CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you provide more information:

- What is your budget?

- What is the rest of your system?

- What sort of sound do you like?

- What are you going to place the speakers on / how far apart will they be?

- What size of room will they be in?

- Are you prepared to get some isolation to go under the speakers if necessary?

- Will you be demoing.....preferably in situ?

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply .. kinda new to this

I have just bought a Yamaha R-N602 Amp this is replacing my 18 year old Cyrus Pre/Power and Kef Reference Two, as needs must..

The room is 4x3m, the speakers will be nearly 4m apart going into the corners, placed on hardwood cabinets !!!

I have a decent budget when I sell the Cyrus/Kef as I will be also looking at a better amp solution later, possibly Cyrus again

I think auditioning in a store will be a bit moot as they are not likely to sound the same when at home !!

I want to look long term as I will be able at some point be able to use stands again and position more favourably

Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Whatever speakers you buy, you should get somthing like Auralex Speaker Dudes to isolate them

The best budget speakers for my taste have been the Q Acoustics Concept 20s.

If you like a cleaner sound, maybe look at Tannoy and Triangle.

CnoEvil said:
Whatever speakers you buy, you should get somthing like Auralex Speaker Dudes to isolate them

The best budget speakers for my taste have been the Q Acoustics Concept 20s.

If you like a cleaner sound, maybe look at Tannoy and Triangle.

Good point about the Auralex for now from chebby.

The question regards budget remains unanswered though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:

IMO. The amp dictates, to some extent, the speakers that are sensible to use.

Ps. Chebby hasn't replied to this thread. *wink*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:

IMO. The amp dictates, to some extent, the speakers that are sensible to use.

Ps. Chebby hasn't replied to this thread. *wink*

My apologies Cno, I might blame autocorrect but can't in all honesty. Simple brain failure on my part.. ;-)

You have placed me in very erudite company....so happy enough.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Neat Iotas

Perfect for bookshelves (mine are on thick glass shelves with rubber feet close to a wall). 4m, x 4m room vistorian high ceiling. Fill the room with sound, Very discrete also. Sometimes you can get slight cosmetic seconds from Creative Audio for £450 (mine were and can't find a mark on them). Don't be fooled by their size - they far outperform any other larger speakers

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
EB acoustics eb2s.you get a 30 day trial and they sound amazing.they are closed cabinet design and can go close to the wall but they are large
:)
I loved them so much I sent them back :)
Oh, how come? Not to your taste?
no they are definitely my taste.just amazing for the price.i was getting fatigue after about an hour of listening.maybe they were to large or bad system matching.i was sitting about 2.80 meters from them and they needed power to get the best out of them.they had great precision and detail.maybe a little to much :-(

insider9

seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
EB acoustics eb2s.you get a 30 day trial and they sound amazing.they are closed cabinet design and can go close to the wall but they are large
:)
I loved them so much I sent them back :)
Oh, how come? Not to your taste?
no they are definitely my taste.just amazing for the price.i was getting fatigue after about an hour of listening.maybe they were to large or bad system matching.i was sitting about 2.80 meters from them and they needed power to get the best out of them.they had great precision and detail.maybe a little to much :-(
Ok, best pick this up in another thread.

Sorry, OP for slightly derailing your thread. Hope it goes back on track from here.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Good calls by many here. I am still intrigued to hear the OPs budget before I recommend any.

The OP has a Yamaha R-N602 Amp.....this to some degree will determin the budget for the speakers.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all so far

Budget will be determined from the sale of my Cyrus/Kef set up.. around £800

The amp I appreciate is not the last word perhaps, I will upgrade at some point if I can find a one box solution that is as versatile as the Yamaha..

Very much the question in point is I bought Concept 20's with stand's at the time I bought the amp, very impressed, I only thought the vocals were perhaps a bit veiled but sounded the best out of all I heard, Dali,Monitor Audio + Few Others I really liked B&W 685's but are a bit too big..

However on getting the QA home they just did not sound right at all.. a lot of twiddling with position did help but I ended up creating a rather small sweet spot..

Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You could try the Kef LS50s, which in some ways are like Turbo Charged Concept 20s....again it could be hit and miss, with your amp in your room. There is also the Kef R100s, which are not as clean and revealing as the LS50s, but are very good in their own right.

Other speakers to consider could be from ATC and Focal....both neutral and revealing speakers, with ATC being sealed, so easier to place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts