Speaker and Amp choice for movies

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current home cinema room is 15ft by 16ft. I'm looking to upgrade from my current setup which includes Sony SA-VS300H speakers (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-home-cinema-speaker/sa-vs300h) and Harmon Kardon AVR-2550 Amp.

Would something like the Jamo A102 HCS speakers with Onkyo SR-TX606 be a big improvement on the above? or even the Sony DAV-IS10?

Also, would these small speakers fill my fairly large room?

I'm looking to spend a maximum of £500 on the speakers and amp. Look forward to your advice and suggestions!

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

i've also just noticed the Yamaha AV63 cinema package? How would this compare to the Jamo or Sony above?

A

Anonymous

anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? please
emotion-1.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Are you able to get some auditioning in anywhere? I've not heard most of the kit above except for the DAV-IS10 which is a fantastic for the money but I've no idea how it would compare with your existing setup.
I take it you already have a reasonable DVD player? In which case, you'd more likely be better off with the separates system than the DAV-IS10.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Professorhat.

Haven't found a place that will demo the Jamos or Sony IS10 yet but was wondering would these small speakers fill my fairly large room (16ft x 15ft)?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Hmmm, don't know on the Jamos but I think the IS10 might struggle to give you a really big sound in that room. Depends how loud you want it to go really...

I have had the Jamos and they are great. My room is 17 x 12 so a little smaller than yours. The Sonys would struggle in that room. To be honest with you, if you only have £500 for the lot, you won't be let down by the Jamos and at least you can get a receiver and upgrade at a later date. The all in one packages would be a let down at that price and for your size room. An alternative is the Tannoy EFX 5.1 system - this is a nice little package too - not as smart looking as the Jamos and the Jamo sub is amazing considering it's part of a sub £200 package.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions Gerrardsnails.

A little update. I've managed to get a Denon AVR-1908 for a decent price, so can now up the speaker budget to £400. What would you recommend at that price which would be an improvement on the Jamos?

I've been recommended to look at speakers from Canton (german company), has anyone had any speakers from them before?

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
A selection of speaker packages: Kef 2005.2 for £299 Warfedale diamonds 9HCP for £350 Quadlites may still be avaiable in rosewood for £429 Q Acoustics 1010i for £400-500 some come with cable bundles and if you can strectch to £500 then Tannoy Arena Lites for £499. I went for the Quadlites as i like traditional speakers and at that price you get a £500 sub, also you can upgrade easy to larger models in the quad range or add a couple of speakers for 7.1 for around £150.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions lobby!

I'd prefer to go for traditional speakers if they would give me a better sound rather than the kef 2005 or tannoy arena style systems.

Would you go for the Tannoy Mercury Custom F1 5.1, Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP or Q-Acoustics 1010i? The Quad L-ites at over £500 are out of my budget at the moment. I can get these three for £400 or less.

Cheers.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
If you can get the av package containing front and rear speakers centre and sub for under £400 then definetly get the Tannoy Mercury F1, because the cheapest ive seen them for is £595. Next i would go for Q-Acoustics 1010i, but i hope youve got a budget for speaker cables and stands or wall brackets etc. Then last the Wharfedale the cheapest of the three and oldest but still very good may just leave you spare cash for cables and stands if you have no budget for them.

A

Anonymous

This is what i was thinking of doing. Buy the front, rear and center speakers from the Tannoy Custom F1 5.1 seperately for about £230, then add a decent subwoofer (say epos els) for £200, making it the same price as the Q Acoustics 1010i (£440) but with a much better subwoofer. Would you recommend doing this?

I already have stands and cable from my previous setup which should do for now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts