sound v style. HELP!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
when I was bitten by the av bug in 2000 I picked up 2 pairs of B&W dm602 speakers second hand,bought a matching centre and we have been blissfully happy together ever since.Now for reasons we wont go into I find myself having to go for a so called syle package to replace these.Is there anything out there in av land that can match the performance of my big B&W's or has my world just ended? TH50PZ80,DENON AVR 1909,PANNASONIC DMPBD55 (no sub) my budget £500-£1000

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
B&W M1? I can see the style
emotion-5.gif
and in 5.1 setup they're very good.. not sure about stereo..

A

Anonymous

sjared10:when I was bitten by the av bug in 2000 I picked up 2 pairs of B&W dm602 speakers second hand,bought a matching centre and we have been blissfully happy together ever since.Now for reasons we wont go into I find myself having to go for a so called syle package to replace these.Is there anything out there in av land that can match the performance of my big B&W's or has my world just ended? TH50PZ80,DENON AVR 1909,PANNASONIC DMPBD55 (no sub) my budget £500-£1000

Hmmm sounds familiar. I had some 602's, then went up to big Sonus Fabers now I've moved and had to get a wall mounted style system.
The norm are small satelites and sub, B&W M1, Q-acoustics, Monitor Audio, etc. I knew they would be a serious downgrade so opted to go up in budget and size, the B&W FPM range with a P1 sub. Now this lot isn't cheap, better than smaller sub/sat's but still the 602's would possibly beat it musically, let alone my SF's.
I must admit I was a bit dissapointed with the sound at demo, as the SF's were awesome, but them's the breaks, I don't think there's any sub/sat system that is as good musically as a good hi-fi speaker. Compromise isn't always a good thing! I miss big speakers.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=802

On a positive note I'm happy with the sound when watching blu-rays, etc.

Maybe go with smaller stand mounters and add a sub??

R

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
sjared10:when I was bitten by the av bug in 2000 I picked up 2 pairs of B&W dm602 speakers second hand,bought a matching centre and we have been blissfully happy together ever since.Now for reasons we wont go into I find myself having to go for a so called syle package to replace these.Is there anything out there in av land that can match the performance of my big B&W's or has my world just ended? TH50PZ80,DENON AVR 1909,PANNASONIC DMPBD55 (no sub) my budget £500-£1000

Have you got a sub?

If you can push the budget, I can recomment the B&W MT30, I believe you can find it with a bit of a hunt for around £1150/£1200.

If you already have a sub, the M1 speakers from the MT package can be purchased separately, but the PV1 sub is awesome and should definitely be checked out.

A

Anonymous

cheers for the insight,with regards to the sub I never really thought i needed one with the big 602s but now the powers that be say they take up too much room they will have to go. didn't really want to spend £1500 but if that what it takes to get anywhere near big speakers then so be it. thanks hi_fi nut..... I know i'm going to miss big speakers too! Any more suggestions will be greatfull appreciated.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You said you had 2 pairs of 602s. Can't you just keep 1 pair for the fronts and get small satellites for the back? Or have you been ordered to get rid of all of them?

;-)

The new 685s are a fair bit smaller than the 602s were. Perhaps you could get 685s for the fronts and M1s for all the others?

You should still be able to make some money off your 602s on eBay. (2nd hand in 2000, I'm guessing they're S2s right?)

A

Anonymous

S2s correct. however working on a compromise to keep a pair just for music. (seperate system) then get a sub sat system for the bluray

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Is your stereo in the same room?

If yes it's a shame that you didn't go for Denon 2309 (have preouts), you could then plugin your stereo amp as preamp and use the front speakers for both stereo and movies..

I've demoed few systems and I think small speakers are good for movies but not for stereo.. so work hard to leave the two speakers for you stereo
emotion-5.gif

Another 5.1 package worth looking at is KEF KHT3000

A

Anonymous

yes its a pity about my denon not having preouts its a problem i did not contemplate but my 602s can now sit in the corners of the the room just have to audition a stereo amp. will now begin search for subsat system

TRENDING THREADS