Speaker cabling: worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"][quote user="Keith McAlpine"]The mains lead isn't in the signal path so can't affect the sound. Unless it disconnects completely of course.

The onus is on the proponents of mains leads to explain how on earth it possibly could.[/quote]

gee i must be slipping (well i have been away for a while)!!! sorry Zoot didnt recognise your handy-work. im not going to bother beating you with reasoned debate for a THIRD time. you lost, get over it![/quote]

That's a weird thing for someone to say when they realise they are out of their depth in a discussion. The normal way to deal with it is to either just not reply or to educate themselves so they can reply.

I'll give you another chance. How can mains leads affect the sound?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gyp"]If the best you can achieve is from £100 microsystem, £50 speakers and £850
cables then that's great also. [/quote]

LOL....good sense of humour (I hope!)

I have seen a £12,000 system with £8 interconnects and £30 of speakers cables and they sounded sublime :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
I have seen a £12,000 system with £8 interconnects and £30 of speakers cables and they sounded sublime :)[/quote]

Because above that level high priced cables only means bigger profits, not better quality.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Going back to Zimble01's original question before this deteriorates into another "cables make a difference-no they don't " thread.

Zimble01 stated
"My current 'speaker cable (VDH The Clearwater) is a metre too short and is not such a great performer anyway",

why do you think it's not a great performer, what are you not happpy with in the way your system performs?

Wish I could get this site to display posts as I set them up.

A

Anonymous

Hi peteallen

I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting now from the Arcam, Primare B&W set up. I also have a Clearaudio Performance turntable which is amazingly transparent and has wonderful bass. Am I tempted by the Leema? Of course, but where do you stop? Also the Arcam has a phono board and if I changed to a Leema I expect it hasn't got a phono option so I'd need yet another box and another shelf - running our of space.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="Thaiman"]
I have seen a £12,000 system with £8 interconnects and £30 of speakers cables and they sounded sublime :)[/quote]

Because above that level high priced cables only means bigger profits, not better quality.[/quote]

I believe in this high end cables though: https://www.virtualdynamics.ca/

blind fold or eyes open we can pick them out everytime :)

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"]before this deteriorates into another "cables make a difference-no they don't " thread.[/quote]

There is one constant as to when this deterioration occurs.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]I believe in this high end cables though:[/quote]

"High end" cables don't need to be expensive. That's the point.

[quote user="Thaiman"]https://www.virtualdynamics.ca/[/quote]

On the very first page there's some cooked up pseudoscientific test about mains cables and pictures of pretty (gold?) ingots with wires through them. A classic mug's eyeful. Why not a double blind test? Because they know that there is no difference to be heard?

Quality cables can and are being made cheaply and sold with enormous mark ups.

A

Anonymous

Anton. Something for you to read.:0)

http://sound.westhost.com/cable-z.htm

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Anton. Something for you to read.:0)

http://sound.westhost.com/cable-z.htm
[/quote]

Thank you for that. I Knew about 85% of that. The remaining 15 % was interesting.

I found the following also quite interesting (taken from your web reference):

"For these esoteric cables, their high capacitance dictates that there will be the opportunity for the insulating material to contribute its "sound" to the overall signal fed to the loudspeakers. It must be pointed out that this is hotly disputed by many engineers, and there is no conclusive evidence that any one dielectric material is "sonically superior" to any other. I know of no properly conducted Double-Blind Test (DBT) where the listening panel was able to pick the difference with greater than 50% accuracy - i.e. pure chance. However, the possibility cannot be discounted, so it is worth mentioning."

"However, the possibility cannot be discounted, so it is worth mentioning". A very sensible view to a theoretic analysis.
Also remember it is based on pure simulations which are dependent on the underlying mathematical model employed. If the model is wrong or incomplete then the simulations will be of limited value.

What was the exact point you are making?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"] What was the exact point you are making?[/quote]

I just thought you might be interested because I found it interesting.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]On the very first page there's some cooked up pseudoscientific test about mains
cables and pictures of pretty (gold?) ingots with wires through them. [/quote]

Er.......I didn't bother to read all that rubbish myself, I bought them on recommendation of Frank, KK cables founder, and I know if I didn't like it I will get my money back when i sell them on because they are such a sort after pair od interconnects.....but I like it :)

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]
Quality cables can and are being made cheaply and sold with enormous mark
ups.
[/quote]
In general term I do agree with you. but without you touching the VD cables and examing the high engineering and, dare I say, perfectly builded you will never know why this brand are so different than the other! S class Merc of the cables world :) Oh and I work bloody hard for many many years so now and again I have right to treat myself.....they are very cheap compare to the Kondo mate

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"][quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]sorry Zoot didnt recognise your handy-work[/quote]

I may be wrong but I think his name is Kev??
[/quote]

really - you dont say? but i think you will find "kev" is yet another alias for the troll who was known as Zoot and prior to the Old Fart... seems he disgraces himself so much that he has to keep changing his name and yet he never changes his arguments...

A

Anonymous

Maybe some of the expensive cables are a rip off.Who cares? there are loads of things in life that are a rip off but people everywhere still buy them.LCD prices for instance, car prices in the uk, designer clothes,perfume to name but a few.Its up to the individual to choose what they spend their money on.Keith, you talk so much mince its not true.The only way you can possibly believe what you say is if you have never demo'd mains cables or many speaker cables and interconnects.If you had you just would not come out with the stuff you come out with.Do you agree that speaker stands work or is that all quackery and a rip off too? should we all just buy basic ones as any perceived improvement from more expensive ones is imagined? I had a cable demo last night witha few mates.Every one of them was amazed at my chord chorus.Honestly, if you could not hear a difference you would have to be either 1)deaf 2)an obtuse individual stuck in his ways and not prepared to actually listen and give something new or different a chance. Which are you keith? or is it Nigel? As for mains cables.Look at the actual construction of russ andrews cables and you can plainly see how they work.People on this site have expalined to you many times how they work and you keep ignoring their posts and coming back with the same droning stuff.Give it up.No one believes you.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifisayanythingsensibleit'samiracle"][quote user="Anton90125"][quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]sorry Zoot didnt recognise your handy-work[/quote]

[/quote]

really - you dont say? but i think you will find "kev" is yet another alias for the troll who was known as Zoot and prior to the Old Fart... seems he disgraces himself so much that he has to keep changing his name and yet he never changes his arguments...[/quote]

You don't seem to have anything to say.

A

Anonymous

I just sold a Chord Chorus I used from my amp to headphone amp - and an Anthem from CD to amp - I bought a Merlin Chopin for £37 off eBay and it sounds nicer, lovely midrange.

:)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]I just sold a Chord Chorus I used from my amp to headphone amp - and an Anthem from CD to amp - I bought a Merlin Chopin for £37 off eBay and it sounds nicer, lovely midrange. :)[/quote]

What are you using for an amp and cd player? i don't doubt that in certain systems a cheaper cable might sound better.For instance my van den hul integration does not sound that good on my mates teac mini separates ,but a dnm reson at a 3rd of the price sounds superb. I have heard cambridge audio cables,qed, ecosse,chord,dnm, van den hul,ixos and nordost. As the cables get more expensive they improve,almost without exception, if you have a system good enough to show it. The chord chorus compared to your average £40 interconnect is in a whole different league.Its an amazing cable with realism and slam that is stunning.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]bought a Merlin Chopin for £37 off eBay and it sounds nicer, lovely midrange.
:)[/quote]

The Chopin are simple but effective. At the price you paid it's a great buy.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="ifisayanythingsensibleit'samiracle"][quote user="Anton90125"][quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]sorry Zoot didnt recognise your handy-work[/quote]

[/quote]

really - you dont say? but i think you will find "kev" is yet another alias for the troll who was known as Zoot and prior to the Old Fart... seems he disgraces himself so much that he has to keep changing his name and yet he never changes his arguments...[/quote]

You don't seem to have anything to say.[/quote]

listen old zoot mcalpine ive said too many times before and im not going to waste my time trying educate somebody who isnt prepared to learn. if you really want to know what i have to say then reread the posts i have made in the other threads on this same topic.
if you look carefully at this very same page you will see i am not the only person who is fed up with your arrogance and ignorance.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]im not going to waste my time trying educate somebody who isnt prepared to learn[/quote]

Oh go on. It's most amusing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts