Speaker cable burn in

gasolin

Tried searching for it on whathifi so i am pretty shure theres no such topic

Speaker cable burn in

I have used Van den hul clearwater for a long time (not many years though), needed longer cable so i bought Supra classic 2.5 and the are not as warm(bass),soft (top) as van den hul clearwater

Does speaker cable cange sound like new speakers can do after mabye 100hours or a month or is it just our ears that has gotten used to the "new" sound

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while.
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

abacus

Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference, it's just another con that manufactures use to try and make you buy their cable.

You will also find that if you remove all other cues and just listen to the different cables from £5 - £500 a metre, you will not be able to discern any difference. (In spite of what the manufactures say, it is purely expectation bias if you believe you hear a difference (As any professional audio producer/Technician will tell you)

Hope this helps

Bill

gasolin

abacus said:
Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference, it's just another con that manufactures use to try and make you buy their cable.

You will also find that if you remove all other cues and just listen to the different cables from £5 - £500 a metre, you will not be able to discern any difference. (In spite of what the manufactures say, it is purely expectation bias if you believe you hear a difference (As any professional audio producer/Technician will tell you)

Hope this helps

Bill

So a vintage hifi cable like supra classic 2.5 that has been made for many years will sound the same whether it's a vintage cable or new if it hasn't be changed and theres no corrosion from the vintage cable.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The man from Atlas assued me that using a cable changes the dielectric, this is why cables are somtimes marked directional, and why cables change in sound. He helped develop the Linn Streamers, I somehow feel he is wasted at Atlas! Ill take his word for it and use good Van Damme caable which will reach my speakers, I find that aspect the most important in performance!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
The man from Atlas assued me that using a cable changes the dielectric, this is why cables are somtimes marked directional, and why cables change in sound. He helped develop the Linn Streamers, I somehow feel he is wasted at Atlas! Ill take his word for it and use good Van Damme caable which will reach my speakers, I find that aspect the most important in performance!

To quote Mandy Rice-Davies "He would wouldn't he".

Chris

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
So a vintage hifi cable like supra classic 2.5 that has been made for many years will sound the same whether it's a vintage cable or new if it hasn't be changed and theres no corrosion from the vintage cable.

Yup. As good as new.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
The man from Atlas assued me that using a cable changes the dielectric, this is why cables are somtimes marked directional, and why cables change in sound.

I understand that. What I don't understand is how putting arrows on braided copper wire translates to hundreds or thousands of pounds.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
iQ Speakers said:
The man from Atlas assued me that using a cable changes the dielectric, this is why cables are somtimes marked directional, and why cables change in sound.

I understand that. What I don't understand is how putting arrows on braided copper wire translates to hundreds or thousands of pounds.

It's known in the trade as marketing!

Chris

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Who knows, perhaps using a cable for some time will make a tiny difference electrically but personally I have never sat there listening to a cable burning in or whatever you want to call it ... :)

I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand but the notion of getting used to a sound, whatever change was the cause, is far easier to accept and likely more pronounced.

My 2c's ...

Happy weekend children x

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
The man from Atlas assued me that using a cable changes the dielectric, this is why cables are somtimes marked directional, and why cables change in sound. He helped develop the Linn Streamers, I somehow feel he is wasted at Atlas!

IQ, I have posted before about your speakers, and genuinely wish you well. The UK needs more like you. Please don't be taken in by this magic cable claptrap, contact a proper cable supplier like Canford Audio who supply cables for professional use and speak to their technical department. They will explain just how real burn in and cable directionality is.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
iQ Speakers said:
The man from Atlas assued me that using a cable changes the dielectric, this is why cables are somtimes marked directional, and why cables change in sound. He helped develop the Linn Streamers, I somehow feel he is wasted at Atlas!

IQ, I have posted before about your speakers, and genuinely wish you well. The UK needs more like you. Please don't be taken in by this magic cable claptrap, contact a proper cable supplier like Canford Audio who supply cables for professional use and speak to their technical department. They will explain just how real burn in and cable directionality is.
You really didn't read my post properly did you!! It was with complete sarcasm!!! I run cables that reach my speakers! Van Damme blue around £2-3 if that a meter made them up myself. Bought another two 4M lengths of thick copper cables from EBay even cheaper. Before that I used black and decker mains cable as I moved my system and cables did not reach. Apart from being stiff and bright orange they were fine!!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
30 hours a a rule of thumb, but you'll need more revealing kit and cables to hear it.

The best thing to do is the fire and ice approach - get them cryogenically treated before applying the blowtorch.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
andyjm said:
iQ Speakers said:

You really didn't read my post properly did you!! It was with complete sarcasm!!! I run cables that reach my speakers! Van Damme blue around £2-3 if that a meter made them up myself. Bought another two 4M lengths of thick copper cables from EBay even cheaper. Before that I used black and decker mains cable as I moved my system and cables did not reach. Apart from being stiff and bright orange they were fine!!

Ah. A bit slow on the uptake. Apologies.

TRENDING THREADS