: Al ears and Nick B

Nick B

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Wow that's so true. I grew up with those missions and was soooooo pleased with the 700s.
So....... If the older gear sounds different to more modern gear but we are still talking about quality of sound, is the new gear better or worse or is it an illusion? Is it simply a matter of belief or preference or is there a tangible improvement in the replication of the sound?
Phew this is tricky as I do like the sound I have but I have a belief it could be better.
Thank you all so much. This is a way more complex issue than just - I want to upgrade my speakers. It's moving into - what does upgraded sound mean to me and how will I know when I have it? . And at this moment I can't answer that. Damn.

Wow that's so true. I grew up with those missions and was soooooo pleased with the 700s.
So....... If the older gear sounds different to more modern gear but we are still talking about quality of sound, is the new gear better or worse or is it an illusion? Is it simply a matter of belief or preference or is there a tangible improvement in the replication of the sound?
Phew this is tricky as I do like the sound I have but I have a belief it could be better.
Thank you all so much. This is a way more complex issue than just - I want to upgrade my speakers. It's moving into - what does upgraded sound mean to me and how will I know when I have it? . And at this moment I can't answer that. Damn.
It's very tricky in the current situation. You can either wait or bite the bullet and buy some second-hand with a view to selling them on if they don't improve your sound.
Or spend a little on a small subwoofer..... :)

Nick B

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
It's very tricky in the current situation. You can either wait or bite the bullet and buy some second-hand with a view to selling them on if they don't improve your sound.
Yes Al ears that's a great point. Because I have had my system for a long time I see upgrade as an end point and it clearly isn't. Mind you that's a bit scarey as a potentially dangerous route lol.

D

Deleted member 116933

Actually i little subwoofer might be what your after to give that real full range sound. It probably make the biggest difference to you.

Nick B

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks millennia_one. I will check out my marantz amp and see if it has a sub woofer output. I am not actually sure. It could be another way to go but I really know nothing about sub woofers. How do you measure big or little in sub woofer terms? Is it frequency response, size, output?

Thanks millennia_one. I will check out my marantz amp and see if it has a sub woofer output. I am not actually sure. It could be another way to go but I really know nothing about sub woofers. How do you measure big or little in sub woofer terms? Is it frequency response, size, output?
Usually physical size as it relates to the size of the driver.
You don't need a huge one for hifi as they are more home cinema items.
I have found that one, or even two, small and fast subwoofers are sufficient to raise the sonic ability of a set up. Some do not require a dedicated subwoofer out on the amp.

D

Deleted member 116933

Look at REL or BK subwoofer's the little gmini or the xls200 will be more that enough to give you some "gravitas" and require no dedicated subwoofer output needed on your amp, it connects to your amp via high-level connection ie to speaker binding posts on the amp, red black and yellow wires. Manual is very easy to follow or they will walk you through it over the phone if you cant get your head it (BK that is)

Frequancey wise as long as it does a nice 30hz in room i should imagine you'll very happy.

Reactions: Al ears
Look at REL or BK subwoofer's the little gmini or the xls200 will be more that enough to give you some "gravitas" and require no dedicated subwoofer output needed on your amp, it connects to your amp via high-level connection ie to speaker binding posts on the amp, red black and yellow wires. Manual is very easy to follow or they will walk you through it over the phone if you cant get your head it (BK that is)

Frequancey wise as long as it does a nice 30hz in room i should imagine you'll very happy.
Set-up I heard and recommend used a pair of REL T zeros, available for £249

TRENDING THREADS