Speaker Cable for Home Cinema

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering how important the quality of speaker cable is for home cinema listening; ( I do not listen to CDs).

My current cable to the front speakers (including centre) is QED Silver, a good "budget" cable. Having subsequently upgraded my amp to a Yamaha RX-V3800, speakers to Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10s and now a Panasonic '35 Blu-Ray player, will I gain sonically by installing more expensive (better?) speaker cable, or is it all "snake oil" mythology and will make no discernible difference?!

Many thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hunnyy:
Any views, anyone, on the importance of speaker cable to home cinema (rather than pure music?).

Thanks.

That's a tough one. I would say with your speakers and amp, yes. If you were going to listen to music with the GR10s, definitely yes. In fact, what a waste of those speakers!! Shame on you!!

A

Anonymous

hunnyy:

Any views, anyone, on the importance of speaker cable to home cinema (rather than pure music?).

Thanks.

Simple as this. You can either fill a toilet with pound notes or plough money into over-priced speaker cable. Cables cable. If you can honestly tell any difference whats so ever i'm a monkeys uncle. Seriously my mate has his full system wired in electrical 3 core flex and it sounds spot on. I have also recently wired some fancy kit in a popular high street store who demanded all their sound sytem be wired in the same stuff!

I heard of people using it for home install but was surprised when a commercial retailer, actually spec this!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
soulstyle:hunnyy:

Thanks.

Simple as this. You can either fill a toilet with pound notes or plough money into over-priced speaker cable. Cables cable. If you can honestly tell any difference whats so ever i'm a monkeys uncle. Seriously my mate has his full system wired in electrical 3 core flex and it sounds spot on. I have also recently wired some fancy kit in a popular high street store who demanded all their sound sytem be wired in the same stuff!

I heard of people using it for home install but was surprised when a commercial retailer, actually spec this!

Are you suggesting that all speaker cable sounds the same?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
soulstyle:Simple as this. You can either fill a toilet with pound notes or plough money into over-priced speaker cable.
So I'm guessing you have a toilet full of pound notes then? Still, since they're not legal tender any more, might as well do something with them...
emotion-4.gif

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gerrardasnails,

Re. my GR10s, apart from movies they're really good with music video DVDs, and hopefully lots of great music video Blu-rays in the future, so definitely not wasted! Thanks for your reply.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hunnyy:
Hi Gerrardasnails,

Re. my GR10s, apart from movies they're really good with music video DVDs, and hopefully lots of great music video Blu-rays in the future, so definitely not wasted! Thanks for your reply.

I would go for Chord Rumour or still better, Odyssey for your front two speakers. The XT cable will be fine for surrounds.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:soulstyle:hunnyy:

Thanks.

Thats exactly what i'm saying
emotion-21.gif

I would love one of the big cable manufactures to do a blind test with two identical systems and ask people which sounded better. Of course this would never happen, because they know joe bloggs wouldnt be able to tell the difference!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
soulstyle:Gerrardasnails:soulstyle:hunnyy:

Thanks.

Thats exactly what i'm saying
emotion-21.gif

I would love one of the big cable manufactures to do a blind test with two identical systems and ask people which sounded better. Of course this would never happen, because they know joe bloggs wouldnt be able to tell the difference!

You obviously have never listened to a system with decent cables then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts