New speaker upgrade

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I want to share with you all the results of my latest hi-fi purchase. I have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of IPL speakers from Colin at iQ Speakers. My current speakers (Tannoy Precision 6.2) were not really doing it for me - they are good speakers but just not right for me.

Up until now I had bought most of my hi-fi kit blind by snapping up 2nd hand or ex-display bargains. Ultimately this is a bad policy because usually you end up with combinations of kit that don't quite work - even if other people say they do. So to anybody considering a purchase of speakers / amp / streamer / cd player - PLEASE go and listen to it somewhere even if you plan to buy elsewhere to get a good deal. So I was determined to get it right with my new speakers.

Anyway, this week I went up to Cheltenham to see iQ, a 2 hour drive for me each way, which I hoped would be worth it. Boy, it was worth it. I took my Roksan Caspian M2 integrated along with me so I could hear iQ speakers alongside my own amp. Also took a CD with a selection of different tracks - some Massive Attack, Radiohead, Herbie Hancock and a couple of electronic tunes.

First up I listened to the IPL S2TLK connected to my Roksan. It sounds very natural and even-handed (no boosts or dips in the frequency range that I could tell). The ribbon tweeter is excellent. It gives you all the detail and insight into the music without being "bright" or over-bearing. Bass response from the transmission line is also excellent - on some tracks you can feel it, not just hear it! Mid range was great too, instruments and vocals were well layered and seperated.

Right there I had kind of made up my mind, but I also wanted to listen to the smaller floorstander - the IPL M1TLm. This still sounded good, I remembered thinking it was very similar to the larger S2TLK, maybe I would be happier with the smaller model? A few tracks later we switched back to the S2TLK. Wow - I was wrong about them being similar! The larger speaker has soooo much more scale and it really sucks you in more. Strange how the difference seemed greater going from M1TLm to S2TLK than the other way around.

Decision made.

Before I left I also listened to the same speakers hooked up to the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP integrated and the Nord pre/power combo that iQ also offer (pre was a prototype, not yet available!). Regarding Abrahamsen vs Roksan Caspian M2 I hate to admit it but the Abrahamsen was better. Bass was stronger, treble sweeter and better separation in the instruments. They were close, but the Abrahamsen edged it for me, the Roksan was probably 95% of the way there. Annoyingly I now wanted to get the Abrahamsen too - but funds don't permit that right now.

Also had a short session with the Nord pre/power. It was very noticeable how much more power is on tap. The Nords could destroy those speakers if they wanted to! The sound was similar to Abrahamsen, perhaps a slightly more forward treble sound. The Abrahamsen sound is deeper, whereas the Nord sound is a bit more "get up and go". Difficult to describe.

(A detour & some background: about a year ago I owned the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP. I bought direct from Abrahamsen before iQ were the distributor. I really liked the amp back then. I used to have a complicated setup involving an AV receiver / stereo amp / DACs and all sorts of kit. It was too confusing for my other half and child so I sold the Abrahamsen and downsized. BIG MISTAKE. Still regret it to this day. Probably should have bought another Abrahamsen instead of the Roksan....)

Its a good feeling knowing that I have chosen the right thing and that, right now, somewhere in Cheltenham, they are being hand built just for me. I may yet end up buying another Abrahamsen, who knows.

Thanks to Colin for spending his morning with me. He was very friendly and accomodating. I am looking forward to my new speakers very much!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I trust they will sound great when they arrive! I had a recent similar experience with speakers. Although my Totem Arros were extremely good, I wanted something with a little more 'scale' as you put it. I listened to several pairs of speakers in the last 3 years & the Naim Ovator S400s came the closest but their treble was their weakness (a tad harsh) to say nothing about their price being a little more than I want to pay.

I read a review of Quadral's Chromium Style 8s, having hear Quadral speakers at Bristol a couple of years back so was familiar with the brand. They got an unfeasibly good review so rang around to trace a pair to listen too so ended up being taken by a friend from Wokingham to Chalfont St Peter Saturday a week ago. We took my Primare power amp, M-DAC, speaker cable, leads & CDs along for a listen.

The Quadrals are not exactly that small, being just over 1m tall with curving sides & 4 drive units. The biuld quality is stunning. As for their sound, the review rather understated their SQ - they were amazingly good in all respects I could think of. So ended up with a pair.

Before well left, Tony Sallis played some music through the speakers & his own gear to demonstrate that the Quadrals were at home with somewhat better equipment! As a parting shot, he played some music through a pair of TAD CM1 stand mounts that probably cost more than my whole system x3! Yes, they were extremly good.

You have highlighted the need to listen 1st at a dealer you trust. It's easy with speakers but I've gone to listen to CD players before & have been totally unable to distinguish between models! I can understand why many find attending demos so confronting, confusing or overwhelming!

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
On the speakers they're amazing. On your point about the Nord power, the smaller M1 is rated by IPL >1000W so the M2 should be similar. As I was in a masochistic mood recently I tested mine to the limit. Some EDM and the volume slow!y but surely went to 10..the sound was incredible, no distortion, amazing vocals and bass, but the amp just sat there doing what it was told with the speakers sat there saying 'is that alright then?'. It was as much a test of my system as it was of my woodworking skills, and nothing gave way. Don't be scared of trying to wipe the floor with your new kit, although every IPL speaker I've built usually sounded a bit horrid at first. And as you've discovered there ain't no substitute for size, regardless of what people would try and make you believe. Have fun!

Those Quadrals look fabulous too!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I heard those IQ speakers last year, shortly after Colin started his venture and I found exactly the same... the M1's were good, but the ST's were on a different scale.

You will be sure to get top notch service from Colin, he's in the game for the love of it, not to make money, a really genuine guy.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
There was one other observation I had which was we had to turn up my Roksan much higher with the IPL speakers than I normally would with my Tannoys at home. I guess this is down to the sensitivity? The Tannoys are rated at 89 whereas the IPLs are rated at 88 - from what I have seen manufacturers ratings tend not to always be accurate. Has me wondering if I will need more power, so am interested to see how it works out when they are finished.

Colin commented that of all the people he has had in for a demo, I play my music the quietest! I must rectify this...

When you are demo-ing gear, you probably turn it up a bit more than you might at home. And when a speaker handles peaks better, without that glassiness setting it, you may play them at a higher setting too.

1 dB difference is unlikely to be that obvious, but sensitivity if often different to what the manufacturer claims, and your perception of comparable loudness will be affected by the room, the source material, and your mood.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
When you are demo-ing gear, you probably turn it up a bit more than you might at home.  And when a speaker handles peaks better, without that glassiness setting it, you may play them at a higher setting too.

1 dB difference is unlikely to be that obvious, but sensitivity if often different to what the manufacturer claims, and your perception of comparable loudness will be affected by the room, the source material, and your mood.?

+1
Only realize how loud when the assitant tells you to stop shouting ha

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Here are some pictures of my new iQ speakers during the build process:

speakers01.JPG

speakers02.JPG

speakers03.JPG

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:
 Good review, cheers for sharing. 

Sorry to op just wanted to tell you i had a quick listen to k3 last sunday but dont want to derail this thread as its one of the best. Diy speakers very cool

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Before I left I also listened to the same speakers hooked up to the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP integrated and the Nord pre/power combo that iQ also offer (pre was a prototype, not yet available!). Regarding Abrahamsen vs Roksan Caspian M2 I hate to admit it but the Abrahamsen was better. Bass was stronger, treble sweeter and better separation in the instruments. They were close, but the Abrahamsen edged it for me, the Roksan was probably 95% of the way

Also had a short session with the Nord pre/power. It was very noticeable how much more power is on tap. The Nords could destroy those speakers if they wanted to! The sound was similar to Abrahamsen, perhaps a slightly more forward treble sound. The Abrahamsen sound is deeper, whereas the Nord sound is a bit more "get up and go". Difficult to describe.

Its a good feeling knowing that I have chosen the right thing and that, right now, somewhere in Cheltenham, they are being hand built just for me. I may yet end up buying another Abrahamsen, who knows.

Thanks to Colin for spending his morning with me. He was very friendly and accomodating. I am looking forward to my new speakers very much!

Thanks for your impressions and evaluation, particularly of the amps. I am presently searching for a new power amp with the Nord and Abrahamsen top of my list. Unfortunately, Colin's place is more than a 2 hour drive for me so auditioning becomes difficult!

I sold a Caspian power amp as I felt that the sound hardened up with volume and felt that my ATCs deserved even better (although the Roksan was still very good). Wilro, you seem to prefer the sound of the Abrahamsen to the Nord. Is this purely personal preference for the sound or is it affected by price as well (the Nord is more expensive). Also, my speakers are supposed to thrive on power so would the grunt of the Nord be beneficial? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The Nord is more expensive, and it is only a power amp, so you would still need a pre. However, the Nords come in at 400W into 8 ohms, compared with the Abrahamsens' 70W. I know you can't compare watts against watts as there is more to it than that, but still...

I think I did marginally prefer the Abrahamsen sound over Nord. It is really down to personal taste though. We are all after different things from our Hi Fi.

It took me almost 2 hours to get to iQ too. It is worth it, knowing that you have bought the right thing.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If it's only 2 hours from colin I would go for a demo if it was me . I Personally I went for the abrahamsen 2up which was a good choice and now saving for the abrahamsen power amp but not heard the Nord power amps so I can not comment on them

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
If it's only 2 hours from colin I would go for a demo if it was me . I Personally I went for the abrahamsen 2up which was a good choice and now saving for the abrahamsen power amp but not heard the Nord power amps so I can not comment on them

Are you aware that the V2.0 cannot act as a pre-amp?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Are you aware that the V2.0 cannot act as a pre-amp?
I have the v2.0 up version and it has pre outs I have already tried it out so I know

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
You sure? I used to have the UP version too and it only had a tape out (line out), marked "OUT". The spec online says 1 tape out.

Maybe they have updated it the model and added a pre-out?

Check with Colin maybe.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
wilro15 said:
You sure? I used to have the UP version too and it only had a tape out (line out), marked "OUT". The spec online says 1 tape out.

Maybe they have updated it the model and added a pre-out?

Check with Colin maybe.
its not marked as pre out and colin was not sure i put my marantz pm8005 on with the 2up and they were both working togeather by using bi amping

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Back on topic, here is the latest picture for my new IPL S2TLK. First coat of Polyx is on, so is looking nearer to the final colour finish.

speakers05.JPG

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:
Good review, cheers for sharing.

Sorry to op just wanted to tell you i had a quick listen to k3 last sunday but dont want to derail this thread as its one of the best. Diy speakers very cool

You can't just leave me hanging like that! *unknw* *wink* what did you think, what were the speakers used? I'm sure the OP won't mind a slight detour.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts