Speaker Audition

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to audition spendor a5/6 to accompany my recently purchased cyrus 8 xpd amp . i like a bright detailed open sound and have about £1700 to spend including cables. Does anyone have any other ideas as to speaker candidates?
Cheers

bill

billyblob said:
I am about to audition spendor a5/6 to accompany my recently purchased cyrus 8 xpd amp . i like a bright detailed open sound and have about £1700 to spend including cables. Does anyone have any other ideas as to speaker candidates?
Cheers

bill

If they have to be floorstanders then certainly worth auditioning Totem Arro. They are one of the best speakers I've heard for pure excitement. Also consider B&W CM range

If standmounted monitors are an option then look at Dynaudio, B&W 805s, and maybe look at MA's new GX range. Heard the GX100s a little while back and they sounded pretty good together (with Cyrus system), although I had no opportunity to compare with other electronics.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You might also like to consider the following speakers:

PMC GB1i
Proac Studio 140 Mk11
Neat Motive 1 / Classic Elite SX
Dynaudio Excite X32
Opera Grande Mezza

IMO. Cyrus + Spendor is a good match.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
French. Focal or Triangle should give you that bright, detailed sound you like. Especially Triangle.

I would worry that Cyrus + Triangle would be migrane inducing.....but I suppose it all depends on the OP's taste.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
So would I, but the man said he likes bright...

The problem is, in 2 months the OP will be back here looking to get his headache releaved. :D

I heard expensive Triangles on the end of VTS amplification, and could hardly sit in the room with them. :(

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Bright isn't necessarily a bad thing though - it's harsh that needs to be avoided.

Billybob - I think you'll find the Spendors a little too smooth to satisfy your needs. Try the PMC GB1i, ProAc Studio 140.2, and you could even try the KEF Q900's if you have enough space for them. They're a little cheaper than the others, but they have their own strengths, one being that they're the most efficient of the three, and will make the most of the power capabilities of the 8xpd. We use Chord Odyssey quite a lot with Cyrus, so do try out the cable with the speaker's you audition if possible.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Altec Model 19's, EV Sentry III's, Klipschorns. All available for under £1700. All detailed with a dynamic wide open sound. They all sound more realistic than slimline Spendors.

Sliced Bread

Another vote for PMC GB1's and CM series from here too.

I've heard both but not with Cyrus and they both seems to have the sound you are looking for.

There are reports of other users, using both with Cyrus and being very satisfied so may be worth an audition.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

As with most suggestions above although not a huge cyrus fan myself but certainly Proac 140mk2 and PMC GB1i models are the best I have heard in the bracket you are talking about and also Audio Vector KI series sound suberb if you can find them.

Strongly advise on listening to all as all very good speakers with different charcteristics ,

Good luck and have fun.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your advice. Will try to get Moorgates to allow me a choice of four to audition - hopefully before the migraine kicks in!! Will report back with findings.

A

Anonymous

I have the same amp as you and have just got a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Babay Grands which are amazing. The Mozart Grands and Haydns are equally amazing and are cheaper (falling nicely into your budget) - Sevenoaks are selling a lot of their ex-dem VAs at reduced prices so you might find a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts