Question Speaker choice for IsoAcoustic stands

CaptVanTylip

May 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I'm looking for a pair of speakers to use in a difficult room. They will have to be on a floorstanding rack as I'm disabled and I will be listening on the floor seated. I have a rack very comfortable at around 53cm high so will be at ear level. I will place them on IsoAcoustic stands or stuff like that, general stands are impossible because the rack takes all the space (it's wide and heavy). The speakers will be around 25 cm from wall then, maybe 20-30 depending on depth. I have 3 main candidates: JMR Bliss Jubile, Dynaudio Evoke 20 (plugs?) and Elac Vela bs403. I knwo velas are smaller but down port and all. Will be glad to hear your thoughts

Welcome to the forum.
I quite like the Elacs, both build and performance, but have not heard the other two you mention.
I would avoid using any speakers that you have to use fully bunged.
What amplifier do you intend to use?
The JMR website advises 40cm or more from back wall. From one review - "These speakers, like the Twins and the other previous Bliss models, pretty much require the use of the JMR Magic Stands for optimum performance"

CaptVanTylip

May 23, 2020
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the feedback!!!!!! Sorry took long to reply. I will be building the system from scratch and intend to use it for long years so yeah don't want to miss because I'll be buying on tax return from abroad and don't want to spend time chasing wrong first choices. Sources will be vinyl and cd. Amp most likey Atoll in100 signature integrated and its matching cd, tt either clearaudio concept wood mm or elac 90 anniversary. The room I haven't measured on purpose yet but at a glance looks like 6x4 and the rack makes part of the longer wall. Can sit anywhere between the rack and the opposite wall

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Thank you everyone for the feedback!!!!!! Sorry took long to reply. I will be building the system from scratch and intend to use it for long years so yeah don't want to miss because I'll be buying on tax return from abroad and don't want to spend time chasing wrong first choices. Sources will be vinyl and cd. Amp most likey Atoll in100 signature integrated and its matching cd, tt either clearaudio concept wood mm or elac 90 anniversary. The room I haven't measured on purpose yet but at a glance looks like 6x4 and the rack makes part of the longer wall. Can sit anywhere between the rack and the opposite wall
So, out of the stuff you listed, I'm only familiar with an older JMR Bliss model, which I quite liked, a lower end Atoll model and the Clearaudio Concept. But, from what I read, most of them are all in the smooth sounding camp. Of course, only your ears can decide, and ideally you could do a home demo of anything you consider purchasing. But, in theory, a balance should be maintained, for synergy's sake. I know that the Dynaudio and the Elac speakers need some space around them, so they might not be suitable for close to wall placement. Also, all the JMR reviews way that they 1 sound smooth, 2 need good control on the bass, but on the bright side, they are unfussy with positioning. Also, were it my money, I'd shift more budget towards amplification.

For the JMR speakers, I'd look at something like the Naim Nait XS3 and the Elac TT. If you don't mind the looks of Technics, those are great and a SL1200 GR with a Nagaoka mp 150 or even 200 should be stellar. For CD player, you could consider the Naim CD5si or, if you don't mind mixing gear and want to save up somewhere, budget Marantz CD players are unbeatable for the money, imo. Or, if you don't have a ton of CD s or don't care too much about the ritual of placing the CD in the spinner, you could just get a Tidal or Qobuz or Amazon HD or whatever subscription, and get a streamer - either a Yamaha wxad 10 for a budget solution, Cambridge Audio CXN v2 for a mid-range one, or Naim ND5XS 2 for the pricier one.

Alternatively, you could just look at a Naim Uniti Star for a great one-box, which only misses a phono preamp (a Simaudio Moon 110lp v2 would be a superb one, or Heed Questar or Arcam rPhono or even the Schiit Mani), or a Linn Majik DSM, which doesn't have a CD spinner (you could use an Audiolab CDT6000 for this into one of the Linn's digital inputs). Also, the Linn comes with room correction, which will make your speaker choice more flexible. Anothe forum member, who is also a dealer, swears by Lyngdorf, which also come with room correction - these are well worth investigating too.

Other speakers that are ok with close-to-wall placement are ATC SCM 11 v2, and I'd partner those with a Roksan Caspian M2 or Blak. Just make sure that the ISOacoustics can support their weight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts