Speaker Design for close to walls

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello

I'm looking at speaker brands and designs that work particularly against walls.

From my wall i have measured i have 43cm from the the back wall to the from of the tweater. To make things worst I have to put them on a unit (no dedicated stands)

I have a cyrus one cast and B&W 601 s3 speakers. These are front ported and shallow in depth. I guess I want to be looking a something similar.

I would willing to spend what it takes to get good sound at lower volumes in a small/meduim room. 4x6 meters. But I guess to put a figure on it around £1500 but happy to go second hand vintage route too.

Harbeth
ATC
Spendor
ProAc

are these brands I should be looking at? Do these work with Cyrus?

Of those four superb British brands, I’d think ATC’s smallest SCM7 would be most likely to tolerate close wall mounting. They also make wall mounted speakers, but I know nothing about them I’m afraid.

Beyond them, Neat Acoustics make the tiny Iota which you can hang on the wall, and the bigger Iota Alpha, which sits on the floor, but is only knee high! Lastly, the smaller Q Acoustics models have an optional wall mounting kit, and don’t be put off by their modest price as they’re excellent by any standards.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Of those four superb British brands, I’d think ATC’s smallest SCM7 would be most likely to tolerate close wall mounting. They also make wall mounted speakers, but I know nothing about them I’m afraid.

Beyond them, Neat Acoustics make the tiny Iota which you can hang on the wall, and the bigger Iota Alpha, which sits on the floor, but is only knee high! Lastly, the smaller Q Acoustics models have an optional wall mounting kit, and don’t be put off by their modest price as they’re excellent by any standards.
Thanks for the suggestions however, i didn't necessarily mean I need them on the wall just close to the wall.

Cyrus has 100w of power, is this not enough?
Should be. No reason why not.

If you don't mind older speakers, Spendor SA-1 should be fine. Demoed these a few years ago and they were a good speaker, although not quite for my taste.

matthewpianist

Neat Iotas are superb and will work well with your Cyrus One. The Spendor S1 would also be a very good choice - sealed box, and I know from experience they work very well close to the rear wall. Which is right for you depends on your tastes - the Spendors are very refined and perfect for long listening sessions, but the Neats have a more up-front and immediately engaging sound.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Neat Iotas are superb and will work well with your Cyrus One. The Spendor S1 would also be a very good choice - sealed box, and I know from experience they work very well close to the rear wall. Which is right for you depends on your tastes - the Spendors are very refined and perfect for long listening sessions, but the Neats have a more up-front and immediately engaging sound.
I think i need to demo both of these!

Thanks for the recommendations.

I much prefer the look of the spendors if im honest and I need the “ok” from my wife :)

But if sounds is best I’ll get the neat

Reactions: matthewpianist

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
As suggested by Matthew, I predict quite a difference in presentation between the two.

Let us know if you get to compare them.
Yes will do. My small local dealer has only a few brands but 2 of them are Neat and Spendor.

He recommended me Spendors as he said the Neat work best with Exposure amps.

However, this is all subjective I know. So I go with
Open ears 👂

Ophidian Minimo or Mojo. Both are rear “vented”, which doesn’t throw a lot of high speed air that can interact with the wall, the air flow is almost non existent.

I would’ve mentioned the Larsen 4.3, but they’re short floorstanders - ideal for those in a similar situation that can accommodate a small footprint floorstander.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts