Speaker Cable for Monitor Audio Silver series

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just got my new 5.1 setup, MA silver RX6, RXC, RXFX and RX12 sub. It's gonna be driven by a Yamaha RX-V1067 receiver. But what speaker cable to choose? Far from eveything reviewed in What Hi-Fi is available here in Uppsala, Sweden. Will QED original do?

And what about the terminals on the speakers, I don't have much experience from anything but low-budget speakers, they look like they'll only accept wires directly, but maybe the top willl unscrew and then taka the usual plugs?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have the BX and use QED Silver Anniversary XT; others will endorse their own cable choice, but I like mine.

As for the terminals, you can either use bare wire or banana plugs. To insert the plugs, you pop out the centre of the binding post. It will come out easy enough just with your finger nails.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, they did come out but I almost tore a nail out :) But I'll use the tiniest screwdriver I can find instead. :)

Well, if you use anniversery XT for your BX I can't use less, can I? :)

Martinp74 said:
I just got my new 5.1 setup, MA silver RX6, RXC, RXFX and RX12 sub. It's gonna be driven by a Yamaha RX-V1067 receiver. But what speaker cable to choose? Far from eveything reviewed in What Hi-Fi is available here in Uppsala, Sweden. Will QED original do?

And what about the terminals on the speakers, I don't have much experience from anything but low-budget speakers, they look like they'll only accept wires directly, but maybe the top willl unscrew and then taka the usual plugs?

Hi Martin74

Standard 79 or 500 strand OFC type speaker cables will be more than good enough for your Silver RX speakers. Fwiw, i use these cables with a Plinius Odean power amplifier and PL300 AV/PL200 AV speaker systems.

Btw, RX-V1067 and Silver RX speakers - nice :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Martinp74 said:
Thanks, they did come out but I almost tore a nail out :) But I'll use the tiniest screwdriver I can find instead. :)

Well, if you use anniversery XT for your BX I can't use less, can I? :)

Hi Martin74

The ideal way to remove the plastic caps on Monitor Audio speakers is -

Unscrew the terminals and remove the metal links

Retighten the speaker terminals (this will widen the gap between the plastic caps and the top of the speaker termimals)

Use a small screwdriver to remove plastic caps

For single wiring replace metal links

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I actually found that if you tighten them as much as possible, there was a small gap between the cap and the rest, just enough to use the same little screwdriver I used for attaching the plugs to the cable. Went for Van den Hul Snowline for the rears and CS-122 Hybrid for the front three speakers (RX6's bi-amped).

Sounds terrific, warming them up for the extend LOTR on BD this weekend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts