Sorry to repeat myself

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, I posted a while ago but cant remember what I called it. Am about to upgrade my 15 year old Kenwood CD and AMP combo, currently using Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers.

I have organised a demo to hear the Marantz CD6002/PM6002 and the NAD 515BEE/C525BEE combinations with the Rega RS1 speakers.

Was originally interested in the Dali Lektor 2's but they dont hold them in stock. Any comments on the combinations before I audition, and if ( as I probably will have to) buy the componants individually which would you buy first?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:

Hi all, I posted a while ago but cant remember what I called it. Am about to upgrade my 15 year old Kenwood CD and AMP combo, currently using Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers.

I have organised a demo to hear the Marantz CD6002/PM6002 and the NAD 515BEE/C525BEE combinations with the Rega RS1 speakers.

Was originally interested in the Dali Lektor 2's but they dont hold them in stock. Any comments on the combinations before I audition, and if ( as I probably will have to) buy the componants individually which would you buy first?

Shame about the Dali's because (in case you hadn't seen it)

A

Anonymous

Did you mean C325BEE amp, because AFAIK C525BEE and 515BEE are both CD players.

I think the PM6002/CD6002 and 515BEE/C325BEE are both excellent combos. I'd be interested in your opinion of them after the demo.

A

Anonymous

I would say search on here for dacmagic or beresford
emotion-2.gif
thus giving an external dac some serious thought. I personally think it's a big step up playing wav files connected to my dac than any comparitively priced cd player I have heard and plus all the convenience and enjoyment of having all of your cd collection stored and with a click of a button, having them all shuffled for you. Regarding the NAD specifically though, well it depends, if you were willing to go the second hand route you could purchase the NAD C320 BEE, having not heard the C525 BEE I can not say how it compares, but I do know that the NAD 320 bee offers a very full smooth sound, with lots of energy, slam, presence and soundstage, lots of detail to (at least to my ears).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd make sure you hear the brand-new NAD combo - the C545BEE CD player and NAD C326BEE amplifier (both £325; reviews of both in April issue out next week, including Group Test of the CD player against the Marantz and others).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I hope the NAD C326BEE gets five stars.

For no other reason than that being the only way my local dealer will agree to stock it and therefore the only way I will get to hear it! (Currently the Marantz PM6002 has it all it's own way on his shelves with no price competitors. Sitting there all smug with a WHF 5 star poster next to it.)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davey - that sounds good, just unable to demo them with the kit any experience with those speakers

Chainrock - Yes, sorry I did mean that.

Hifi Newbie - Once I have the new componants one of the Beresford DAC's is on my xmas wishlist
emotion-2.gif

Clare - Oooh, now thats tempting, when next week?? I am auditioning on Thursday

Thanks all for all replies so far

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
I hope the NAD C326BEE gets five stars.

For no other reason than that being the only way my local dealer will agree to stock it and therefore the only way I will get to hear it! (Currently the Marantz PM6002 has it all it's own way on his shelves with no price competitors. Sitting there all smug with a WHF 5 star poster next to it.)

And lo, it has 5 stars in 'first review' (page 11) in today's issue. That means I may be able to convince my local Audio T to stock one or two now they can put the WHF 5 star blurb next to it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I'd make sure you hear the brand-new NAD combo - the C545BEE CD player and NAD C326BEE amplifier (both £325; reviews of both in April issue out next week, including Group Test of the CD player against the Marantz and others).

And yet WHF recommend/suggest in todays's new April issue (page 57) partnering the C545BEE with a Rotel amp rather than with it's 'natural' stablemate the 5 starred C326BEE.

T

the record spot

Bear in mind the limitations in upgrading kit around the new NAD amp apparently as stated in the review; £325 well spent otherwise. It's appeal diminishes somewhat if you plan to make a substantial upgrade to your CD player or speakers in time.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Bear in mind the limitations in upgrading kit around the new NAD amp apparently as stated in the review; £325 well spent otherwise. It's appeal diminishes somewhat if you plan to make a substantial upgrade to your CD player or speakers in time.

Yes, I would like to know what speakers were used in the test to prompt the comments about upgrading partnering equipment beyond the C326BEE's capabilites.

I know the review was only a 'first test' but would have still liked to have seen a word or two about it's imaging abilities. Too many reviews (not just WHF but right across the magazine shelf and internet) completely omit to comment on the ability of equipment to produce a decent stereo image. The tangibility or 'there-ness' or three dimensionality that is so important if something is to earn it's description as 'stereo' gets left out in favour of dynamism/slam/grunt/volume/bass depth etc. These all have their place and are important - of course - but the essential first step (for me) is how well a convincing stereo image is portrayed.

A

Anonymous

Well, I guess you will have to wait until the follow up review
emotion-2.gif
however if you get a chance to audition them and it makes your speakers really come to life and sing then it will more than likely be a long term hi fi for you. However point taken, if you are intending to replace the speakers then obviously it's something which will have to be taken into consideration.

A

Anonymous

What would the Dali 2s sound like compared to my aging EPOS ES14s?

A

Anonymous

Thanks - I've got Big Country blasting out of them and they do sound good! Just a tad big for wall mounting...

manicm

chebby:

the record spot:Bear in mind the limitations in upgrading kit around the new NAD amp apparently as stated in the review; £325 well spent otherwise. It's appeal diminishes somewhat if you plan to make a substantial upgrade to your CD player or speakers in time.

Yes, I would like to know what speakers were used in the test to prompt the comments about upgrading partnering equipment beyond the C326BEE's capabilites.

I know the review was only a 'first test' but would have still liked to have seen a word or two about it's imaging abilities. Too many reviews (not just WHF but right across the magazine shelf and internet) completely omit to comment on the ability of equipment to produce a decent stereo image. The tangibility or 'there-ness' or three dimensionality that is so important if something is to earn it's description as 'stereo' gets left out in favour of dynamism/slam/grunt/volume/bass depth etc. These all have their place and are important - of course - but the essential first step (for me) is how well a convincing stereo image is portrayed.

Chebby, you sure we weren't seperated at birth? That's my audio taste exactly! I would trade in an inch of bass for better imaging every time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts