Speaker/Amp specs? + Focal chorus 716v???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone explain, or direct me to a thread on understanding what spec of speaker would be suitable for my amps?

I have two amps, an audiolab 8000s and a 8000p, and want to bi-amp so trying to work out what actual specs my amp will be producing, to help me choose a speaker!

thanks.dave

reggaedave:

Can someone explain, or direct me to a thread on understanding what spec of speaker would be suitable for my amps?

I have two amps, an audiolab 8000s and a 8000p, and want to bi-amp so trying to work out what actual specs my amp will be producing, to help me choose a speaker!

thanks.dave

Dave, are you talking about Wattage, sensitivity and other technical stuff. Or are you meaning synergy-wise? what's the best speaker for your Audiolab?

For stuff look on 'review' and when the speaker you want to check comes up, click 'Spec'.

A

Anonymous

wattage, sensitivity and other technical stuff. i dont understand, and what does not help is i want to bi amp so dont know what, my audiolabs will produce together if you know what i mean.

p.s im struggling with the basics of matching a pair of speakers to one amp, thats how puzzled i honestly am....

dave

A

Anonymous

er website playing up here disapearing info, all i need!!!

A

Anonymous

no its not the website its me

i gave some incorrect information which i asked andrew to remove which he kindly did

sorry about that

A

Anonymous

i tried to reply but it errored on me, ive powered my tweeters from the 8000s, and my bass units from the 8000p. bi amping, is that giving me 100watt output, 8 ohms then?

reggaedave:

thanks.dave

It's easy to get tied down with technical information (why I generally keep away from it), I tend to go for whatever sounds right. The one thing, however, is to consider decibels. This will generally dictate the amounts of volume you can acheive from an amplifier. For example, you would probably have less volume with a 100 watt amp connected to a 84-86db speaker, like a Dynaudio or an ATC speaker than you would from a 50 watt amp and a 91-93db speaker like a Monitor Audio.

Stand mounted speakers generally are lower decibels (harder for an amp to drive) than a floorstander which is usually easier drive; this equates to, again generalising, floorstanders sounding better at low levels.

Then you have to consider the sonic character of your amp eg is it warm sounding, is it thin and bright, detailed and open etc. So your Audiolab, from memory, is quite a punchy amp that requires a fairly neutral/warm sounding speakers. So Spendors and PMC I would avoid, because they are so neutral and may sound a little mechanical or clinical.

Hope this helps, my 'grey matter' is going into meltdown. And maybe some else can expand on this.....

Good luck, PP

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
difficult to say as a quick google doesn't reveal that much useful info about your amps, ie. what is the power output into a 4 ohm load? what is the amps damping factor? what is it's continuous current output? if the power output doubles into a 4 ohm load then it should have a strong power supply, if it has a high damping factor it should be able to "grip" a speaker and produce tight bass. there is a mis-match in power output between your amps (int. 60 watt - power 100 watt) but i have no idea whether in practice this will be an issue. if you can't find any info about it's power output into a 4 ohm load or it's damping factor, i would be tempted to steer clear of speakers that are a difficult load, most dynaudios for instance, and stick to something with a 8 ohm load that doesn't dip to much. sensitivity will depend on how loud you like to listen and the size of your room.

do a bit of research and see if you can come up with some more info about your amps. also, after a hellish couple of days i'm cream crackered and could've got some of the above wrong so feel free to correct, anyone, if i have.

A

Anonymous

One of my shortlisted speakers is goin for a bargain price at the moment any opinions...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3867

A

Anonymous

got a new speaker in mind here, anyone got any opinions on them, are they warm, bright, neutral?

focal chorus 716v

izpuuteejs

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi there!

I had focal Chorus 807V, with NAD C355BE. (see tech. specs in website)

When I turned the amp on ~11'o clock I felt the 807's were overloaded, so I decided to change them to 816V. NAD gives 80W per channel and it is easy to drive 816's (~91db sensivity) at very high volume..!

Anyway at the moment I am thinking about Roksan Kandy K2 amp, which has 2x125W, but it's ok with NAD kit too!

Hope You found something useful from me :)

A

Anonymous

how would you describe their sound, in a few words like.

dave

izpuuteejs

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Big, dynamic sound, realistic midrange-jazz,rock,bass heavy music too sounds great.

In my opinion amp is not the real one for classical music, that's why I am thinking about upgrade,

but in general the speakers are on neutral side without any coloration - great all rounders!

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for info on your speakers, the brand sounds good, i can pick up a pair of FC 716v floorstanders locally for 599, just waiting for a demo.

If you could sell your amp without losing too much money from when you got it i would defo look at picking another amp. Ive had nad kit before i think unless you just listen to hip hop,your a bit limited, if you want more detail and instruments you better look at more expressive kit. Have a look around and see what you fancy. Some people may even suggest a whole new cd player and amp combo, but see how funds allow.

dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts