Speaker Cables for RX6 AV12?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am about to buy the RX6 AV12 package (2xRX6, RX Center, 2xRXFX, RXW-12) and I am going to partner them with either Pioneer LX86 (most likely this one) or Denon 5420 or Yamaha A3020.

What speaker cables should I get?

I want good cables, that will last and make the most of my setup (don't want to upgrade later).

Also, how about banana plugs to make the plugging/unplugging job easier in case I decide to move?

Cost wise I don't have any idea, but if it's good I'll buy it... Spending 4-5k on this system so some money for cables is not going to break the bank (since it's already broken
tongue.gif
)

My room is 13x13 feet (4x4 meters).

The RX6 and RX Center will be placed less than 1 meter from the AVR.

The RXFX will be placed on the opposite wall, so speaker cable going around the room and up on the wall approximately 33 feet (10 meters) from the AVR.

The RXW-12 sub will be placed on the side approximately 16.5 feet (5 meters) from the AVR.

Sorry for the rant... summary: recommend me some speaker cables please!

On a side note, I would need to ship this from UK to Malta, so if you know of any shop that ships overseas, send me a message or reply to this thread please.

Thanks

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
A good choice on components(see sig below). I use QED silver anniversary xt for my rx6 fronts and centre. Saved myself a few quid by using just silver for the rears as they were long runs up wall from amp over ceiling and into rxfx. Sure I bought from avonline advert in back of mag. You will not be disappointed with the settup. let me know how you get on... I bought the banana plugs from eBay. They were relatively inexpensive.

All the best.

John

A

Anonymous

I was researching a bit and I came across the Van Damme Studio Grade Blue 2x2.5mm

Is it a good cable? (I would use it for all the system and hopefully it would fit from underneath the RXFX as I cannot put the wire in the wall)

Any thoughts?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi,i use 3 runs of ecosse MS4.45 biwire cable for the fronts and centres of my rx6 av12 system and silver anniversary for the 4 rxfx surrounds amplified by a pioneer vsx lx55 and it all sounds imo absolutley stunning,but of course it is all down to individual taste.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, will check them out.

Also what kind of cable do I need for the subwoofer (RXW12)?

And I am not sure whether the sub will be powered by the AVR or by the mains?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

the sub is powered by mains cable which is supplied or you can choose to upgrade it, i use a clearer audio copperline mains cable and chord sub interconnect,incidentally i have my sub positioned to the right of the front right hand front speaker,good luck.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Gobs4956 said:
Hi,i use 3 runs of ecosse MS4.45 biwire cable for the fronts and centres of my rx6 av12 system and silver anniversary for the 4 rxfx surrounds amplified by a pioneer vsx lx55 and it all sounds imo absolutley stunning,but of course it is all down to individual taste.

Would be interested in seeing your system. Pics in the appropriate thread??

Cheers

John

michael hoy

abriffa said:
I was researching a bit and I came across the Van Damme Studio Grade Blue 2x2.5mm

Is it a good cable? (I would use it for all the system and hopefully it would fit from underneath the RXFX as I cannot put the wire in the wall)

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I would agree on the Van Damme, but this one instead.

UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi Interconnect & speaker series

I use the 4mm, but the 2.5 should be OK.

A

Anonymous

Anyone knows if the subwoofer cable comes in the box or do i have to buy it?

If not, which one should I buy?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

So can anyone recommend a good subwoofer cable?

For the speakers I am getting Van Damme Blue 2.5mm all around if it makes any difference

Thanks

Hi abriffa

I mostly use cables for our sub woofers which are supplied by one of our local electrical stores (RF Potts). These sub woofer cables are easy to use (very flexible) yet robust and also cost little money. Fwiw, i am currently using an RF Potts sub woofer cable between a Chord Electronics DSP8000 AV processor and a JL Audio Fathom f212 sub woofer.

http://www.rfpotts.com/en/

Alternatively QED's Performance sub woofer cables are also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi,

For speaker cable, I decided to go for the Van Damme Blue 2x2.5mm all around.

Now I just need a subwoofer cable... Was looking at something like QED Reference for £55... Is it a good choice, or a waste of money and any subwoofer cable will do?

Also how does it connect to the AVR (Denon 4520)?

According to the RXW12 manual:

RCA Line Level Inputs (Left & Right)

If a digital AV processor or AV receiver/amplifier is to be used, a single cable can be connected from the ‘sub out’ or LFE connection on the amplifier to the RCA input connection on the RXW-12 labelled ‘R’. The RCA input marked ‘L’ in this case will remain unused.

How does this work? I think some people use a Y-Connector to connect to both L and R? If not, why only the R is used?

Thanks

michael hoy

abriffa said:
Hi,

For speaker cable, I decided to go for the Van Damme Blue 2x2.5mm all around.

Now I just need a subwoofer cable... Was looking at something like QED Reference for £55... Is it a good choice, or a waste of money and any subwoofer cable will do?

Also how does it connect to the AVR (Denon 4520)?

According to the RXW12 manual:

RCA Line Level Inputs (Left & Right)

If a digital AV processor or AV receiver/amplifier is to be used, a single cable can be connected from the ‘sub out’ or LFE connection on the amplifier to the RCA input connection on the RXW-12 labelled ‘R’. The RCA input marked ‘L’ in this case will remain unused.

How does this work? I think some people use a Y-Connector to connect to both L and R? If not, why only the R is used?

Thanks

The single connection works fine as stated in the manual, however you can use a "Y" splitter and use both inputs on the sub.

I checked this with MA, it can give a boost in bass.

The Denon has 2 subwoofer out connections, use sub1.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply!

What about the subwoofer cable? Which should I get?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

For subwoofer cable I decided to go with the Canare LV-77S as it gets great reviews at a nice price!

For speaker cables I was set for the Van Damme Blue but but I am having second thoughts toward the Van DAmme UP-LCOFC.

In both cases I was looking at 2.5mm as I don't think I need 4 mm (fronts less than 1 meter away from AVR and Rears will be 10 meters away). Is 2.5mm enough or 4mm will be better?

Which one should I get out of these two?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
abriffa said:
For subwoofer cable I decided to go with the Canare LV-77S as it gets great reviews at a nice price!

For speaker cables I was set for the Van Damme Blue but but I am having second thoughts toward the Van DAmme UP-LCOFC.

In both cases I was looking at 2.5mm as I don't think I need 4 mm (fronts less than 1 meter away from AVR and Rears will be 10 meters away). Is 2.5mm enough or 4mm will be better?

Which one should I get out of these two?

Thanks

Go for the UP stuff. You will get away with the 2.5mm, but I'd personally go for 4mm for the fronts.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I am looking at the following banana plugs:

Nakamichi 24k Gold or

GLS Audio Generation4 Locking Banana Plugs

Which of these would be best?

Also, for both cases, do I need heat shrink tubing or not? (These will go in the AVR and the Speakers as well)

For the RXFX I think I would need angle spade connectors as the banana plugs will be a problem because of the wall. I was looking at the GLS Audio Spade Connector. Anyone knows if the RXFX will hang on the wall fine with these kind of connectors? (I am worried that since it's exactly on the wall the connectors are too big and they will not fit!)

Thanks

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
QED Signature for a subwoofer cable - Seriously Great sub Cable - you wont be dissapointed thats a promise.

Whats your budget for the speaker cable?

If you want really great and I mean really great speaker cable - and I know it will work amazingly well with an LX86 and RX package then check out Graham Slee Spatia. Its a lot more money than the £5 a metre stuff people have recommended but you get very high end performance from it and it will work very well with that system as I have tried it on 2 very similar systems.

You can get a free home demo - but be prepared to buy it

TRENDING THREADS