Sony STR-DA2400ES sound sync problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been using the Sony STR-DA2400ES receiver with Sky HD and blu-ray (Pioneer BDP-FD51) for some time now and still have an infuriating problem getting the sound to synchronise with the TV picture (Sony KDL 46W4500).

I know there's an option to add a delay in the receiver's audio menu of up to 300ms; however, the sync problem isn't always present and, when it is, I'm never sure what to set the delay to. I quite often have to keep pausing viewing to try and correct the sound fault which is very annoying.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of firmware update that might correct this problem permanently?

Thanks.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi John,

This probably doesn't help but I get wandering sync with with my Sky HD box all the time. My AVR has an Auto-Lip Sync setting where it gets fed the amount of delay to use from the HDMI connection to the TV and that works for all my other sources with no additional offset. The Sky HD is fine 60 % of the time and then randomly wanders off and, like you say, the best way to sort it is to pause and play again.

Tom

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnK:
I've been using the Sony STR-DA2400ES receiver with Sky HD and blu-ray (Pioneer BDP-FD51) for some time now and still have an infuriating problem getting the sound to synchronise with the TV picture (Sony KDL 46W4500).

I know there's an option to add a delay in the receiver's audio menu of up to 300ms; however, the sync problem isn't always present and, when it is, I'm never sure what to set the delay to. I quite often have to keep pausing viewing to try and correct the sound fault which is very annoying.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of firmware update that might correct this problem permanently?

Thanks.

If you use hdmi 1.3 cables from receiver to BD player and LCD to receiver, you will get auto lip sync when watching BD and DVD from your Pioneer. However, the Sky HD box is not 1.3 compatible. Apparently the latest firmware offers an improvement. If you hold the standby button down on the HD box and switch off at the mains, and then switch back on (still holding the standby button down) and wait until the screen comes back on, you will get info on checking for the latest firmware. I haven't tried this myself yet. The problem with Sky is most AV receivers, if not all, offer lip sync delay but you need to amend the problem the other way so it's of no help.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. It's the inconsistency I find odd. Sometimes it's okay and other times it's miles out. I can't really see a pattern - it's not as though it's just the HD channels for example.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again.

I'm using high quality QED HDMI cables and I had presumed they were the latest specification; however, the sync definitely wanders on blu ray. I know Sky HD has its own delay option for sound sync. I find it very hard to judge what level to set it on as it seems to vary from broadcast to broadcast.

I updated to the latest firmware for the blu ray player and the notes for that said it did correct for a sound sync problem; however, I can't say I've noticed any difference.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnK:
Thanks again.

I'm using high quality QED HDMI cables and I had presumed they were the latest specification; however, the sync definitely wanders on blu ray. I know Sky HD has its own delay option for sound sync. I find it very hard to judge what level to set it on as it seems to vary from broadcast to broadcast.

I updated to the latest firmware for the blu ray player and the notes for that said it did correct for a sound sync problem; however, I can't say I've noticed any difference.

Those cables will be 1.3. If you have your amp's delay on, this might mess the bluray playback.

A

Anonymous

It's not been on on the amp normally except where the blu ray seemed out of sync so I'm still getting a problem.

In a way, it's a small problem but once, you notice it, it's really annoying.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnK:
It's not been on on the amp normally except where the blu ray seemed out of sync so I'm still getting a problem.

In a way, it's a small problem but once, you notice it, it's really annoying.

Do you have the same hdmi cable going from screen to receiver?

A

Anonymous

Yes, I bought the QED cables for all connections. They weren't cheap!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts