sound for 5x5m room (2 speakers, mainly from internet)

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I moved to new place and i need a simple sound system for music (mainly google play - but i can switch to spotify, or from PC/NAS). At the beginning i though about active studio monitors, but later i read that these are good for near-field listening (not filling a room).

So i have a few solutions,

1. simple mini-hifi + phone/tablet/rasperry pi (volumio os + some custom DAC) for multimedia station

2. speakers + amplifier + (again) phone/tablet/rasperry p

3. networked mini-hifi like Denon Ceol Piccolo, Marantz MCR510 or MCR610 (Marantzs don't have BT)

4. wireless solution: Sonos, HEOS etc.

5. PC speakers (creative, logitech) + tablet/phone/pc, example: http://uk.creative.com/p/speakers/gigaworks-t3

Solution 3 looks clean and lean, but i heard that Marantz phone app is 'worst app in the world', i don't know anything about Denon Android App, but there is a risk, that apps are not polished enough (and no one wants to finished them).

Solution 1 and 2: more 'fun' with wiring everything together :) phone/control app and os on raspberry pi frequently updated, more polished/refined. i can use some raspberry pi based DACs as https://www.hifiberry.com/product/hifiberry-dac-bundle-raspberry-pi-2-transparent-case/ etc.

Solution 2: amplifier could have no bluetooth https://www.hifiberry.com/ampplus/ (max 25Wx2, i think it's enough for a not to big room?)

solution 4: quite expensive, 2x sonos play:1 - if a bass is to small, SUB costs 599£ ! or 2x play:3 - 400-500£

solution 5: is the quality of a such solution good? does a DAC from tablet/phone perform good ?

other solutions: Onkyo CS-N765 - more expensive, need to buy additional Bluetooth support (in the future)

What do you think?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
razorjack said:
At the beginning i though about active studio monitors, but later i read that these are good for near-field listening (not filling a room).

Active studio monitors work fine for filling a room. I've just switched from a hifi speaker setup to active monitors in my living room and I'm loving it. Active monitors may have other issues (connectivity, aesthetics) but also have advantages (sound quality for the price, bass management).

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
looks interesting

but why there is literally NO ANY information on all this fancy/startup good looking web pages, do i need amplifier? etc.

anyway, i need an amp and speakers, could be as mini-hifi, as studio active speakers, as speakers separetly and amp separetly (i prefer small devices). i guess 40W is a max i need. any recommendations ?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Solution 5 forget unless you are sitting at computer even then there are much better solutions.

Certainly active speakers could be the answer, just stream into them, some have DACs. I would look for some used AVI 9s (have amps and dacs), a few around for £400-£750 depending on the version, no problem filling a room, 250W amps. Some small actives maybe only good for near field. They have amps and dacs inside the speakers so all you need a way to stream music to them.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It is totally misleading marketing hyperbole to say that the AVI 9's have 250W amps without adding the proviso that this is into 4 ohms with the briefest of transients. Into 8 ohms continuous they are more like 70 watts. Continuous into 8 ohms is the de facto standard for specifying quality amplifier power.

I am deeply suspicious of anyone making misleading statements like this 250W power specification. Why make such a misleading statement? Why not give their 8 ohm continuous rating instead of, or as well as the peak 4 ohm rating?

Coming back to the OP. Are you looking for some lifestyle speakers, or are you looking for the best sound quality for your budget, or are you looking for speaker that are semi-lifestyle and will sound half decent in your pleasantly spacious room?

rainsoothe

Hi. Depending on your budget, I would look at NAS if you wanna store your music. Some NAS' work with some DACs - for instance, if it's in the compatibility list, you could use a Synology DS 212+ (or a laptop, if it's not compatible) into an Audiolab M-Dac, which in turn can act as a pre-amp into a pair of Yamaha HS7 (or even HS5) studio monitors. Or Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 with upgrades + a pair of Adam A7X (or A5X) studio monitors. That would be my option if sound quality was my only concern (I also like the utilitarian looks of studio monitors). For cheaper, you could just use a laptop into Behringer UCA202, and use the volume control in the media player + monitors of choice between (price ascending) Presonus Eris 5, Yamaha HS5 or HS7, Adam A5X or A7X.

2. For mini hi-fi sollution, Marantz MCR 610 (or the fresh 611) + a pair of Dali Zensor 3 make for a very attractive proposition. It's all clean, and should sound very nice.

3. For separates, you should look into Onkyo C-N7050 (which is a CD player with streaming capabilities - no DAC though) + Denon PMA 720AE + Q Acoustics 3020 or Concept 20. Or, higher up the pricerange, Pioneer N50-A (streamer with DAC) + Arcam A19 + Focal Aria 906 or B&W 685 S2 if you like a more energetic and sharper presentation.

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
after thinking more, i'll stick to Gramofon/Rasberry Pi + DAC and then i need only an amp+speakers or mini-hifi

i'll use NAS (or other DLNA server) and of course stream music from Spotify/Google Play

so then, i don't need fancy marantz (with some network support) :) can you give an example of a mini-hifi or amp+speakers up to 400£ together?

for speakers i'm looking here http://www.whathifi.com/products/hi-fi/hi-fi-speakers?f[2]=WHF.retail_price_f%3A%5B101%20TO%20200%5D&sortby=WHF.is_field_rating_l_desc

these looks very good

http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/2020i/review

http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

and the amp?

http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/airstream-a100/review

(its now for 200£, but was tested and compared to amps in 400£ budget)

rainsoothe

do you need a streaming capable amp if you get the raspberry pi thingie? I mean if you get that + DAC, then just get a Denon PMA 520 or 720 AE + a pair of q acoustics 3020 or 2020i. Although active studio monitors will yield waaaaay better sound.

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
do you really think that active will be better? i'm reading about these yamahas and everywhere is an info that they are near-field - it means that i should put them on my desk? and i want monitors to put them in corners of my room. i'm asking because i'd never used and listened to that kind of speakers.

i though about Musical fidelity X-A1 , someone is selling that amp, close to my place for 200 quids. i guess it's quite good amp ? (and i like that nonstandard shape :) ) + q acustics 2020i (or something similar)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Nearfield just means the drive units are close enough together that when listening up close the sound isn't obviously coming from 2 or more drivers, as long as they have the power they'll fill a larger space.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Craig M. said:
Nearfield just means the drive units are close enough together that when listening up close the sound isn't obviously coming from 2 or more drivers, as long as they have the power they'll fill a larger space.

This.

Every hi fi speaker I've owned has also sounded better nearfield, especially when my room wasn't big enough to allow me to spread them far enough apart to get a fully enveloping soundfield.

I also have 3 sets of active speakers, two of which (Adam A7X and Genelec 8020C) are called near and mid field monitors that sound great in my living room where I'm 3-4 metres away. The other set of actives don't specify only nearfield, but they have a bet each way with the manufacturer calling them studio monitors while mainly selling them as better speakers for your computer or for iliving room appplications like improving sound from your TV.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I suppose it must be coincidence that the these near field monitors sound like they are shouting to be heard in a large room then?

Instead of having the room filling authority of far field speakers in such a room?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had a XA2 amp, and thought it was wonderful. Wish I'd kept it even though I now have active speakers.

I would say £200 seems a lot for such an old amp. I sold my XA2 for less than that 5 years ago.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I suppose it must be coincidence that the these near field monitors sound like they are shouting to be heard in a large room then?

Instead of having the room filling authority of far field speakers in such a room?

irrespective of whether passive or active, the suitable size speaker/driver and sufficient amplification for the speakers taking into account room size and speaker sensitivity is essential. I use Genelec 8020c in a 4 by 5 metre living room with lowish ceilings. I think they'd struggle to fill a larger space. Then again I don't expect life size dynamics and impact from such tiny enclosures and drivers.

they lose a bit in terms of scale compared to my B&W 685 but are far better in other areas and don't overwhelm my room. Better than my DB1i too. I'd be interested to know the specific differences between the studio monitor version of the DB1i and the living room "far field " version.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
... Better than my DB1i too. I'd be interested to know the specific differences between the studio monitor version of the DB1i and the living room "far field " version.

PMC say that both the DB1's are totally identical apart from the studio version has a tough black vaneer where the domestic has a pretty wood vaneer and the studio version has an amplifier pack attatched to the back of the speaker where the domestic version you need to use your own amplifier.

PMC also say that all of their speakers that have both domestic and sutdio monitor versions available are identical apart from the vaneers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think you are reading about one speaker and generalising about actives. Really the actives I have heard are not more directional than passives, if anything there are less. As for putting speakers in the corners of a 5m x 5m room I think you need to rethink that, speakers are generally best away from corners and closer together say 3m apart and you 3m away.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think you are reading about one speaker and generalising about actives. Really the actives I have heard are not more directional than passives, if anything there are less. As for putting speakers in the corners of a 5m x 5m room I think you need to rethink that, speakers are generally best away from corners and closer together say 3m apart and you 3m away.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You really need to go listen to the speakers. Ideally even audition them in your room. Active monitors, like all speakers, are voiced differently and sound different from brand to brand. Just because I love the Adam sound and think the F5 are the best doesn't mean you'll love it. Some people just don't get on with the ribbon tweeters Adam uses. Depending on the volume, etc. you want, they may just be a bit small for that room. The HS7 would certainly do a better job of filling the room. Personally not a fan of KRK, but you may like their sound.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Think you are confused not all actives are studio monitors and not all studio monitors are designed for close listening, yes some of the small ones are used like that. Some companies like PMC do some passive and active versions of their speakers. Again some actives use wooden cabinets.

"if i'm thinking about amp denon PMA520AE (is it PM720AE better in any way?) for 135, and speakers Q Acoustics 2020i for 140 (+some cables) = 290 together"

I don't think those speakers are suitable for your room, there are too small, bass will be not enough. With that budget I wouold be looking the used market but even then think you need to spend a bit more. Also you say put them on a desk? Is that one desk or 2 desks?

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
sorry, shoud be just not on a desk :)

i like bass (especially in a kind of music i listen to) but it's old f%$£ victorian house, i can't listen to loud, i don't want to disturb neighbours below/above me.
Wharfedale Diamond 220 then? http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review
200gbp, so total budget increased to 350.

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
sure, i don't want to put them literally at the corners (just NOT on on a desk), i'm stil not sure about studio monitors, because everywhere where i'm reading, they are saying that's the difference - they are more directional and of course different sound - and it sometimes can be tiring after some time? (i'm not looking for ideal reproduction, but for a nice music - from ambient and instrumental music thru electronic/IDM to d'n'b, trance, progressive rock, rock and some pop)

and why almost all hifi (even cheap) loudspeakers are wooden, and most active look cheap and plastic ?

if i'm thinking about amp denon PMA520AE (is it PM720AE better in any way?) for 135, and speakers Q Acoustics 2020i for 140 (+some cables) = 290 together

can you suggest a better active monitors to fill my room ?

pair of Yamahas HS7 is in similar price, Adam F5

a little cheaper
KRK Rokit 5 G3 have a good reviews (as a nice sounding)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
razorjack said:
sorry, shoud be just not on a desk :)

i like bass (especially in a kind of music i listen to) but it's old f%$£ victorian house, i can't listen to loud, i don't want to disturb neighbours below/above me.

Wharfedale Diamond 220 then? http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

200gbp, so total budget increased to 350.

Those should be better, best to audition them first or buy from somewhere you can exchange if not suitable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts