Speaker Advice Please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
The local superfi did steer me to these when i spoke of my dilemna, I did listen to Focal at another dealer again sounded great but again according to their PR both require decent positioning, it seems the NEAT and Ophidian really are not fussy, I do think its going to be a suck it and see..

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
But if I was you, I'd get down the jewellery quarter and see David. I listened to the various Ophidians at the Northern HiFi show (in Crewe?) last year and was impressed.

The other item I heard and was impressed with at the same show were the Kralk BC30s. Difficult to demo though (Wakefield). Interesting that they suggest using the speakers on their own against a wall, or using their integrated stand/bass unit when free-standing. I took a walk between the speakers, because I could not believe something so small was making such a thump. I was fooled into thinking they must have been using the larger units behind the set that were playing.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks JMJ :)

Hifi Knutt is quite welcome to arrange an audition and take them home to try out in his room.

I will be seeing a rep from the distributor for Neat some time in the next few weeks, as the Iota models are just the sort of speaker that fits what I'm trying to cater for.

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
Good calls by many here. I am still intrigued to hear the OPs budget before I recommend any.

The OP has a Yamaha R-N602 Amp.....this to some degree will determin the budget for the speakers.

Apparently not.... ;-)

However for that money, required placement position, and as long as not wanting disco sound levels I might suggest the ATC scm7's or even Triangle Esprit Heyda EZ

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hifi Knutt said:
Thanks all for some sterling advice, it was certainly what I was looking for, with the Neat and Ophidian looking great (on paper at least)

These brands hadn't even shown up on my radar at all..

Id give little audio company a call and arrange a demo.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend speakers with adjustable LF/HF. Putting different kinds of de/coupling solutions wont provide full solution in attenuating excess LF.

Back in the days both active and passive speakers had HF/LF attenuation. Now it seems only actives do.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'd recommend speakers with adjustable LF/HF. Putting different kinds of de/coupling solutions wont provide full solution in attenuating excess LF.

Back in the days both active and passive speakers had HF/LF attenuation. Now it seems only actives do.

Hi Vlad, good to see you're back. It's been a little quiet here these past few months (one heated debate or another notwithstanding). We count on you to help spice things up a little! (And to help clueless forumites too, of course)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

Hi Vlad, good to see you're back. It's been a little quiet here these past few months (one heated debate or another notwithstanding). We count on you to help spice things up a little! (And to help clueless forumites too, of course)

Thank you. I'm reading couple of past threads to catch up. You guys had bake offs! *clapping*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

Thank you. I'm reading couple of past threads to catch up. You guys had bake offs! *clapping*

The bake offs were very much fun and educational but only added 10% to the forum posts.

The other 90% fun and games came from the aftermath on the forums. Very funny stuff. Some peoples tensions ran high.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

Thank you. I'm reading couple of past threads to catch up. You guys had bake offs! *clapping*

The bake offs were very much fun and educational but only added 10% to the forum posts.

The other 90% fun and games came from the aftermath on the forums. Very funny stuff. Some peoples tensions ran high.

Big surprise that. *pleasantry*

I just want to say I really enjoyed reading the technical bits and the final anecdotes. Great contributions by DDC, HG and LindsayT. For couple of months this became an actual audio forum. Go figure.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

Thank you. I'm reading couple of past threads to catch up. You guys had bake offs! *clapping*

Big surprise that. *pleasantry*

I just want to say I really enjoyed reading the technical bits and the final anecdotes. Great contributions by DDC, HG and LindsayT. For couple of months this became an actual audio forum. Go figure.

The actual bake offs are great. Really fun and totally relaxed. Did you read the one at my house with my hegel/atc, ipv's dm10s/bk sub and Lindsay's massive jbl's (cant remeber the name)

What a fun afternoon/evening and made some friends also. I'd really encourage people on here to try and get together and compare systems. Just dont take any comments personal.

Some of the comments after make for a good book.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

The actual bake offs are great. Really fun and totally relaxed. Did you read the one at my house with my hegel/atc, ipv's dm10s/bk sub and Lindsay's massive jbl's (cant remeber the name)

What a fun afternoon/evening and made some friends also. I'd really encourage people on here to try and get together and compare systems. Just dont take any comments personal.

Yup. I read both bake offs. Did Rick@Musicraft survive the heavy trauma and PTSD? *lol*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

Yup. I read both bake offs. Did Rick@Musicraft survive the heavy trauma and PTSD? *lol* 

The reason i ditched the hegel and so glad i did.
So glad im free with all that **** now.
poor hegel though

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

Yup. I read both bake offs. Did Rick@Musicraft survive the heavy trauma and PTSD? *lol*

The reason i ditched the hegel and so glad i did. So glad im free with all that **** now. poor hegel though

Good man. *ok*

Music doesn't need a Hegel or Nordost to make you feel it. These are just toys for grownup boys.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
DocG said:
Vladimir said:

Yup. I read both bake offs. Did Rick@Musicraft survive the heavy trauma and PTSD? *lol* 

The reason i ditched the hegel and so glad i did. So glad im free with all that **** now. poor hegel though

Good man. *ok*

Music doesn't need a Hegel or Nordost to make you feel it. These are just toys for grownup boys.

So right as ive found out.

And there are plenty of different toys to play with also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts