Speaker cables and system quality

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I seldom get involved in Cable debates, for obvious reasons.

It is my personal belief that they make differences, having listened to cables at all prices, from manufacturers like TCI, Vertere, Atlas, Cardas, Telurium Q, Chord, Linn, QED, Clearer Audio, Furutech...and probably more.....and expensive didn't always sound better (or should I say, preferable to me).

I have one anecdote which is totally true, doesn't conclusively prove anything but IMO is interesting nonetheless....and I have mentioned it here before:

Back in about 2011, I bought an Atlas Voyager from Ebay. I didn't like it, as it seemed to make the treble rather harsh and sibilent, so traded it in with my local dealer.

In 2013 (I think), I was interested in buying either the R100 or LS50.....I really wanted to save the money and go for the R100s, but decided to test them both. I had 2 long sessions with a system that consisted of a Linn Sneaky + Arcam AVR600. The LS50s were so much better, that I decided to go for them....but before I pulled the pin, I wanted Mrs. Cno to hear the difference as well.

So back I went, with herself in tow, to listen again.

First up was the R100s.

The sound had a hard glassy bite to it that was unpleasant, but I put it down to the equipment being cold. Half an hour later it was no better. We then put in the LS50s which were more natural, but still there was a hardness there. This was puzzling, as none of this kit should have sounded like this.and hadn't done so on the other two occasions (on the end of the same system). Mrs C was not impressed and wondered what all the fuss was about....as I'd raved about the LS50s.

Over an hour later, there was not much improvement, so I asked the dealer what s/c was being used......he replied that it was the good install (copper) bi-wire that I have used before, so not the problem.

Anyway, Michael (the owner) was called away to see to a customer....so I decided to have a poke about behind the system...and there to my amazement, was an Atlas Voyager. I had not expected this, as he always uses Linn Blacks or Silver, and isn't an Atlas dealer.

When Michael became freed up, I asked him why he had used the Atlas cable. He said that a few days ago, he had a customer who asked for a cable that was less smooth than the Linn Blacks and he dug out this one (which was mine from all that time ago). Since it was kicking about the dem room, he used it to connect the system.

I then had him exchange it for some Linn Blacks (which had been used for the other 2 dems) and the sound returned to what it had been like before.....we both agreed the LS50s were well worth the extra and so that is what I bought.

You can't get more blind than not knowing (or expecting) that there had been a change of i/c. ....and my expectation bias was that Linn Blacks were being used....as it never crossed my mind that he would have dug out a cable from a year or two back (that I didn't even know he still had).

So people can make of that what they will.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes I would, if the M2's were compared against a properly engineered speaker with no stupid ports.

A very obvious, easily noticed difference on bass transients - bass drums and bass guitars - like half the band on the majority of my music collection.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:
For those that missed it:

Floyd Toole - Sound reproduction – art and science/opinions and facts
That is one of his better lectures.

He is obsessed with frequency response. There's more to a speaker than flatness of frequency response with 2.83v sine waves.

You've obviously haven't watched any of it, otherwise you wouldn't comment this nonsense.
I've watched all of it.

He calls the JBL M2 an exemplary speaker because it has a flat frequency response, which it achieves through the use of equalisation.

In this lecture he showed and discussed lots of frequency response charts for various speakers.

There wasn't a single time in which he discussed transient response. No measurements were made for example of single cycle sine waves fed through the speakers at bass frequencies. An area where the M2 would be rather less than perfect due to the use of ports.

Well he isn't a speaker designer or engineer. Toole spoke of importance of rooms and off axis measurements, how simple on axis FR don't speak in full about the character of the speaker. 40 years of psychoacoustics research, trained listeners, DBTs, damn shuffling robots for speaker comparisons and whole philosophy about sound reproduction. It's unfair to reduce all that to "huh, another FR graph wanker". Give the doctor a bit more credit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts