Speaker placement

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

this is my living room and current speaker placements. Lets assume that moving the TV very far isn't an option. Can I improve this at all? Fronts are at same height as TV, centre is on top shelf of Alphason cabinet, rears are just above head height. Speakers are Kef 2005s, PSW2000 sub and Denon 1911 AVR if it helps...

6_OQEbt07NLZTGZSN8gWNA
Placement.JPG
Stuff02

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, that's a bit blurry! Here's a direct link...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6_OQEbt07NLZTGZSN8gWNA?feat=directlink

A

Anonymous

You have a similar placement to me, only mine is mirror image with the TV in the left hand corner.

The ideal placement is with the centre, well in the centre. The right and left equal distant either side of the TV with the surrounds again equal distant to the TV and the listening position. Aslong as you get as close to that as possible then you will get the best result possible. See the Dolby website for tuts.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Your placement doesn't look too bad, a lot of lounge layouts involve a lot more compromises.

The only thing I would suggest (though this may not be possible because of the window), is bring the sub out from the rear corner (I would have thought that position would be making it quite boomy), and push the TV stand flat against the wall. That would allow you to put the right speaker on a small table next to the stand, therefore having the left and right speakers spaced equally away from the centre (or you could mount them both on the wall a couple of feet either side of the TV?).

The sub can then be placed a few feet along the side wall. You might want to try experimenting with the rear speaker height also (2-3ft above head height is the 'standard' recommendation), as I would imagine being that close to the seating position would make the 'Eggs' very localised as direct radiators. If they are wall on the brackets that come with them, you could try swivelling them to point in different directions instead (along both vertical and horizontal planes), until you get the best balance of localisation and diffusion of surround effects for your taste.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
We're fairly new to the area so are renting this house until we know where we want to buy, so wall mounting anything isn't an option sadly. The rears are on the Kef stands, so I can't get any more height out of them for now. They are a bit localised and ambient sounds aren't ideal. The TV isn't big enough to sit lengthways in the room either (unless What Hi-Fi can sort me out with the 2010 award winner ) which is a shame as that would allow good L/R separation and some distance behind the sofa to the rears. I might try moving the TV along a bit, although I'll have to get a longer sub cable and possibly extend the Sky cables.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh right, doesn't sound like you've got many options there then, unfortunately.

Probably best waiting until you have your new house. Good time to buy in the current climate and at this time of year - haggle hard and get yourself a bargain! Good luck.

A

Anonymous

I'd consider putting the Centre verticle to the left of the TV to allow better show of sound from left to right and more equal spacing for the 3 fronts. Id try to remove the sub from behind the TV as it can cause the bass to be muffled and heavy.

If it was me id consider moving the sofa out slightly whilst watching a movie and go for the following setup as the wide apart fronts makes a great difference

www.espocartoons.com/surround.jpg

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
craigtumilty:I'd consider putting the Centre verticle to the left of the TV to allow better show of sound from left to right and more equal spacing for the 3 fronts.

That's an interesting thought.

craigtumilty:Id try to remove the sub from behind the TV

Always a fine line between optimal placement and wife friendliness!

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Lee H:

craigtumilty:I'd consider putting the Centre verticle to the left of the TV to allow better show of sound from left to right and more equal spacing for the 3 fronts.

That's an interesting thought.

craigtumilty:Id try to remove the sub from behind the TV

Always a fine line between optimal placement and wife friendliness!

I definately wouldn't move the centre speaker to there, as most of the dialogue comes from the centre its the most easy to localise. You'll therefore easily be able to tell that the speech is coming from a different plane to the screen.

I would still say move that sub though, it'll have the most impact on the sound quality I would suspect - but then we all have to take into account the WAF!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts