Speaker Advice - upgrade Wharfedale's

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
I have been slowly upgrading my system with advice from this community. I am now considering upgrading my Wharfedale Diamond 250 speakers. I like them, but a recent upgrade from an integrated amp to parasound pre-amp and amp highlights some deficiencies at least to my ears. System specs below, used only for music. The top end of my budget is $4000 USD. Can I find a good upgrade for that amount?

Parasound P6 pre-amp with A23+ amp
Project X1 table with goldring E3 cartridge
ARCAM ii DAC
Rega MMKiii pre-stage
Wharfedale Diamond 250
SVS SB4000 subwoofer

Gray

The top end of my budget is $4000 USD. Can I find a good upgrade for that amount?
I would jolly well hope so!
You'll get plenty of suggestions, they may not all be available to you. But you've got some decent choices over there no doubt - and what about Canadian brands?
(I've just read a good review of a new Totem standmount).

I know they're a bit of a different proposition, but if I lived in America, I'd have to investigate Magnepan.
Their LRS got a fantastic review in a UK magazine.
Your budget is likely to take you further up their range too.

Last edited:
Grey beat me to it, I was going to mention Totem. Don't know what import tax is like from Canada though.
otherwise best look at home-grown speakers like PSB or for European look at Dali Rubicon 2 or Amphion standmounts

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Revel Performa are also worth investigating - either get rid of the sub and get flooratanders, or keep it and use with the Performa M3 106 - and use the rest of the budget to upgrade cart and dac or whatever. If you have a big room and the Parasound combo isn't too bright, Martin Logan Motion 60xti are awesome. JBL classic 100 are great as well. These last two will also probably render the sub useless.

Of course electrostatics are also well worth considering, but what I don't like about electrostatics is that (from my limited experience) they have a pretty narrow sweet-spot - which, granted, gives glorious results.

DrazenBab

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
If you like Wharfedale's sound signature, at the budget you mentioned it would be well worth-while checking the Elysian. These are their flagships which have so far received outstanding feedback from both the critics and owners alike. And they also look fantastic in those hand-applied real wood veeneer grain-matched cabinets.
They are however large, heavy and imposing, so do make sure there's sufficient space

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
If you like the British sound then you should look at the latest offerings from B&W, Spendor and KEF.
Your budget should get you some classy 'speakers.

matthewpiano

Spendor and Harbeth would be my suggestions. If you want to stick with smaller speakers the A1 and P3ESR are well worth your attention, though in both cases they need to be turned up a bit to give their best.

D

Deleted member 108165

Spendor and Harbeth would be my suggestions. If you want to stick with smaller speakers the A1 and P3ESR are well worth your attention, though in both cases they need to be turned up a bit to give their best.
I've got the P3's and I must say that I disagree with you regarding their low volume performance. They sound excellent at all levels and have no volume sweet spot. With my amp the sound just gets bigger as the volume is increased.

Reactions: matthewpiano

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
When buying speakers how do folks evaluate them since your system specs and room layout will influence the sound? Some of the great speakers listed are also not available in the US or not nearby.

When buying speakers how do folks evaluate them since your system specs and room layout will influence the sound? Some of the great speakers listed are also not available in the US or not nearby.
Ideally, hear as many speakers as you can at various dealers, shows, open evenings, friends, etc. I’m talking pre-Covid, which I realise has had a big impact. Read various reviews, bearing mind the best ones are often free online, such as here at WHF, and closer to home at Stereophile.

Then have them on home demo with your kit, returnable if unsuitable. But you’ll need a good dealer and not expect warehouse prices.

I've got the P3's and I must say that I disagree with you regarding their low volume performance. They sound excellent at all levels and have no volume sweet spot. With my amp the sound just gets bigger as the volume is increased.
To be honest, Doug, how good they are at low volumes is determined by how efficient the speakers are. I agree the P3s are pretty good in that respect, but the PMCs at 8 ohms and 90dbs have the edge.

In addition, if you turn the volume up it should just get louder without much increase in soundstage (or bass).

But going back to the OP's question I would seriously consider Totems. No experience with the OP's amplifiers but Totems seem to work well with most types of amps: People with valve amps have used Totems, and they sounded impressive on my Class A/B Leema. As always a demo is essential.

D

Deleted member 108165

To be honest, Doug, how good they are at low volumes is determined by how efficient the speakers are. I agree the P3s are pretty good in that respect, but the PMCs at 8 ohms and 90dbs have the edge.

In addition, if you turn the volume up it should just get louder without much increase in soundstage (or bass).
Not wishing to hi-jack the thread either, but I appreciate what you say PP. The reason I settled for the P3's was their brilliant abilities at low volume, which is kinda weird as they are the most inefficient speakers I've owned, previous being PMC and MA. I hear what you say about the volume but "Insider" once explained it perfectly as an image that grew in size as opposed to just louder... difficult to explain unless you've actually heard it I guess. Different rooms, different kit, different ears, they all have a role to play in what we hear.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
I have been slowly upgrading my system with advice from this community. I am now considering upgrading my Wharfedale Diamond 250 speakers. I like them, but a recent upgrade from an integrated amp to parasound pre-amp and amp highlights some deficiencies at least to my ears. System specs below, used only for music. The top end of my budget is $4000 USD. Can I find a good upgrade for that amount?

Parasound P6 pre-amp with A23+ amp
Project X1 table with goldring E3 cartridge
ARCAM ii DAC
Rega MMKiii pre-stage
Wharfedale Diamond 250
SVS SB4000 subwoofer
Since you are in the USA, I strongly suggest you buy a domestic brand. You will get much better value than buying European speakers.
Check out Totem and especially Ryan Acoustics. The Ryan's are as good as it gets for a lot less money. If you audition them and don't like them, I will personally send you 20$ Canadian dollars through Paypal. That is how much I believe in them.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Would I be correct in saying that many of today's speakers in my price range are designed more for home theatre multichannel setups and not two channel audio which is what I am looking for?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts