Soundbar Technical question

kalonji

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

First time opting for a sound bar, I have a pretty decent hifi in the living room but want one in the bedroom where I play the ps4 and play music, i've managed to get it down to 2 options (Sony) amongst an ocean of confusion and lack of clarity (well done industry, you succeeded!) to the 2 listed below.

My questions is; From a technical standpoint which of the 2 should have better quality sound, it seems like the Sony HTCT370 has only one speaker on the soundbar? It's new on the market and I can't find much info that says otherwise. From a looks point of view I prefer the more expensive slimmer HT-ST3 soundbar but being as slim as it is I would imagine mid range to be compromised possibly when played a little louder? It does however have 11 speakers?!

I'm far from an audiophile but can you see any defining qualities which would ensure better sound from one over the other?

Sony HT-ST3 £429

Sony HTCT370 £349.95

Any help you could offer up would be huugely appreciated as I've reached an impass on the subject in my own novice mind!

Thanks all, Kalonji :)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If you're actually used to a "pretty decent hifi" rather than Joe Public who's used to flatscreen TV sound then I'd strongly recommend listening to ANY soundbars before you hand over any cash. Personally, I think you'll be pretty disappointed with any of the above models. But some people think soundbars are great (probably Joe Public types as described above). I was tempted too until I heard one (one of the 'best' according to WHF).

Don't say you weren't warned.

kalonji

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! Why Sony? Well I have a Sony TV but i'm not really fussed by the make, I just liked the slim profile one.

The Yamaha seems really good from all the reviews, i'm just not a big fan of the design so I don't think i'd go for that one. Seems to me as though theres not too much difference between the soundbars in the £300-£600 range in terms of sound quality?

I'm considering a surround sound, again within the same budget, would I be wasting my time with that amount to spend?

kalonji

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'll defo look into these! I must admit i'm drawn to the soundbars, it would look good with my setup, I just don't feel that i'll be getting my money's worth with regards to sound quality.

Reviews seem to mislead and confuse me, any glowing references for any other than the yamaha?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
kalonji said:
I'll defo look into these! I must admit i'm drawn to the soundbars, it would look good with my setup, I just don't feel that i'll be getting my money's worth with regards to sound quality.

Reviews seem to mislead and confuse me, any glowing references for any other than the yamaha?

stop moaning about sound quality from a soundbar. they are never as good as proper 2.1 ot higher audio. (unless you pay hundreds of pounds more than a 2.1 costs) either get a bigger budget for a better soundbar or put up with the mediocre sound from a soundbar. also surround sound is basically non existant on a bar,

if i was to purchase a decent soundbar i would choose from the following:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13776-yamaha-ysp1400-digital-sound-projector.aspx

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/sony/htst7/sony-htst7

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/yamaha/ysp2200/yama-ysp2200-blk

kalonji

May 19, 2014
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
kalonji said:

stop moaning about sound quality from a soundbar. they are never as good as proper 2.1 ot higher audio. (unless you pay hundreds of pounds more than a 2.1 costs) either get a bigger budget for a better soundbar or put up with the mediocre sound from a soundbar. also surround sound is basically non existant on a bar,

if i was to purchase a decent soundbar i would choose from the following:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13776-yamaha-ysp1400-digital-sound-projector.aspx

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/sony/htst7/sony-htst7

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/yamaha/ysp2200/yama-ysp2200-blk

Haha I'll try my best! With the ongoing research i'm looking at different ones all the time at the minute, the ysp2200 looks really good although no wireless music compatibility without buying additional parts unfortunately.

I'm going to have a good look at a few things, liked the idea of possibly going for better sound quality through individual speakers, possibly an amp too, although this is another realm of sound technology that from a tecnhidcal point, eludes me.

I shall return hopefully more clued up on the subject for some advice! Thanks for your help so far all :)

kalonji

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I have made a decision! Barring a question or 2 which if you kind people can help me with, will give me the belief that I have what I am looking for.

I am leading towards the controversial sonos playbar, which isnt without its faults or limitations, far from it in fact. Though it is a pretty decent sounding sound bar and shines brighter when playing music, kind of perfect for my situation!

My question is, being that this soundbar only has an optical in, meaning of course that all inputs (ps4, bluray etc) must go through the t.v first, will it convert DTS and/or dolby surround sound to the playbar given that the settings for my tv's optical output is stated as follows:

- Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM, Dolby digital)

This is the deal breaker for me, if I know it will transfer the sound channels as some tv's should, I will go for this one, warts and all.

Thanks for your patience with me friends! :bounce:

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Marsbardark said:
Noooooooooo! :wall:

Get the yamaha 2200, it's miles better sounding and has all the connections you need for your kit. Check out the reviews on this site.

the same provisos apply to the Yammy. please do listen to one of these before you purchase it. I've heard one and honestly can't see how it's managed to attract such good reviews. If somebody still thinks it's great after listening to one, by all means go ahead. I couldn't help noticing though that some of your excitement about soundbars revolve around how it will LOOK in your set-up. This is how soundbars seduce their way into people's homes.

If it was my money and I didn't want my lounge full of large boxes (i.e a full surround system) I'd go for active speakers or a budget stereo integrated and speakers. It's not my money of course so it's your decision, but just make sure you actually compare the SOUND of these products in a demonstration first. Sorry if this isn't the "yeh go ahead you have to buy one of those" response you may have preferred to hear, but you did ask, on a forum, so I'm compelled to share my own experience.

The Yammy 2200's price tag could get you quite a decent stereo amp & speakers and would sound soooooo much better!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
You can get far superior sound, and features for the price:

http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals

indeed. The Yammy / MASS packages are pretty decent value, and a sub/sat system like this won't take up much real estate in the lounge. Stereo TV sources will still sound compromised and you'd really have to play music through all channels, so the OP's decision may need to be influenced by how much the system will be used for TV / music / movies etc.

kalonji

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Lots for me to think about here, thanks for the input all!

I'd say equal parts music/TV/Gaming, not sure what difference this would make, value for money seems to lean towards the 5.1 kits, will look into them today for sure. I must admit I am allured to the asthetics of the soundbars (shameful, I know) although quality is just if not more important to me.

I'll have a research on some of the options and idea's you have all bought forth :type:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts