Sorry now looking for a good streamer

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok sorry I’ve started a new thread but need to sort this out now I’ve changed my mind about speakers and given the advice I’ve had I better try and improve on my sorce so recommendations on streamers please

I have decided I do not want lots of boxes just one really good streamer but I am still want to keep my CD player and I had thought about building a streamer but can’t be asked I just want a one box of tricks that sounds really good and obviously I will demo the models that have been talked about if available locally from where I live

Cno you said the Majik DS, why is this streamer worth the money and what do I get for my money

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea whether you will think the MDS gives VFM...but for me, I have yet to hear a digital Source sound more musical, organic and more like analogue.

I have heard Streamers from Naim, Olive and Cyrus...and DACs from Chord, DCS and Audio Note...and none of them hit the spot.

The Linns are upgradeable, with constantly improving firm wear...and room correction.

Have a listen and see what you think....which is all that really matters.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I have no idea whether you will think the MDS gives VFM...but for me, I have yet to hear a digital Source sound more musical, organic and more like analogue.

I have heard Streamers from Naim, Olive and Cyrus...and DACs from Chord, DCS and Audio Note...and none of them hit the spot.

The Linns are upgradeable, with constantly improving firm wear...and room correction.

Have a listen and see what you think....which is all that really matters.
I read a quick review on the Majik DS, are you talking about the current model ? Priced at £1990 new

now I see that theses streamers from linn have amplifiers built inside and you can make your speakers sound even better by using the speaker optimiser is that any good

And what Dac does linn streamers use

And I read about some power supply that’s recommend that you buy that makes a difference to sound quality

And I also read that if your thinking about buying a Majik DS, it’s probably better to have a ripped music library all ready on a Nas drive is this true

as I do not currently have anything ripped in my library yet as I use CDs still and iTunes downloads

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- There is a Majic DS and a Majik DSM with a built in amp (allowing digital connections including HDMI)
- Linn use Space Optimization, explained here: https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/space-optimisation
- I don't use it, but the other guys on here who own Linn, might give insight.
- Re The DAC....Linn do their own Upsampling:
https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/space-optimisation
http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Why_Linn_DS_is_the_best_way_to_play_CDs
- They upgraded to the Dynamik Power supply years ago...so no need for anything else.
- Yes, you need to rip your collection onto a NAS
- Linn also have a 3 month free trial with Tidal.

I have a long running thread, with lots of useful insight and info:
https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-ds-dsm-thread

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
- There is a Majic DS and a Majik DSM with a built in amp (allowing digital connections including HDMI)
- Linn use Space Optimization, explained here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Why_Linn_DS_is_the_best_way_to_pla...
- They upgraded to the Dynamik Power supply years ago...so no need for anything else.
- Yes, you need to rip your collection onto a NAS
- Linn also have a 3 month free trial with Tidal.

I have a long running thread, with lots of useful insight and info:
https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-ds-dsm-thread

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gasolin said:
What is wrong with your streamer? Don't you just need a better dac if you want better sound?
I certainly think that any solution has to beat the Oppo, or there would be no point. I can't comment as I have never heard an Oppo...but they have a great reputation.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
- There is a Majic DS and a Majik DSM with a built in amp (allowing digital connections including HDMI) - Linn use Space Optimization, explained here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Why_Linn_DS_is_the_best_way_to_pla... - They upgraded to the Dynamik Power supply years ago...so no need for anything else. - Yes, you need to rip your collection onto a NAS - Linn also have a 3 month free trial with Tidal.

I have a long running thread, with lots of useful insight and info: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-ds-dsm-thread
thanks for the help Cnoevil *smile*

So I still got to factor in the cost of a Nas is there any other streamers that’s just as good as a linn streamers sound wise and obviously I wanted to make this simplistic as possible without loads of boxes .

So ideally I was looking for something that would do the lot ripping , software included , good sound quality , good Dac and maybe plugging in storage as my concern with built in storage is if the drivers go wrong inside .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
- There is a Majic DS and a Majik DSM with a built in amp (allowing digital connections including HDMI) - Linn use Space Optimization, explained here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Why_Linn_DS_is_the_best_way_to_pla... - They upgraded to the Dynamik Power supply years ago...so no need for anything else. - Yes, you need to rip your collection onto a NAS - Linn also have a 3 month free trial with Tidal.

I have a long running thread, with lots of useful insight and info: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-ds-dsm-thread
thanks for the help Cnoevil  *smile* 

So I still got to factor in the cost of a Nas is there any other streamers that’s just as good as a linn streamers sound wise and obviously I wanted to make this simplistic as possible without loads of boxes .

So ideally I was looking for something that would do the lot ripping , software included , good sound quality , good Dac and maybe plugging in storage as my concern with built in storage is if the drivers go wrong inside .

Does everything you mentioned above. And should be available in richer sounds for a demo. There might be superior sounding streamers, but this is the only one I know that crams all the functionality you are looking for.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The CA CXN Streamer seems to give vfm...but I suspect will be more lively and forward sounding than the Linn.

It may be that the Oppo you already own is the sensible solution.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
the oppo is not bad as a transport it's not great though.

I found it sluggish changing tracks and stuff recently for my upgrade videos.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BS, you have just missed a Linn Majik DS on ebay for £799, seems to be from a dealer. So if you go down the Linn streamer route you maybe able to get one for about £800. Don't know about NAS.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:

thanks for the help Cnoevil *smile*

Does everything you mentioned above. And should be available in richer sounds for a demo. There might be superior sounding streamers, but this is the only one I know that crams all the functionality you are looking for.
bluesound vault looks up my street but built in hard drive what happens if the hard drive goes wrong so maybe the Nas is the better idea then at least I can change a bad hard drive .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
It's easy for us to help you spend your money but if you spend it all on a streamer for very small improvement in sq.

You may miss an opportunity to get speakers that you want in the future.
Why don't you save more over the next few months and see where you are then and how you feel.

You already have a streamer you can set up.
Why not set up a Nas instead with your Yamaha streamer and see how it works

daveh75

Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok sorry I’ve started a new thread but need to sort this out now I’ve changed my mind about speakers and given the advice I’ve had I better try and improve on my sorce so recommendations on streamers please

I have decided I do not want lots of boxes just one really good streamer but I am still want to keep my CD player and I had thought about building a streamer but can’t be asked I just want a one box of tricks that sounds really good and obviously I will demo the models that have been talked about if available locally from where I live

Cno you said the Majik DS, why is this streamer worth the money and what do I get for my money

I'm sure we've been here before and very recently, but what is wrong with your WXC-50?

I said it last time, but I think you're incredibly naive, and there's too many BS perpetuators on here all too willing to waste your money for absolutely no benefit...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I'm sure we've been here before and very recently, but what is wrong with your WXC-50?

I said it last time, but I think you're incredibly naive, and there's too many BS perpetuators on here all too willing to waste your money for absolutely no benefit...
Yes I know speakers was the way I wanted to go but need to keep saving more money now I’ve turned down the Dali rubicons if I keep with the speaker idea .

Theres nothing wrong in the Yamaha wxc50 I just haven’t listened to any other streamers to find out if it’s true about streamers like the Majik DS, in regards of sound quality .

I had the idea of buying a better Dac and I was told there are small differences between Dac’s as I was interested in the new chord Dac . .

At least I am not bashing on about cables I am trying to make a worthwhile upgrade and speakers was my thinking and changing the Dac that’s all and to carry on with the Yamaha wxc50 which is one little box of tricks that does the job .

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes I know speakers was the way I wanted to go but need to keep saving more money now I’ve turned down the Dali rubicons if I keep with the speaker idea .

Theres nothing wrong in the Yamaha wxc50 I just haven’t listened to any other streamers to find out if it’s true about streamers like the Majik DS, in regards of sound quality .

I had the idea of buying a better Dac and I was told there are small differences between Dac’s as I was interested in the new chord Dac . .

At least I am not bashing on about cables I am trying to make a worthwhile upgrade and speakers was my thinking and changing the Dac that’s all and to carry on with the Yamaha wxc50 which is one little box of tricks that does the job .

The differences that you have concluded are offered by different DACs are similarly offered by streamers. I have tried lots and the differences between them are more about presentation than quality (e.g. Linn is rather more reserved whilst Naim products are renowned for their upfront presentation of music). The likes of Pioneer and Denon make perfectly good streamers at relatively low cost.

I honestly think you are going to drive yourself bonkers looking for the Holy Grail of 'better' (and that's intended to be helpful rather than critical). Paired with the standard of amplification you have and the existing speakers you'll probably struggle to justify the likely expense of something like a Linn over and above using your A-S3000 with the Yamaha streamer.

If I were you I'd get myself a NAS drive, get your music on that and enjoy the benefits of streaming your own music as your setup allows. Once you get used to that (and you will) then's the time to look at spending on an upgrade if indeed you feel the need to do so. When I bought a NAS it changed the whole nature of listening to music and provides a really flexible solution to enjoying it.

Let us know how you get on. If you are dead set on getting another streamer there'll be plenty to choose from.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:

I have a long running thread, with lots of useful insight and info: www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
bluesound vault looks up my street but built in hard drive what happens if the hard drive goes wrong so maybe the Nas is the better idea then at least I can change a bad hard drive .

The hard drive is bound to break down eventually, given enough time. This is the nature of mechanical devices. It can be replaced though, although this is not really a DIY job. The Vault 2 includes a simple backup utility to save you from having to rip all of your CDs again, if and when a drive failure does occur. For what it is worth, the load placed on the drive by ripping, serving and playing back audio files is not particularly taxing and you can expect a long service life from the built-in drive.

I sell a lot of Bluesound products and I have only ever seen one "failure". That was brand new Vault 2 that got beaten up in the post on its way here, which could just as easily happen to any other product. It was promptly replaced with a brand new unit. I have yet to come across a failure of any kind with a unit which is in a customer's hands.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Or an Innuous Zen MKII, supposedly better SQ than the Bluesound.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I sell Innuos products too. The Zen is a somewhat different design from the Bluesound Vault 2. It will serve up music over Ethernet, but you can also connect it directly to a USB DAC. With a DAC which has an asynchronous USB input, the DAC really becomes the limiting factor. Innuos music servers have a more flexible software feature set too. They come as standard with LMS, UPnP and Sonos integrations and will stream from TIDAL, Qobuz and Spotify. You can also run them as Roon Ready endpoints or as Roon Core servers. They include a web-based interface for managing import and export, backups to disk or NAS drives and manually tagging files when required.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
on this one, we'll all spend your money on different hardware and all claim you've got the best for the cash. Personally I'd sell the Yam, get a no-frills media player, big USB drive in, optical out into a DAC of your choice, and that's it. Unless you have major room modes to cure you don't need DSP, with no disrespect to Cno that discounts the Linn as much of that (seemingly ridiculous) asking price must be the DSP factor, and returns a big wedge in your back pocket. Backup? Big drives are cheap so get two, it's that simple. The drive doesn't have to be next to the media player either it can be hidden away (mine is 6' from the hi-fi) so there's actually nothing there to affect the WAF. Save even more money by (can this be done??) plugging said USB drive into the Yammy. Now come on it's time consuming to rip everything but once done it's done and backed up. I'm sure lindsayt will say a ten bob DAC will sound ace so thats over a grand you've saved on that alone as I remember you hankering for the Chord Qutest. It's your money Sabbs but spend wise and only once.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:

I have a long running thread, with lots of useful insight and info: www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Doesn't have a inbuilt DAC. And blacksabbath is looking for a all in one box of tricks with DAC too. But the innuos is a great option if he is willing to go with a external DAC.

But I think the bluesound vault will be a great place to start. Sensibly priced, easy to rip, can back up on NAS, has a decent inbuilt DAC.

But I think blacksabbath has to think long and hard before he decides. I think we are all going too fast with this. I can see how my own decisions change everyday. So more time the better.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Theres nothing wrong in the Yamaha wxc50 I just haven’t listened to any other streamers to find out if it’s true about streamers like the Majik DS, in regards of sound quality .

At least I am not bashing on about cables I am trying to make a worthwhile upgrade and speakers was my thinking and changing the Dac that’s all and to carry on with the Yamaha wxc50 which is one little box of tricks that does the job  .

The differences that you have concluded are offered by different DACs are similarly offered by streamers.  I have tried lots and the differences between them are more about presentation than quality (e.g. Linn is rather more reserved whilst Naim products are renowned for their upfront presentation of music). The likes of Pioneer and Denon make perfectly good streamers at relatively low cost.

I honestly think you are going to drive yourself bonkers looking for the Holy Grail of 'better' (and that's intended to be helpful rather than critical).  Paired with the standard of amplification you have and the existing speakers you'll probably struggle to justify the likely expense of something like a Linn over and above using your A-S3000 with the Yamaha streamer.

If I were you I'd get myself a NAS drive, get your music on that and enjoy the benefits of streaming your own music as your setup allows.  Once you get used to that (and you will) then's the time to look at spending on an upgrade if indeed you feel the need to do so. When I bought a NAS it changed the whole nature of listening to music and provides a really flexible solution to enjoying it.

Let us know how you get on. If you are dead set on getting another streamer there'll be plenty to choose from.

+1

Irrespective of what digital front end you choose. You will always need a NAS to benefit from the convenience of streaming. And ripped CD's from NAS usually sound better than CD player too. You can add a external DAC later if you so wish. Then the wxc-50 can continue serving for now.

I am totally dumb at computers , and after much research went with a WD my cloud 4 tb drive. I managed to set it up in under 5 mins. Has never dropped connection once in the last 6 months. I would urge you to get one, and use the wxc-50 for streaming from that, for a start :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts