Sony STR2400

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Sony STR2400 connected to a Sony PS3 (old style) by HDMI cable to BD input and then output by HDMI cable to Sony Bravia 40" television. I have attempted to set up the audio, however no matter what I seem to do when I play Blu Ray discs be they DTS - HD, Dolby -HD etc all the receiver displays is LPCM (48) , HDMI and nothing else. Any ideas?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That's how the PS3 you have outputs HD audio soundtracks - DTS HD and Dolby HD. It's nothing to be concerned about, nor is it a drawback: the PS3 simply 'unpacks' the HD soundtrack and outputs it as multichannel Linear PCM.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the quick reply. Saves me panicking over nothing. If I was to purchase the new 360 or 760 Sony Blu Ray players, would the audio output be dealt with in a different way?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, they (or a new PS3 'Slim') can bitstream the audio via HDMI to your receiver, which will then do the format-decoding itself.

However, you're unlikely in that set up to see/hear too many benefits by upgrading from a PS3 to the S360 - slightly smoother picture and DVD upscaling, but not night-and-day difference.

The Sony S760, however, should offer a clearly noticeable upgrade - for picture and sound.

A

Anonymous

I already have an older PS3 purchased in the last 12 months connected to my Sony Bravia TV. I have been wanting to purchase Sony separates to complete the system. I have given away the issue of WhatHi where the sony S360 and receiver (i know think may be the 2400) where reviewed in a group test.

That aside I am know thinking of adding the 2400 you say that the S360 won't provide much benefit and recommend the S760 but what about the S560 ?

Also would the Q Acoustics 2000 cinema pack be a good speaker choice ? also would a 7.1 upgrade option be worth taking.

Regards Mark

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The S560 is the same as the S360 but with added features like wifi........

The S760 would be the one to get to increase performance from your PS3.......

The QA speakers are very good of the money.......even better with the 2050 at the front, I imagine. It was the case with the older 1010i 5.1 version.

Finally - 7.1 would depend on size of room really. Smaal room-no need, large room - would be a good idea, in my opinion....

TRENDING THREADS