Soundstage challenge

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Like I said earlier not best set up and maybe trying too hard to place plus it doesn't sound to me constant but either way seems we are getting some placement

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ok, I've got.

Synths in intro in line with speakers. Vocals in background and slightly higher than the rest with the guitar picked in front of it though lower.

When toms come in on both sides they're most forward of all instruments. Snare drum is central and back. These give a rather nice contour to soundstage. Main guitar riff is in left channel quite forward but behind were the toms were. Reverb from the guitar is stretching through the centre all the way to the right. Bass is behind the guitar and lower than both the guitar and vocals. Backing vocals are furthest into the mix off centre to the right. Main vocal is the highest and bass drum the lowest with bass guitar nicely filling in above that.

What did you get Gaz?

I can't say I can accurately place anything, as soon as I think I've got something pinpointed it appears somewhere else.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Try a bit of Gaucho *good*

A fantastic album with a top notch dynamic recording quality !

And plenty of 3Dness *yes3*

https://open.spotify.com/album/5OtaRmEFDEDWIwxpqOgf03

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
Leif said:
I do wish that equipment reviews would present the sort of information given above. Knowing the frequency response and square wave reproduction does tell you something very useful albeit not the complete picture e.g. is there an enhanced bass, and high resolution, or a sudden treble drop off and a muddiness. So much of this audio world is flim flam, and smoke and mirrors with claims and counter claims rife.

This is how UK hifi reviews were done back in the 70's. Download PDF scans from my Google Drive* You can see the graphs are included, no subjective reviewer talk at all.

*Courtesy of Hyperion, member at Audiokarma.
Crumbs, that takes me back, Vlad. I had all those HiFi Choice books, when they reviewed a huge number of products and published about quarterly. Martin Colloms did many reviews. The square wave performance was one highlight of the Harman/kardon amps I used to favour, and owned. It shows a lot, if you use the 10kHz you showed and, say, 40Hz. Most Bristish amp were very weedy!

BTW

Download this Marantz brochure from 1975 and tell me how many classical instruments, beautiful living spaces, concert halls and hot female models in Peter Dinklage sized dresses are in it.

How times are changing...

Vladimir said:
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
Leif said:
I do wish that equipment reviews would present the sort of information given above. Knowing the frequency response and square wave reproduction does tell you something very useful albeit not the complete picture e.g. is there an enhanced bass, and high resolution, or a sudden treble drop off and a muddiness. So much of this audio world is flim flam, and smoke and mirrors with claims and counter claims rife.

This is how UK hifi reviews were done back in the 70's. Download PDF scans from my Google Drive* You can see the graphs are included, no subjective reviewer talk at all.

*Courtesy of Hyperion, member at Audiokarma.
Crumbs, that takes me back, Vlad. I had all those HiFi Choice books, when they reviewed a huge number of products and published about quarterly. Martin Colloms did many reviews. The square wave performance was one highlight of the Harman/kardon amps I used to favour, and owned. It shows a lot, if you use the 10kHz you showed and, say, 40Hz. Most Bristish amp were very weedy!

BTW

Download this Marantz brochure from 1975 and tell me how many classical instruments, beautiful living spaces, concert halls and hot female models in Peter Dinklage sized dresses are in it.

How times are changing...
That really does show up today's marketing. That was the stuff I grew up on, so still expect some decent specs and engineering.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Try a bit of Gaucho *good*

A fantastic album with a top notch dynamic recording quality !

And plenty of 3Dness *yes3*

https://open.spotify.com/album/5OtaRmEFDEDWIwxpqOgf03

'Two against nature' is a later album, but sounds fabulous too!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This cut from a 1960 Packard Bell stereo demonstration record clearly demonstrates what true stereo sounds like, something very few people alive have every really heard! Enjoy this Steve Allen narrated stereo experience!

Listen

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Inspired by commennts in another thread I'm carrying out an experiment on perception of 3D soundstage.

I'd like everbody to listen to Money for Nothing by Dire Straits and post where they perceive the position of the bass guitar in relation to the other instruments. For example- to the left of and in front of the drummer.

Lets do it.........
the bass guitar is coming from my left speaker just above the drums then lead guitar right speaker

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:
Inspired by commennts in another thread I'm carrying out an experiment on perception of 3D soundstage.

I'd like everbody to listen to Money for Nothing by Dire Straits and post where they perceive the position of the bass guitar in relation to the other instruments. For example- to the left of and in front of the drummer.

Lets do it.........
the bass guitar is coming from my left speaker just above the drums then lead guitar right speaker

Just an observation BS, but surely none of the sound should be perceivable as coming from either speaker if you have created a soundstage?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

Lets do it.........

Just an observation BS, but surely none of the sound should be perceivable as coming from either speaker if you have created a soundstage?
the question was were can you hear the bass guitar on the song money for nothing I've just give a answer *smile* yes you get sound from both speakers but normally you can tell where instruments are placed in a song well I can anyway .

i think it's how well your speakers can project sound in a sound field as your speakers can trick your brain to think the band is spread out were your speakers are that's the best way I can explain it

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gaz37 said:

Lets do it.........

the question was were can you hear the bass guitar on the song money for nothing I've just give a answer *smile* yes you get sound from both speakers but normally you can tell where instruments are placed in a song well I can anyway .

i think it's how well your speakers can project sound in a sound field as your speakers can trick your brain to think the band is spread out were your speakers are that's the best way I can explain it

Stereophonic sound...d...d...dance music. I get stereo, just not hearing it come from my speakers. Sorry, ignore me.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Money for nothing:

Starting from 2:00: Bass seems to be in the middle, possibly slightly to the left. The distorted guitar is clearly to the left (later on it seems to come from both speakers). Strangely it seems as if the bass is placed lower than the drums, which appear slightly more to the back. This may easily be an illusion, though. The vocals make it harder to distinguish the accompanying instruments. The drums also sound from different places (depending on the drum?).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts