Budget Amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

First time poster asking for advice here and I should say that I am not really a hi fi buff. The new amplifier decision came about because I am not happy with music through my AV system. I had a Marantz AV SR6003
which I loved even for music. This however developed a fault and I replaced
it with a yamaha RXV 1065. This is brilliant on films, better than the
Marantz, but not on music. It hurts a little that the new amplifier is not
as nice sounding on music and therefore I have decided to buy a new Hi Fi
amp. The 1065 has pre outs so I believe I will be able to integrate it ok?
The rest of my system if this list merits the term is Tannoy Front speakers
(M2's I think), Kef Surround speakers (eggs 2005's ?), REL Quake sub bass,
I have an old Sony CD player but actually found sound better on my more expensive DVD
player (pioneer 656A). I am therefore looking to buy a new amplifier and can spend about £300. I am considering the Yamaha AS 500,the Marantz PM 6003, the Rotel RA-04 SE and the Rega Brio 3. There is a Rega brio 3 available second hand locally and I could afford this and upgrade my speakers to the Dali lektor 2's available at RS for £200 at the moment which seem to be well thought of. Would these be a good match or should I wait to hear the other amps and put off the speakers to a later date. Any advice please

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

For £300 ish there is little out there to match the sonic merits of the Yamaha A-S500 amp. The NAD C326 is also brilliant if you want something to compare it to before making up your mind. Buying blind though the Yammy is a beauty.

The Dali's or Wharfedale 10.1's are a good match for either
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well between the four amps you mention, you pretty much have the best listed already. I think from their, it's down to personal preference. Rather than try ans squeeze in two upgrades, think longer term and do them one at a time, that way, you'll end up with a better overall system.

Bush Green:

Hi all

First time poster asking for advice here and I should say that I am not really a hi fi buff. The new amplifier decision came about because I am not happy with music through my AV system. I had a Marantz AV SR6003
which I loved even for music. This however developed a fault and I replaced
it with a yamaha RXV 1065. This is brilliant on films, better than the
Marantz, but not on music. It hurts a little that the new amplifier is not
as nice sounding on music and therefore I have decided to buy a new Hi Fi
amp. The 1065 has pre outs so I believe I will be able to integrate it ok?
The rest of my system if this list merits the term is Tannoy Front speakers
(M2's I think), Kef Surround speakers (eggs 2005's ?), REL Quake sub bass,
I have an old Sony CD player but actually found sound better on my more expensive DVD
player (pioneer 656A). I am therefore looking to buy a new amplifier and can spend about £300. I am considering the Yamaha AS 500,the Marantz PM 6003, the Rotel RA-04 SE and the Rega Brio 3. There is a Rega brio 3 available second hand locally and I could afford this and upgrade my speakers to the Dali lektor 2's available at RS for £200 at the moment which seem to be well thought of. Would these be a good match or should I wait to hear the other amps and put off the speakers to a later date. Any advice please

If you're looking for an amp to go with Dali you need good synergy (like any combo). To that end Arcam would be very hard to beat: for £300, the A85 (or £150 approx the A65+) would be excellent choices for Dali speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts