Speaker component choice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im going to build a pair of speakers and have a choice of Scan Speak, Peerless or Vifa speakers. The cabinets will be properly constructed with good XOs.

Has anyone an opinion on these makes?

The Scan Speak are considerably dearer than the others, is this a good indication of sound quality?

I live in Perth Australia, we have limited choices when it comes to HiFi.

Cheers

Steve

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi, when you say "properly constructed", unless the cabinet is huge, the dimensions/shape/material of the enclosure could well have a larger effect on sound than the drivers... are you constructing it from a data sheet, or just your own design?

I have heard good things about the scanspeak drivers, and there are quite a few speaker manufacturers that use them (including the like of Focal and Ruark for instance). As an aside I believe Peerless and Vifa come from sister companies of Scanspeak, but are slightly lower down the price order...

A

Anonymous

Yes Ill be using a design for the enclosure.

The material is MDF as it is easily sourced.

The reason i have to DiY that Ive made solid wood furniture in Sheoak and Marri and want the speakers to match. Short of commissioning custom speakers (Which I cant afford) I have to make my own.
The cabinets will be constructed from (35mm) MDF, thick veneered and wired with good XOs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts