speaker hiss

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello all

To try and get a bit of sound balance on my system with different sources (DVD was always quieter), I worked with the relative volumes a bit - so now DVD inputs are +8, and TV (freesat) +4. This means the missus doesn't jump out of her skin when I switch from DVD to telly, and also I don't have to crank up the volume to MAX on certain telly programmes (some broadcasts are just quieter).

Sorry for the long-winded intro, but it may have some bearing on the problem:

I've got quite a bit of rear speaker hiss when watching stuff in pro-logic 2. It applies to DVDs (West Wing isn't 5.1) and TV, but doesn't feature when watching 5.1 (either dvds or, e.g. Cinderalla Man on BBC HD 5.1 last night). There's also a rather unsatisfactory "squeally/squeaky" sound when you put your ear right up to the rear speakers.

Now, (slap my wrists) but my rear speaker cables run very close together, but is that the cause (surely if the 5.1 is fine, there must be another cause?)

Any thoughts, musings and random insults are welcome (but insults less-so).

Cheers

Garry

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The symptoms suggest the Pro-Logic II processing is being overloaded with too much level, or otherwise struggling to get its teeth into the stereo soundtracks and create surround effects.

I'd suggest you knock the DVD input setting back to +4 and the TV to 0, and see whether that helps.

Confident it's nothing to do with the cables...

TRENDING THREADS