Sound problem (one speaker) - help please?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

Hi all,

In a quest to aid my mum - I am hoping someone can help please?!

She has a Denon PMA6.5, or 6.1 (from memory), although having had a quick look on eBay it might be a Denon F88 seperates system. She has some B&W speakers attached to this and loves it...

It has this annoying intermittent issue where the right speakers sound will disappear completely, however if you turn the volume up or down a little, hey presto, the sound returns.

I've tried switching around the speakers to diagnose if this is a speker fault, however it just happens on the other speaker so is probably an issue with the amp.

Does anyone know if this could be a simple fix, i.e. I could do it for her following a youtube video etc. ,more complex than this and it needs to go to a hifi repair shop, or if this is now ready for the bin?

Any help and responses appreciated. Thanks all :)

D

Deleted member 160668

to add to my post. When I switched the speakers around this was from the banana plugs in the back of the amp, so I can also discount an issue with the speaker wire being damaged/faulty etc.

Thanks,

TrevC

amormusic said:
to add to my post. When I switched the speakers around this was from the banana plugs in the back of the amp, so I can also discount an issue with the speaker wire being damaged/faulty etc.

Thanks,

Could be a number of things. Noisy switch or speaker relay, dry joint etc. Does the sound come back if you give it a thump?

D

Deleted member 160668

not tried giving it thump. but can do this and report back...

If it has a normal rotary volume control, I'd suggest this. Switch the set off. Rapidly rotate the volume control up and down as many times as your fingers can manage, say for a minute.

Then switch on at zero volume, and increase slowly. Has that helped? If so, the volume control is dirty. It may have solved it, or the part may still need cleaning at a workshop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts