speaker sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi brought my new home cinema dec 2010. Yamaha RX-V667 and kef 2005.3k2 5.1 setup. It's taken a long time to get used to the sound of the speakers wondering if they were that good or not but the more i listen the better they sound. These speakers sound are quite descrete and soft sounding untill they need to hit out and they do. Im happy with the midrange detail especially. Do these speakers take this much time to run in or am i just now used to them.

Love to know how to tweak the speakers to the amp and play with the settings but would rather hear people settings than trying to understand the cd rom manual. Also when listening to say soaps ,got talent, shows the stage asounds much better at -6/8Db on amps vol but on bluray its more like -18/20Db. Will 6/to 8db be ok or is this too much. This amps loves volume though.

Cheerrs guys DAZ

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The speakers shouldn't take that long to run in. Perhaps you're getting used to a sub/sat speaker package, rather than full size standmount or floorstanding speakers? If you're only using them for TV/home cinema, the KEF package should be well suited, however.

With regard to setting up, presumably you've used the receiver's auto calibration function to set speaker levels and distances, or perhaps taken things a stage further and got the tape measure out? Beyond that, you'll only get a more precise soundstage by using an SPL meter to adjust speaker levels manually (this is a bit trickier with the sub).

-6db seems rather loud, I might add, but I've been gunned down for making such suggestions in the past.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
-6db seems rather loud, I might add, but I've been gunned down for making such suggestions in the past.

I don't see why you should have been, but it'll depend largely on the input level of the source, I think it's more common for blu-ray to require a higher volume setting on the amp though, or at least it does on mine. There's no right or wrong answer though, whatever sounds right, as long as the volume isn't maxed out.

A

Anonymous

I think with that Yamaha which i have -6db is louder than -20db

It is just down to the source really though, just seems its normalized at a different level.

I find if you can accomodate 7.1 then it sounds so much better, just put the 2 speakers behind a settee on a wall and move it out about 50-100cm when watching a movie.

Just watched Crimson Tide and it was an excellent example of good surround sound, especially with 7.1

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
When you watch TV, is it via a Sky box or Freeview, or something else?

The volume you play the receiver at will depend on the output level of the source (as the_ lhc has already mentioned) but will also depend on the speaker's efficiency and the size of the room - what size is your room? What crossover point do you have the speakers set to on the receiver?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts